It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
(male)

bob222 HB User
Magnesium

I hope someone can answer a question I have about magnesium. Most of the articles I've read on the Interent have said the required daily amount to take for an adult (I am 75 year old man) is 420 mg. But none of the articles say what type of magnesium. I started taking it for bone and heart health, but think I might have purchased the wrong one.
I bought the "Finest Nutrition" from Walgreens and it says "Magnesium 250 mg" (as magnesium oxide). I take one twice a day for anxiety and heart health.
Is that the correct or incorrect one?
I don't think magnesium oxide is for me as it appears to be a laxative! If another type of magnesium is better, please let me know. Thank you.

I notice the following mentioned, but don't know if they have anything to do with my question:
Mineral salt forms of magnesium supplements include:
Magnesium Bicarbonate; Magnesium Carbonate; Magnesium Chloride; Magnesium Hydroxide; Magnesium Oxide; Magnesium Phosphate; Magnesium Sulfate (or Magnesium Sulphate) and

1. Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate 2. Magnesium Oxidebioavailability (only 4%). 3. Magnesium Citrate
4. Magnesium Orotate 5. Magnesium Chloride
6. Magnesium Lactate

I've read the following two articles on the web, but they seem to contradict one another. One says best to take; the other says not so.
Can anyone help me decide which magnesium supplement to take? Please?
Magnesium glycinate is a chelated form of magnesium that tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and bioavailability and is typically considered ideal for those who are trying to correct a deficiency
and
Magnesium Glycinate, Malate & Taurates
Chelated forms of magnesium holding moderate to low concentrations and higher levels of bioavailability. All three types of magnesium have a variety of uses, but none are as beneficial as the previous magnesium supplements listed above (posted at the top of this post).

I think one of the following would/might be right for me. I am completely confused at this point as to which one to take, what brand name and what strength.

Magnesium Chloride or Magnesium Lactate or Magnesium glycinate

Can anyone help me please?

Last edited by bob222; 07-22-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Magnesium

I think magnesium oxide is fine and would suggest dropping the dose a little. Any magnesium will act as a laxative, and is dose dependant. So you could take the 250 once a day until you use them up, or get 400mg capsules, only slightly less in dose than the 500mg you are taking now. One other idea is to take calcium with it, as calcium tends to constipate, so will offset the laxative effect, and is good for your bones. Magnesium and calcium come combined by some manufacturers if that is most convenient.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
(male)

bob222 HB User

But would this magnesium oxide (250 mg) be beneficial for heart health and anxiety also, as would the 'Magnesium Chloride' or 'Magnesium Lactate' or 'Magnesium glycinate?'

Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

kimm861 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob222 View Post
But would this magnesium oxide (250 mg) be beneficial for heart health and anxiety also, as would the 'Magnesium Chloride' or 'Magnesium Lactate' or 'Magnesium glycinate?'
Magnesium is wonderful. It is the body's natural muscle relaxer - and laxative.. Milk of Magnesia is made from magnesium, only they add all kinds of sugars and stuff that your body doesn't need...

Anyway... The type you have is made, partially, of a fast release magnesium. In other words, part of the magnesium is absorbed right away, while the remainder is absorbed slowly. If you are having potty problems then perhaps a slow release would be best for you.

I also take magnesium. I take 250mg (same as what you have) with dinner, and then I take 1000mg, (slow release) at bedtime. It helps me sleep, and since I have chronic pain, it works wonders for me. And I also have heart palpitations, as well. By the way, you will know when you are taking too much magnesium because you will have diarrhea.

As for taking calcium, ask your doctor because it could interact with meds, or your heart... Also, if you are Vitamin D deficient, then taking magnesium with your Vitamin D will help each supplement absorb into your system better.

Best thing to do is go to the pharmacy, and ask the pharmacist for the magnesium that is more of a slow release, and see if that helps. One more thing - magnesium is similar to vitamin C in that it does compound, so any excess magnesium you take in will be flushed out of your system.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
(male)

bob222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimm861 View Post
Magnesium is wonderful. It is the body's natural muscle relaxer - and laxative.. Milk of Magnesia is made from magnesium, only they add all kinds of sugars and stuff that your body doesn't need...

Anyway... The type you have is made, partially, of a fast release magnesium. In other words, part of the magnesium is absorbed right away, while the remainder is absorbed slowly. If you are having potty problems then perhaps a slow release would be best for you.

I also take magnesium. I take 250mg (same as what you have) with dinner, and then I take 1000mg, (slow release) at bedtime. It helps me sleep, and since I have chronic pain, it works wonders for me. And I also have heart palpitations, as well. By the way, you will know when you are taking too much magnesium because you will have diarrhea.

As for taking calcium, ask your doctor because it could interact with meds, or your heart... Also, if you are Vitamin D deficient, then taking magnesium with your Vitamin D will help each supplement absorb into your system better.

Best thing to do is go to the pharmacy, and ask the pharmacist for the magnesium that is more of a slow release, and see if that helps. One more thing - magnesium is similar to vitamin C in that it does compound, so any excess magnesium you take in will be flushed out of your system.

Hope this helps!
Thank you.

You said you take 1,000 mg. Isn't that too much? I heard that recommended dose for adult men is about 420 and women a bit less.
I bought the magnesium glycinate 400.

Read this on one of the sites: "Magnesium glycinate is a chelated form of magnesium that tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and bioavailability and is typically considered ideal for those who are trying to correct a deficiency."

Hope I did right!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
(female)

kimm861 HB User

Quote:
Thank you.

You said you take 1,000 mg. Isn't that too much? I heard that recommended dose for adult men is about 420 and women a bit less.
I bought the magnesium glycinate 400.

Read this on one of the sites: "Magnesium glycinate is a chelated form of magnesium that tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and bioavailability and is typically considered ideal for those who are trying to correct a deficiency."

Hope I did right!!!
No, its not too much. And my doc, as well as my naturalist, know what I'm taking. For me, it works great.

And what is recommended is often not the same for a person who is lacking, or deficient. I don't know that I am lacking, but I know that this is a good dosage for me. And besides, everyone is different. Best to ask your doc.

Last edited by kimm861; 07-23-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
(female)

RainbowBridge HB UserRainbowBridge HB User

Hello
I am currently reading The Miracle of Magnesium and so far, it has changed my life. I suffered from muscle spasm and irregular heartbeats. I have increased my intake of foods with magnesium and soak in Epsom salts (which has magnesium in it)
I haven't started taking magnesium yet-I am reading up on it before I take it. I will say this, so far, I haven't had any irregular heartbeats at all...knock on wood. I have more energy. I feel better in general.
When I do start taking supplements for it-I will go to the pharmacy and ask for the slow release kind..thanks.
I hope more people become aware of this. It has changed my life

Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
(female)

RainbowBridge HB UserRainbowBridge HB User
Smile Re: Magnesium

Hello
I am currently reading The Miracle of Magnesium and so far, it has changed my life. I suffered from muscle spasm and irregular heartbeats. I have increased my intake of foods with magnesium and soak in Epsom salts (which has magnesium in it)
I haven't started taking magnesium yet-I am reading up on it before I take it. I will say this, so far, I haven't had any irregular heartbeats at all...knock on wood. I have more energy. I feel better in general.
When I do start taking supplements for it-I will go to the pharmacy and ask for the slow release kind..thanks.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
(female)

kimm861 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowBridge View Post
Hello
YAE! ...I have been trying to get my best friend to start it, and my mom as well. No one listens. lol.

An epsom salt is one of the best ways to absorb magnesium because your skin is your largest organ. I use about three cups and I can immediately tell a difference.

Epsom Salt is also good for for certain palm trees, especially sago palms. When the fronds begin to turn yellow, that means they need magnesium. Put some epsom Salt on the plant and in a few weeks, the color will return to a beautiful green

Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I take 400mg Mg oxide in AM and before bed. It has helped me sleep, improves my restless leg syndrome, and no problems with diarrhea. I didn't know there is a slow release formula, which would be great for people with RLS all through night. Good to know for next trip to buy Mg. I have heard capsules are better than tablets-absorbed more easily? The folks at the health food stores are often quite helpful in these matters and I always talk to them to get ideas too.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
(male)

bob222 HB User

I am taking 400mg Magnesium glycinate (2 x 200 mg tablets). One in the late afternoon and one a few hours before bedtime.

Does Magnesium glycinate have to be taken with meals or can it be taken without meals? Some saiy to take on an empty stomach and others said best to take with food for better absorption ("Actually all food supplements are best absorbed WITH food rather than without.")
Does anyone know.

Also, some say to take with other vitamins, such as "Take your magnesium supplement at the same time as you take your other vitamins to ensure maximum absorption. Taking Vitamin C with your magnesium may help your body absorb the supplement more efficiently. "

Last edited by bob222; 07-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
(female)

kimm861 HB User

Quote:
I am taking 400mg Magnesium glycinate (2 x 200 mg tablets). One in the late afternoon and one a few hours before bedtime.

Does Magnesium glycinate have to be taken with meals or can it be taken without meals? Some saiy to take on an empty stomach and others said best to take with food for better absorption ("Actually all food supplements are best absorbed WITH food rather than without.")
Does anyone know.

Also, some say to take with other vitamins, such as "Take your magnesium supplement at the same time as you take your other vitamins to ensure maximum absorption. Taking Vitamin C with your magnesium may help your body absorb the supplement more efficiently. "
Hey Bob,

I know vitamin d helps in the absorption of magnesium... As far as taking with food, I always take my supplements with food, mostly because I have an overly sensitive stomach. I also just think that taking vitamins, while absorbing natural foods and vitamins, seems to make the best sense, to me.

Also, I don't know if you eat legumes, but there is now some evidence that eating legumes (or too much) may actually block the body from absorbing vital nutrients. Therefore, its never a good idea to take vitamins with legumes...

I know this can be a pain, and there is so much "evidence" that states one thing or another... I hope I was helpful

- Kim

The Following User Says Thank You to kimm861 For This Useful Post:
bob222 (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
(male)

bob222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I take 400mg Mg oxide in AM and before bed. It has helped me sleep, improves my restless leg syndrome, and no problems with diarrhea. I didn't know there is a slow release formula, which would be great for people with RLS all through night. Good to know for next trip to buy Mg. I have heard capsules are better than tablets-absorbed more easily? The folks at the health food stores are often quite helpful in these matters and I always talk to them to get ideas too.
I am a bit confused.
You say you take 400mg before going to bed.
Shouldn't the magnesium be taken with a meal/food?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
(male)

bob222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimm861 View Post
Hey Bob,

I know vitamin d helps in the absorption of magnesium... As far as taking with food, I always take my supplements with food, mostly because I have an overly sensitive stomach. I also just think that taking vitamins, while absorbing natural foods and vitamins, seems to make the best sense, to me.

Also, I don't know if you eat legumes, but there is now some evidence that eating legumes (or too much) may actually block the body from absorbing vital nutrients. Therefore, its never a good idea to take vitamins with legumes...

I know this can be a pain, and there is so much "evidence" that states one thing or another... I hope I was helpful

- Kim
Thank you.You said you take your MG with food.
You also said you take 1,000mg MG at bedtime, which I presume would be without food?
I am a bit confused, or am I reading something incorectly?

BTW: What is name of a slow realease MG?

Last edited by bob222; 07-26-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have a bedtime snack when I take my nighttime meds and supplements.

Closed Thread