It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
(male)

BillyBob2007 HB User
How many of these pills do I need?

Male, 61 years old, 5'9", 172 lbs.
B.P. 149/88
LDL 145 mg/dl
HDL 49 mg/dl
Total Cholesterol 221 mg/dl
triglycerides 183 mg/dl

Until about 5 years ago I've always enjoyed near perfect health. Normal bp was 110/70. I've had frequent heartburn since I was a kid. My weight for about 35 years climbed slowly from 140 to 155 then about 7 years ago I moved and have been living a more sedate life style (lazy) and staying on the internet far too much. I've gained almost 20 lbs! I've always been slim but now am a bit stocky. For about 30 years I've had a BIG breakfast almost every morning .. 2-3 eggs, 2 biscuits or pancakes w/ syrup, 2 bacon or sausage. Very light lunch with a healthy supper (always meat & veggies). Now I'm eating oatmeal, blue berries, and or honey nut cheerio's or similar for breakfast and limiting read meat to once a week and poultry or fish the rest of the time... I've put on 5 lbs in two weeks!!!! Probably from lack of exercise.
A couple of weeks ago I discovered that I have a condition called Peyronie's disease which likely was started by a mild trauma leading to plaque and fibrous tissue build up. I had not seen a doctor in over 4 years. So, went to my doc for his advice. He didn't know much about Peyronies but did give me a script for ciprofloxin which might help a little since I had mild urethritis. The condition has a very very good chance to self correct with supplements and a little care.
After LOTS of research and reading here's what I've acquired... I think this is TOO MUCH. Just looking for opinions as to what I should really be taking or concerned with.
PABA (to help with Peyronie's)
aspirin
One a Day men's vitamins
Super B-complex
Vitamin E 400
Niacin (flush free since I didn't know the difference with REAL Niacin)
Red Yeast Rice.
This is A LOT of pills!!!
More info.... 5 years ago my chiropractor and dentist told me I've been losing bone mass (probably from lack of exercise, slowing down with age and just plain getting lazy). I've lost half of my top teeth since then. I went to my doctor to check this out and he said I was perfectly normal... no problems at all at that time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: How many of these pills do I need?

As I've aged I've had similar issues for me the red rice yeast did nothing to lower my cholesterol. I pretty sure I've tried everyone possible and none lowered it so I unfortunately
Had to go on Crestor 10 mg which in three months lowered the bad and raised the good not sure how but my Dr was right he is also older and is on it himself. I have what seems like way to many supplements and out of the 35 plus I have bought over the last two years and besides the crestor I oly now take D3,B12,magnesuim citrate fish oil. Now for the kicker I take Nattokanise supplement by Solgar to keep my BP in the normal range without it I am 140-85 on average with it 128/79 seems crazy but it works for me good getting old stinks but what are you going to do

Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
(male)

BillyBob2007 HB User

Thanks Stretch. Nattokinase is one of things included in a concoction that I'm sure is way overpriced and sold online for treatment of Peyronie's disease. Since you say it does what it does then I'm going to add that to my arsenal. I have my commercial driver's license and having a bp greater than 140/80 jeopardizes it. For sure, if any way possible I'm not going to let myself get in the shape some guys with Peyronie's get in. Bad enough to have a Johnson that's a bit unusual but to not be able to use it could make life pretty tough.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
(male)

BillyBob2007 HB User

I don't know if there is a significant difference in manufacturers or the distributors but Walgreen's is a trusted name and they carry nattokinase in affordable prices.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

I wold think what ever brand you take would be just fine. I to have a class A here in California when I go to take my DOT physical I always take two aspirin one hour prior to going as added insurance.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
(male)

BillyBob2007 HB User

Since my 1st post I have received a bp monitor ordered online from Walgreen's. It seems to be made very well. At first I was getting quite a variation in the readings but now that I've had more experience with it the measurements seem to be fairly close and believable. I had planned to go to Walmart and to Walgreen's to compare this machine to their blood pressure stations. When I went to town last night both places had removed their blood pressure stations so I'll either go to the fire station or go to a couple of drug stores while the pharmacist is on duty. For sure, when and if I do go back to a doctor I'll take it with me to compare their readings to my machine.
Now... after 2 weeks of supplements & walking 2 miles or other (paddling a canoe) my bp (according to this monitor) has come down to almost perfection. I've more or less done a lot of experimenting, a.k.a. played with my new toy! On the high side I get 130/83. This morning it was 117/79. Over the weekend girlfriend was here. After 3 martinis and some serious love making I took my blood pressure and wondered if I was having heart failure! 97/73... so, something and I'm quite sure the alcohol and exercise had a little to do with it along with some serious relaxation... but I'm apt to take shot at checking it after a couple of drinks out of curiosity. I do know that abuse of alcohol can cause a chronic rise in blood pressure but a drink now and then will lower it for a short period.... so, if I'm thinking that if this theory is correct then I might just have a couple of drinks before taking a blood pressure test to qualify for a CDL or anything else. On the rest of this subject it appears that the remedies I've employed have done a marvelous job as intended and the last addition was the PABA which seems to have brought about very stable blood pressure measurements. I'm on the lookout for any changes in mood, skin, etc. I plan on keeping up this regimen for at least 30 days then more or less experimenting with removing one supplement at a time while constantly monitoring bp and checking cholesterol at intervals. I don't know the cost of blood lab profiles but if they're affordable I'll do that too.
I just checked my bp after eating a couple of pineapple sandwiches 133/84.. UP! So, there's another clue. (had just finished smoking a cigarette which may skew the results).

Last edited by BillyBob2007; 01-13-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Closed Thread