It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
(female)

LucyBee210 HB UserLucyBee210 HB User
Question Pills vs B12 Injections... ???

i've been told I am Vitamin B deficient at a dangerously low level. I have been taking B Complex but the neurologist I am seeing for another issue told me I am wasting money and time taking the pill and that I need a B12 injection every month to bring the level up. Does anyone agree with that?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
(female)

coping1 HB User
Re: Pills vs B12 Injections .. ??

LucyBee,
I am deficient in B12 for a variety of medical reasons and I get vitamin B12 injections regularly-sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly, depending on how low my levels get. I can tell a HUGE difference when my level is up-mentally and physically!
I used to try and supplement with pills but now just get the injections.
I have monthly plasmapheresis which washes out B12 and I have a blood disorder which causes me to be deficient, so we have to stay on top of it.
If you are that low and your Dr. recommends the shots I would go with it. I think you will be surprised how much better you feel when you are at a normal level.

Hope this helps & you get your levels up!!

~Coping

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks for your input...I think I should definitely go with the injections....

Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
(female)

No, I have not had that problem. Since I take other medications which tend to cause constipation that is expected. I would check with your doctor on your question. Welcome to the boards....

Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
(female)

coping1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissretro View Post
hi, i was wondering if you guys get constipation or diarrhea by not taking b12 cause im starting to wonder if i need this cause i have anemia and ever since i had that i had both diarrhea and constipation and now wonder if this is the problem, my doctor never told me about taking b12, she just told me to take iron... but my iron always goes low after a while of taking it
I have not noticed these symptoms when I am low on B12-Just low energy, light-headedness and really bad brain fog, but I have heard that some people get upset stomach and can get diarrhea and constipation.
I cannot take oral iron because it upsets my stomach-I have to take iron infusions.
You might want to ask your doctor about checking your B12 levels.

Hope you feel better!!

~Coping

Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

I feel perfectly fine but my blood tests show dangerously low B12 levels. I go soon to see him and I will tell him I'd prefer the B12 injections instead of the pills ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by coping1 View Post
I have not noticed these symptoms when I am low on B12-Just low energy, light-headedness and really bad brain fog, but I have heard that some people get upset stomach and can get diarrhea and constipation.
I cannot take oral iron because it upsets my stomach-I have to take iron infusions.
You might want to ask your doctor about checking your B12 levels.

Hope you feel better!!

~Coping

Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

coping1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBee210 View Post
I feel perfectly fine but my blood tests show dangerously low B12 levels. I go soon to see him and I will tell him I'd prefer the B12 injections instead of the pills ..
LucyBee,
Do you know what your levels are? If your levels are that low I think you might be surprised how much better you will feel if you get them into the normal range.
I didn't realize how off I was feeling until I started getting the injections and started feeling so much clearer and had much more energy. I have a lot of other medical issues that we are dealing with but I can now really tell when I am low on B12. My Dr used to test me to see when I needed the injections-now I can just tell when I am low and we go by that.

I've learned that sometimes you can't tell when something is not quite right until you look back and see the difference......if that makes sense:/

Good luck!

~Coping

Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
(female)

Hi Coping: I do not know what my levels are but according to my doctor he said it was dangerously low and then told me to start taking the vitamin .. pill form. I, too, have other medical issues I am dealing with right now and just blame my tiredness and lack of energy on those other issues but now that I think about it, it makes sense that my deficiency could be the culprit. I go soon and will find out when I can start the injections which I am going to insist on. Thanks for your input...

Reply Reply