It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
(male)

leoc HB User
Vitamin C and sports performance

I stay mostly off vitamin suplements, nonetheless around 1 year and a half ago I started taking around 1000mg/day of vitamin C based on one friend who introduced me to Linus Pauling's theories about its effects. The matter is, I am quite onto playing football (soccer) lately, as I have in some earlier periods of my life, and I can't help but notice a very steep decline in my physical performance compared to the last few years. I am 30 yo and I'm aware that it's normal for the body to start to decline around my age, but the problem is that I have always been extremely energetic and fast whilst now I feel depleted every time I am playing sports (mostly soccer), right from the get go.

I feel like I am now where I thought I would be at the age of 40. At first I thought it was due to a long still time during which i played no sports (around 6 months), but after almost 1 year of me getting back to playing I am totally sure that It's not so. Moreover I am sure the situation was very different only 3 years ago, the last time I was playing sports with this intensity. The rest of my body functions OK under everyday circumstances.

My diet has not changed greatly either, as I have been trying to keep my macronutrients balanced since at least 6 years or more. My stress levels are as low as they have ever been for some months now, I have been practicing meditation for about 1 year and it has helped my mind a lot.

So, yesterday it suddenly occurred to me that vit C could be the cause and after a google search I found this article ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22777327 ) about the positive link between vit C doses and a sharp drop in sports performance. I have to admit it blew my mind instantly, I am off the vitamin C since that instant. I am hoping to report back if, as I think, things will be back to normal soon.

I was also wondering if someone has had similar problems related to high vit C intake, I would very much like to compare my own experience with that of others.

Thanks for your input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply