It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
Calcium absorption following parathyroid surgery

Greetings,

I had 4 gland hyperplasia and had 3 and one half of my parathyriod glands removed. So my endo called today and said that my active vitamin D along with all the other "D"'s are all normal. My PTH is still low at 14, but at least it is somewhere. So she wants me to continue with taking HCTZ to encourage calcium retention, and to take mega calcium every day since my calcium is still low. I do remain puzzled, though. Why can't I get my calcium up despite having good D levels and taking calcium? Why am I apparently not absorbing the calcium when all systems should be making retention a breeze? I take calcium citrate and calcium carbonate.

What about the "jettisoning" process of taking supplemments? I mean, doesn't your body only absorb so much and the rest is given the boot out of the system? Doesn't your body only absorb so much at any given time? Am I supposed to take 400 mg. every 2 hours 24/7? If I take 1,000 mg at a time, isn't alot of it just gotten rid of? This is discouraging. I still get the tingling and my hand still cramps when I take my blood pressure. :-( And, I still feel like I have been beaten with an idiot stick.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Calcium absorption following parathyroid surgery

It takes awhile after parathyroid surgery for PTH and calcium levels to stabilize. PTH is the hormone that controls calcium absorption from GI tract, and since it is low right now, calcium absorption is low. Your remaining 1/2 gland will "step up to the plate" and take over for the ones removed but will take a few weeks to get there. In the meantime, bombarding your GI tract with Calcium, Vit D and preventing your kidneys from releasing the calcium is the only way to go. It will get better, and the supplements will get reduced in time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Thanks Lady,

Yeah, I know it takes a while, but I am 6 weeks post-op now, and I'm getting worried that the remaining one hasn't gotten the message yet. :-)

Regards, Brenden.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You might ask your surgeon what he/she expects the recovery time to be, but my guess is another 6 weeks will do it, and in the meantime, enjoy lots of milkshakes before weather turn cold!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Still the same. My last labs were identical to the previous. I really don't want to continue taking so much calcium every day. My serum calcium is 8.7 and my ionized is 4.10 (reference 4.61--5.17). I take 3,000 mg. of calcium and the same of vitamin D. My PTH is still 13 or 14. I probably should have my urine checked for calcium. My D levels are all fine. This is getting frustrating.

Regards, Brenden.

Closed Thread