It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
(female)

sebring HB User
Lap Band Surgery Question

I have been overweight now for about 7 years. I've tried every diet imaginable, even paid to do LA Weight loss. I've been looking into getting an adjustable lap band. The question I have is will they perform this surgery on someone who is 5'2 194 pounds. Most people I read on need to lose over 100 pounds.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:17 AM   #2
(male)

bogmallo HB User
Re: Lap Band Surgery Question

You dont need surgery but self control. Try baby steps in losing weight. A small cut as little as 200 calories a day will see you losing 1 pound a week. Add 30 mts of walking and you are through.You dont need to cut yourself up. Lap bands and surgery are for people whose obesity is killing them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmallo
You dont need surgery but self control. Try baby steps in losing weight. A small cut as little as 200 calories a day will see you losing 1 pound a week. Add 30 mts of walking and you are through.You dont need to cut yourself up. Lap bands and surgery are for people whose obesity is killing them

I agree - I am 5'3" at about 2 years ago (approximately, anyway) I weighed close to 250ish pounds. Luckily I have never had ANY health problems because of my weight. My biggest problem was depression and extreme fatigue. I dont believe in dieting. I have never done the 'meal skipping' or starvation thing. I made a committment to myself to make a lifestyle change. In the past I had made half-hearted attempts at weight loss over the years with OTC pills. Deep down, I always knew there was never a magic pill to lose weight. It never lasted longer than a couple of weeks because I always GAINED weight using them. I think it was just a sign that I shouldn't take them. So I cut certain things out of my diet and started exercising - slowly. Baby steps. I didnt do it because I wanted to fit into a size 4, or look a certain way. I don't want to end up with a bunch of health problems. I have continued to watch what I eat (I do have a couple of weaknesses, though), and drink lots of water. I hit a plateau at 178 about a month ago. I did try to switch up my routine, but it didn't help. I talked to my doc and she gave me Phentermine. I tried it for a couple of days, but decided that I can not rely on medication to lose weight. Please don't get surgery. You are better off trying to lose the weight on your own or with the help of a nutritionist (which is much cheaper than surgery anyway). It will teach you much discipline.

The internet is the best place to start. Education is the key. (gee I sound like my mom, yuck)
Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!

Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 PM   #4

jess301 HB User

sebring--I can sympathize. I am 5 ft even, 175 lbs, have done all the diets and nothing. I have even been seeing a personal trainer 5 days a week for months, been to a nutritionist and stuck to a diet around 1200-1300 calories a day--not one pound.
I used to think it was laziness, or lack of truly trying, but not any longer--I really believe some people can't lose with willpower or "self control."
(There can be alot of health factors as well, ie thyroid or past medications (antidepressants KILL your metabolism). If you want to learn more, spotlighthealth.com is a great message board, with very supportive people. I too am considering surgery, and I too don't qualify under the 100 mark--but there are options for people like us (ie mexico--the docs there practice on the philosophy that why wait until you have all the diseases associated with obestity--more preventative in nature--and apparently quite a few docs in mexico have fabulous credentials--they trained the us docs). Good luck to you, I will be checking back here so if you have anymore questions feel free, I feel your pain
jessica

Last edited by jessicameg; 06-29-2004 at 11:58 PM.

Closed Thread