It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User
How Do I Increase Vitamin D level

I am new to this board. My problem is that my vitamin D level is extremely low. I just found out today and I am worried about it. According to the lab report, it is at 19 when it should be above 30. I know nothing about how to increase it. My doctor just said to take 2000iu's a day. My question is how can I raise it faster. I walk every day, but this year I have been walking indoors as opposed to walking outside. (It's sooo hot in Texas!) Would the sun be beneficial to me? I am over 65, African American, female. Not overweight (135 lbs) and have no thyroid issues. My HDL was also lower than it should be. I take 30 mg lisinopril for hypertension. I have been feeling tired and sluggish this summer which is why I requested the lab tests. This is frightening to me. I do not know where to begin. Does anyone have thoughts or ideas for me?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: How Do I Increase Vitamin D level

Hi Pat,

If you can get just 20 minutes of noon day sun on your skin that would be great. But you'll probably need to supplement as well. This is a product that I like and it is very absorbable. It is made by Biotics Research and is called Bio D-Mulsion Forte. Just two drops in H20 will supply 4,000 IU, which is what you should probably start with. Your symptoms may be due to the low D.

All the best with this,

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
Pat Texas (08-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Hi Jen,
Thanks for your advice. I have already started the vitamin D drops using a brand that I purchased at the health food store. I will switch to the Bio D-Mulsion Forte as soon as it arrives. I have never been a sun worshipper, however, I was able to tolerate the noon sun for a few minutes yesterday. I'll have to work up to 20 minutes a day. I also changed my morning walk to an outside walk. Normally I walk at 6:30 am inside the mall because it is cooler. Hopefully these changes will help to increase my D levels.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

The sun is not that useful if you are one who bathes daily. The benefits of the sun are dependent on the skin oils being undisturbed.

Be sure you are using Vitamin D3. I would recommend a much more aggressive approach...like 10K ius or more daily for a month or two, then dropping back. I used 150K a week for several months to get mine into a normal range. Some people just don't absorb it well, and I guess I'm one of them.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brocallie For This Useful Post:
Pat Texas (08-14-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Be careful and do not try to increase vitamin D level too fast.

High doses of vitamin D can cause your body to end up with high blood calcium level which is not good.

I was taking 5,000 I.U. daily for a year and my blood calcium level went out of normal range. With that dose it took a year for my vitamin D level to go from 26 to 54. After stopping Vitamin D as well as Citrical for 4 months my vitamin D level dropped down to 29. My new internal medicine physician now has me on 800 IU daily. Due to skin cancers I am not able to be in the sun.

Best to take only what your doctor prescribes to avoid getting other problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misty800 For This Useful Post:
Pat Texas (08-29-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
(female)

toughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB User

Hi Pat Tex, I suggest you buy dairy products with whole milk. You can find any of these items such as yougurt, cheese, and ice cream at your local grocery store. Also, taking a multi vitamin is an excellent source of vitamin D. I hope I helped you.

The Following User Says Thank You to toughgal012 For This Useful Post:
Pat Texas (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughgal012 View Post
Hi Pat Tex, I suggest you buy dairy products with whole milk. You can find any of these items such as yougurt, cheese, and ice cream at your local grocery store. Also, taking a multi vitamin is an excellent source of vitamin D. I hope I helped you.
Milk from a local grocery has in it BGH a bovine growth hormone. I would advise avoiding anything that has this added. If you want to drink milk, a health food store that carries organic would be a better choice. However, many people with Vitamin D deficiencies have the added problem of poor absorption; therefore, they need the added supplements.

Last edited by jenj770; 08-30-2012 at 06:03 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
Pat Texas (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
(female)

toughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Milk from a local grocery has in it BHT, a bovine growth hormone. I would advise avoiding anything that has this added. If you want to drink milk, a health food store that carries organic would be a better choice. However, many people with Vitamin D deficiencies have the added problem of poor absorption; therefore, they need the added supplements.
Any product has health risks out here. Don't let the health food store fool you into thinking their food is safe. The milk in stores is as good as the ones in organic markets, they just want to sell high priced items.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughgal012 View Post
Any product has health risks out here. Don't let the health food store fool you into thinking their food is safe. The milk in stores is as good as the ones in organic markets, they just want to sell high priced items.
Bovine growth hormone (BGH) is a genetically engineered growth hormone that is injected into cows to increase their milk production, and make more money. It not only has adverse affects for the cows but is transferred to humans, along with the antibiotics and pesticides used. The American Cancer Society alone has reported issues that have arisen regarding human health and BGH. I don't think that in any way organic products are the same as those full of BGH, antibiotics and pesticides. Of course, "to each his/her own", but I would suggest a person at least do some research on what they are ingesting . . . if there is a question and/or they want to maintain optimum health.

Last edited by jenj770; 08-30-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Reply Reply