It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
(female)

jazzmynn123 HB User
very confused about dosage, help!!

I had blood work a couple of weeks ago. My vitamin d level was 29, so my Dr said to take 2,000 iu of d3 twice a day.
I called back a few days later to ask if low d can cause fatigue, irritability, anxiety, depression and muscle aches. He then said to take 5,000 iu twice a easy instead.
I have one kidney, but he said he will recheck my d level and kidney function in June.
Is 5,000 iu twice a day a high dose?
I am so scared of toxicity.
I don't know if taking 5,000 in once a day will even help.
Also, is this the same as taking prescription d at 50,000 iu twice a week? I have been on that before.
This situation has caused me tremendous anxiety. I need advice!
Thank You

Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
(female)

snowbell60 HB User
Re: very confused about dosage, help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmynn123 View Post
I had blood work a couple of weeks ago. My vitamin d level was 29, so my Dr said to take 2,000 iu of d3 twice a day.
I called back a few days later to ask if low d can cause fatigue, irritability, anxiety, depression and muscle aches. He then said to take 5,000 iu twice a easy instead.
I have one kidney, but he said he will recheck my d level and kidney function in June.
Is 5,000 iu twice a day a high dose?
I am so scared of toxicity.
I don't know if taking 5,000 in once a day will even help.
Also, is this the same as taking prescription d at 50,000 iu twice a week? I have been on that before.
This situation has caused me tremendous anxiety. I need advice!
Thank You
Mine was low also like a year ago - at 25. I took 1000 IU a day and was able to bring it up to 32 in about 5 months. I still get anxiety and depression but that's because of some situations in life. It does help with the moods though. Maybe you can try 2000 IU for a bit and see if that helps ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Mine just came back at 25. My doctor told me to take 2000 IU a day and get out into the sun. I feel like crap and I know it takes awhile to raise the level. I hope you are feeling better since it has been awhile since your post. I hope all is well. Let us know if you get the chance.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
(female)

MyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB User

There is a chart I've seen on a couple of hospital web sites (I'm based in the UK) which gives prescribing practitioners the amount of Vitamin D3 patients should take for 3 months to bring levels up to the insufficient range. I've also seen it on one US based site.

If your doctor states you have to take a high dose of vitamin D3 for 3 months they are using this chart and you are not taking a high dose that will lead to toxicity.

If they tell you to take a lower dose they are following older prescribing guidelines where they don't think your deficiency is causing you problems. Therefore it's vital that if you have vague pain symptoms you make a fuss at the doctors so they actually bother to go and look at the newer research.

2,000IU is a maintenance dose recommended if your level is insufficient, or after your deficiency has improved to insufficient. Again the doctor should give you a time scale that you should take this dose for.

Closed Thread