It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
(female)

giddyup715 HB User
Difference between GB and lap band?

What's the difference between Gastric Bypass surgery and lap-band surgery and the hoops to jump thru? A friend of mine is considering GP and I saw the new commercials for lap-band surgery. What's the difference and which is better?

Old 08-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
(female)

Mojo255 HB User
Re: Difference between GB and lap band?

Just from what I have read, one is an actual bypass of the stomach and the other is where they 'band" a portion of the stomach to make it smaller. The banding is less intrusive from what I know, but I don't know much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

losemyself HB User

I actually did some research on it a few years ago. Gastric was too much for me because I didn't want anything cut and moved around. lol Plus I had a c-section that went horribly wrong 6 yrs ago so now I have major fears about anyone cutting me open again.

The ban is less painful and involves a small cut (if I remember this correctly). Then a ban gets placed around the upper portion of your stomach and that's it. Like I said its been a few years. The doctor I saw went over everything with me. We talked about both surgeries along with the plus/minus's of both. The ban procedure was less trumatic and you would be up and around sooner then gastric.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
(male)

Push_pop HB User

I have a loved one who is strongly considering the lap-band and I am extremely worried. It seems like a "stretch" (pardon the pun)...to think that this would work. A rubber band may hold a pair of glasses together but highly doubtful to make a person quit WANTING, DESIRING, OBSESSING over food. We're over weight because we over eat, we don't exercise, and we won't make ourselves do the right thing.

The band will slip if you over eat...so for the procedure to be successful, you have to have the will power and the discipline to eat only small portions. DUH!! If we had that, we wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place.

I'm hearing, "You fill up faster, so you won't eat as much" The problem is not that we can't get full. The problem is we continue to eat once we're stuffed. It's called GLUTTONY. I don't think a lap band will help overcome that.

Maybe I'm wrong...I just think that there is no quick fix. To shed the weight, we must resolve ourselves to eat better and to eat smart, to exercise, and stay the course...the same discipline and will power that is required for a successful lap-band.

Your thoughts?

Old 11-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

byntstr8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup715
What's the difference between Gastric Bypass surgery and lap-band surgery and the hoops to jump thru?
I had the bypass almost 22 months ago. With the bypass, it is just that, your large intestine is relocated to a smaller "pouch" that is created at the top of your stomach. Everything is then stapled closed. They do not remove the stomach as it will still produce stomach acids to help with digestion. The hoops you jump thru are basically acknowledging that it is a life style change. There is no "cheating" per say. There are certain foods that I can not eat, yet those same foods do not affect others the same way. There are episodes of "dumping syndrome" and if you attempt to "cheat" and over eat, believe me when I tell you, you will pay closer attention to the amount of food you take in. There are so many different aspects of the gastric bypass that I can not even begin to explain everything. All I can say is before you or anyone makes that decision, see a therapist, and do your homework completely. I know of 3 people that did the banding. All 3 of them ended up going for the bypass after the banding failed them. The bypass is not a miracle fix, it still takes a lot of control and will power, the pouch can still be stretched and weight can be regained. A woman in my town where I live had the surgery 2 months before I did and she is back weighing more now than what she did when she had the surgery. There is also the after affects of either procedure and people will treat you differently. Then there is the whole skin irritation thing, the reduction surgery. The bottom line is you have to do what you feel is right for you. Best of luck!

Old 11-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

I had the gastric bypass (RNY) almost 2 years ago. The gastric bypass is what used to be referred to as stomach stapling. this procedure removes the intestines from teh bottom of the stomach and reattaches them to the top of the stomach which is now called a "pouch" because it is a much smaller portion of the stomach which is stapled so that not as much food can be eaten. The new stomach or pouch is about the size of an egg after surgery but does stretch to about the size of a baseball etc. This surgery not only lets you eat less but also does not allow for your body to digest the food fully so less calories are absorbed.
The lap band is also a restrictive surgery that keeps your from eating as much but instead of stapeling your stomach and reattaching the intestines it is simply a band that is put around the upper portion of the stomach. The same full feeling is acheived by doing this but the food is absorbed normally and does pass through the bottom protion of the stomach eventually and then into the intestines normally.
WLS with the lap band takes longer than with teh RNY but it also continues on longer than with the RNY. People with higher BMI's are usually better candidates for the RNY but the RNY is much more invasive than the lap band. both are a very personal decision and can be good options for anyone that is suffering from morbid obesity that does not have health problems that woudl prohibit surgery.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
(female)

Lyndy27 HB User

I have a friend that had the lap band, and it came off. Later, she had the GB, and she is really glad that she did. I have another friend that is having the GB. She is very excited.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
(male)

Push_pop HB User

KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT!! Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to reply.

You are definitely on the right track. Unfortunately there will always be those "nay sayers" and plenty of people trying to drag you down or discourage you. Show them! Make them eat their own words. Do this by continuing to diet and exercise. BE CONSISTENT. Instead of looking for a certain number on the scale that is your ideal weight, simply THINK and LIVE...HEALTHY! If you do that, the weight loss will fall into place. I'm very proud of you for walking and for taking this into your own hands. Continue to see all unhealthy things as your ENEMY. You're making great things happen for yourself. What a success story. Don't waiver for one moment...stay with it.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-22-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
(female)

ladyalaska HB User

I had g/b 5 1/2 years ago, and the difference between g/b and the lap band is that the lap band can be adjusted after surgery, according to the patient. I have not had any challenges with my surgery and am considered one of the success stories of my physician. I have done magazine interviews and was in one of my surgeon's (Dr. Mal Fobi) calendars, the only time I will ever be a Miss June! I had a variation of the g/b called the Fobi Pouch, named for the Dr. who created it, Mal Fobi. I have a salastic ring around the base of my pouch (stomach) that slows the "emptying" process of the food leaving the stomach. It creates a feeling of being full for a longer period of time. After I had surgery, my little sister had the same surgery by a member of the same office, then a girlfriend of mine had a different variation and now my brother-in-law is doing his pre-op for his surgery. I highly recommend it, but I also recommend doing proper research into the procedure and the doctor performing it. Roseanne Barr is a pt of my surgeon and she is doing ok, so I felt pretty good about seeing him.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #10

jess301 HB User

not sure if this thread is so old that noone is reading, but i will go ahead an post my thoughts.
so far there has been a ton of misinformation posted about the lap band. i don't have the time to disect each post and point out errors, just please do your own research.
i was banded one year ago and have had zero problems. the band is the least invasive of bariatric surgeries--less risk and less complications. it is done laproscopically, takes less than an hour, and can be done outpatient. The band is only restrictive in nature, unlike the bypass which is restrictive and malabsorptive (sp?). With the band the weight loss is slow but steady and the best part--adjustable to each individual. The band makes you feel full on less food, and also puts pressure on the vagus nerve--this nerve sends signals to the brain telling it you are full/satisfied---this is where the band does double duty--finally i am not obsessing over food, like i would on regular diets. I eat a small amount of food and feel full for hours--food is finally a non-issue. There are many reasons why one chooses one surgery over the other---you will have to do alot of research to find what is best for you.
By all means, if you can diet and exercise to lose the weight (which btw you do after surgery as well....well, at least the exercise part, i don't diet), go for it. But if you are like most obese people--who have gone through diet after diet, only to gain again this might be a solution for you.
Good luck and again, research like crazy! There are a ton of online groups and sites dedicated to the topic.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
(male)

WCPI HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push_pop
The band will slip if you over eat...so for the procedure to be successful, you have to have the will power and the discipline to eat only small portions. DUH!! If we had that, we wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place.

I'm hearing, "You fill up faster, so you won't eat as much" The problem is not that we can't get full. The problem is we continue to eat once we're stuffed. It's called GLUTTONY. I don't think a lap band will help overcome that.

Maybe I'm wrong...I just think that there is no quick fix. To shed the weight, we must resolve ourselves to eat better and to eat smart, to exercise, and stay the course...the same discipline and will power that is required for a successful lap-band.
Brace yourself Push pop - you're about to get a stern lecture! Not only do you know nothing about obesity and its underlying cause and treatment but you're not very sympathetic! You said the problem is "GLUTTONY"? That comment is the most absurd thing I've ever seen on a forum! Your arrogance astounds me!

Not everyone who is obese is so because of overeating and a lack of self-control. The causes are numerous but some of the most commonly recognized include GENETICS, METABOLICS, PSYCHOLOGICAL, SOCIOCULTURAL, SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE, NEUROENDOCRINES, MEDICAMENTAL, HIGH CALORIC NUTRITION, MULTIPLE FACTORS. It's not simply a matter of willpower not to eat that extra helping. If that was all there was too it there would be a lot fewer people with weight problems. And talk about willpower and resolve? Do you have any idea what you have to go through AFTER the surgery? You must be more mindful of your diet and health than anyone on a diet ever has to be!

Your statements show an obvious prejudice and disdain for overweight people. The last thing someone needs is you telling them they can simply push away from the table and it will cure all their problems. I will be the first to admit this is a strong statement by me in response to your post but you deserve it! Words like yours leave people feeling they are weak and terrible for their weight problems. That's just what they need - another person telling them they don't have the strength or will power to stop. It's not just a matter of self-control - it's a chronic disease.

To find out about the lap band and the gastric bypass options all one needs to do is go to *********** and enter the name of each procedure. You'll get a LOT of valid information on both procedures. I'm in the first stages of having the Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass because of a back injury. I was overweight and didn't overeat but a sedentary career (desk job) and little time for exercise caused my weight gain. Then an accident fractured my L5 vertebrae and now I need to loose the weight so I can get spinal surgery. The injury prevents any type of exercise to loose the weight. I've researched a lot on the options I have and my choices are fairly simple. If I don't lose the weight and get spinal surgery I will be permanently disabled for life. Iíve got too many things I want to do and a new family to care for to sit around on disability!

In closing Pushpop, Iíd suggest you research your topics of discussion a little more before responding about a subject that is so important for so many people. Words like yours can cause far more damage than good for people desperately seeking information and help.

WCPI

Last edited by WCPI; 01-02-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
(male)

newtim HB User

Go to New England Medical Centers website in boston and Have all your gastric-bypass & Lap-band Questions answered.....

Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
(female)

giddyup715 HB User

I posted on this thread to bring you up-to-date..for some reason it didn't show up.

Closed Thread