It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
(female)

Ggred HB User
FM flare ftom VitD anyone else?

Does anyone else have problems taking Vit D? I have tried over and over but after a week or so
I go into a major FM flare. I even went through a time when I could not be in the sunshine for more than 5 minutes. It seem to cause me great weakness & fatigue. Looking forward to any answers or comments. Thank u

Last edited by Ggred; 06-11-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kerry735 HB User
Re: FM flare ftom VitD anyone else?

I don't think that vitamin D would cause the problems you mention. however, it is my belief that while there is junk food, there is also junk vitamins out there and by this I mean that the manufacturer bulks out the vitamin with other products and it may be these you are reacting to. If you are reacting to the sunshine like that, then you may be as well to contact a nutritionist or if you are fortunate an informed doctor (not all are when it comes to vitamin therapy). Also you don't mention the strength/dosage of what you are taking. Professional resources mention 3-5mcg is the supplementary range and 1,250mcg is potentially toxic. Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
(male)

d3b5b9b12 HB User

Ggred.
It has been known that people with MCS can have some initial reactions to taking vitamin D3 supplements. However I don't know of anyone with just FM to have such a reaction. If you have ME/CFS then you may have some MCS. The reaction is inexplicable, ie no one has researched this. Usually vitamin D in capsule form is prepared in a carrier oil such as canola, the other form is where the vitamin D is absorbed onto rice milk powder. It may be the carrier that you are reacting to. I have found some companies oil based carriers are "off" and we have had a couple of people nauseous on them. Eventually we put it down to heat exposure of the product.

I have never heard of anyone saying that vitamin D causes them added fatigue or weakness. I doubt the exposure to sun will cause the problem so these reactions ie sun and vitamin D supplement are probably not related.

However some people with ME/CFS when in full sun can experience changes in blood pressure and some added tachycardia with consequent vertigo and weakness but this should be short lasting (certainly not many hours).

The necessary dose of D3 varies from person to person. In diseases such as ME/CFS and FM the blood levels are generally lower than normal anyway so a higher dose is normally required. A safe and effective dose is 5000IU (125micrograms), however many people are on 10,000IU daily.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggred View Post
Does anyone else have problems taking Vit D? I have tried over and over but after a week or so
I go into a major FM flare. I even went through a time when I could not be in the sunshine for more than 5 minutes. It seem to cause me great weakness & fatigue. Looking forward to any answers or comments. Thank u
I think it does that to me as well. I cannot take it everyday. It makes me tired and lightheaded. I don't seem to find many board posts on people having side effects from it though. So maybe we are a minority.

Closed Thread