It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

misty073 HB User
Low vitamin B12

I went to the walk in clinic last week because I am having a weird burning/tingling feeling in my toes. Started out like a paper cut feeling under one toe then went to the three middle toes...now it's on both feet.

Anyways dr did a b12 test, I got the results today from my own drs office and my level was 162, my dr says its low but in the normal range (although lady on the phone didn't know what the normal was)

My dr says if I am concerned I can take vitamins. I am concerned because I have very low energy, fatigue, depression, etc and have for years. I went to see him about 3 years ago because of my energy levels and lack of motivation and he put me on antidepressants. Now I am just happy and tired.

I'm going in to see him next week, but I'm not sure what I should say to him? I really hate my dr, and feel he is very basic care and doesn't go the extra to really find out what's going on. I have had to push on lots of things but I'm starting to hate fighting him on everything. Unfortunately getting another dr is near impossible, none take new patients here and once you have one they don't let you switch

Will over the counter vitamins be sufficient? I have taken them before with no noticeable difference?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
(female)

AimeeR2382 HB User
Hi, I was wondering if you ever for your B12 deficiency sorted out and are feeling better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Low vitamin B12

They may be, and I think you should definitely be on B12. The sublingual works best as some people don't absorb well the oral form. If you take 1000-2000 mcg/day and get your b12 levels measured again in about 2 months, you should see a significant rise in level, ideally up to 500 or more. That should stop the burning in your toes. I would also get a folate level done, as a folate deficiency can cause the same foot symptoms, and can be supplemented if low. B12 can be taken as injections, usually 1-2/month if the sublingual tablets aren't working sufficiently. You will notice improvement gradually in your feet, energy and depression. B12 and folate deficiency can cause anemia, so a CBC would be a good idea too.

Closed Thread