It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

snowbell60 HB User
Vitamin D Side Effects - Hungry and Sleepy ?

Just wondering if Vitamin D makes anyone hungry and sleepy ? I am on the lower side of Vit D levels and been asked to take 1000 IU daily. However, I feel it makes me hungry everytime I take it and tired/sleepy too. I though Vitamin D was supposed to wake you up. It upsets my stomach too, so I am wondering if it gives me acid relfux. Anyone else experienced any side effects from Vitamin D ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
(male)

AAK HB User
Re: Vitamin D Side Effects - Hungry and Sleepy ?

snowball , I am also taking 1000 iu of calcium but haven't felt any side effect as yet......it has been 2 months since I started .....though I had reflux problem much before taking calcium...on the other hand I think I don't feel much hungry now ..but this could be becoz of other vitamins I am taking....
cheer up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
snowball , I am also taking 1000 iu of calcium but haven't felt any side effect as yet......it has been 2 months since I started .....though I had reflux problem much before taking calcium...on the other hand I think I don't feel much hungry now ..but this could be becoz of other vitamins I am taking....
cheer up
Thank you for your reply. Is it Calcium or Vitamin D that you are taking ? What time of the day do you usually take it ?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
(male)

AAK HB User

my apology its in fact vitamin D....
and you ???
I take it with breakfast....

Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

I was taking it after breakfast but now started experimenting it late evening. I feel it makes me sleep deeper when I take it at night.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

yes, vitamin d made me incredibly sleepy every time I took it, when I say sleepy I mean I couldn't even function for the next few hours which of course was when I was meant to take my next 1000iu dose. I tried cutting back to even just one dose a day and it was still the same problem.

Last edited by captjane; 04-04-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

Happens to me as well. I feel really light-headed and tired. How are you taking it now ? in the evening ?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

I gave up on taking the pills and am getting it from more sun exposure now. I was meant to be taking 4000iu a day because my levels were so low but there was just no way it would work with the sleepiness. I talked it over with my endo and we went through the ingredients but couldn't figure out why it made me react that way.

Last edited by captjane; 04-04-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjane View Post
I gave up on taking the pills and am getting it from more sun exposure now. I was meant to be taking 4000iu a day because my levels were so low but there was just no way it would work with the sleepiness. I talked it over with my endo and we went through the ingredients but couldn't figure out why it made me react that way.
Mine is on the lower end of the normal (32). I have tried different kinds but each one of them makes me sleepy. I read somewhere that Vitamin D needs Magnesium and low levels of Magnesium can give Vitamin D side effects. I am not sure what my magnesium levels are.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

I've just been doing some reading on magnesium and it sounds pretty safe to take as long as your kidneys are healthy. I think I should start taking some myself as well.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
(female)

marcia1530 HB User

Hi There. I was low in vitamin d..and took it for 3 weeks and it went back up into the normal range..i dont remember feeling tired on it..not sure about hungry..but i dont remember feeling sleepy on it..in fact i felt more fog free if that makes sense...more awake..i am also on nexium for acid reflux so would take nexium in the morning and the vitamin d with food at lunch time...i was suprised my levels went up after only 3 weeks on it and only 1000 ius a day..must be the australian sunshine..

I am however low in iron and starting taking iron supplements for 2 days and had palpitations and lovely constipation(which may have caused the palpitations) so am looking at take herbal iron instead..vitamin d was a breeze compared to the iron..anyone else have issues with iron tablets?

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Marcia1530,

The most important thing to take with Iron is Vitamin C. I had tried every type of iron, all of them made me sick. Then my doc prescribed an Iron tablet which also contained vitamin C. It has been wonderful, no side effects and it raised my iron from 10 to 13.7. After that you can just take it once per week/month.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #13
(female)

marcia1530 HB User

Hi.Wow thats really interesting..there is one with vitamin c here ferrograd c but my doctor said that because it has vitamin c it absorbs more iron and may have more side effects.

i am going to try the floravital and see how i go..

fingers crossed....

Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
(female)

Alice86 HB User

Well,there are highly few side effects of vitamin-d and most of them are very easily remedied when you know a few tricks.
-You should consult your physician before taking any supplement.
-These vitamin d side effects can be easily overcome by taking Magnesium and Vitamin D together.
-It is highly recommended that with any vitamin D regimen,you also take high-quality multivitamin.

Closed Thread