It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 06:14 AM   #1

pearllady HB User
Question Lap Band Question

I'm considering the lap band procedure. I'm 5'0" and weight 195 lbs. That puts me in the 35BMI area but I've been having problems with my gaul blader, Gerd and a few other things from my weight.

My question is what is it like after. I'm afraid of the food aspect of it. Do you have to eat food that's been in the food processor for ever or is it just for a short time. I've looked at a couple of threads here and people were eating broth and pudding, but didn't say what the next steps were. I had read an article that scared me into not doing it but I keep thinking maybe its not like that for everyone.

Please help by giving me some info and personal experiences. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

k@t HB User
Re: Lap Band Question

hey pearl,

I haven't been banded yet but I'm in the process of trying to. From all the research I read, most people in the first 1 to 2 weeks (it varies from person to person) you should be on clear liquids like broth, tea, water, etc. and when u feel a bit better u can move on to creamy soups and yougert and things like that.

Then after 2 weeks you should be able to move on to mushy things and even some solids. I think each person has a diffrent time so it will just depend on how you feel. Then after that the diet is pretty much an order game. You eat hard proteins first ( i think that means chicken, fish, beans etc) and if ur still hungry, some vegtables, and if your still hungry, then some carbs, but carbs are always last, and the way I understand it some people are never able to eat rice or bread again. But again, that depends on the individual person.

I think there is a rule about never drinking with you meal and even waiting an hour after you eat to drink something. I think all carbonated and caffinee drinks are out as well. But again I think some people get a bit here and there. It all depends on what they can handle. And I think there is a no snacking rule, just 3 meals a day.

From what I have seen most people are very happy with their decision to get banded. If you send me a message I can tell you about some other places to get support for banding. And if you have any other questions feel free to e mail me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

lulu721 HB User

Pearl,
Ive been banded for 2 months now. I just had a half slice of pizza for dinner. SO no it doesnt restrict you to liquids , that would so defeat the purpose for you to live a normal life and combine it with a new food lifestyle. Its all about what we cannot control that is why we get lap band cause we cannot on our own control our portions. The Lap just secures that you will stop when your full. And the feeling of fullness is not like the one we feel pre lap. It is a pressure under our breasts that usually signals us that we are full and guess what... we feel satisfied. I cannot comment on long term affects of lap. But I can say I weighed 272 lbs. Im downt now to 244. In 2 months. And for me the hardest thing was and still is the mental part of my lifestyle change. Its 90% mental and 10% physical. But id do it again in a heartbeat. My bandy has prolonged my life.
Lulu

Old 03-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
(female)

angela2775 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearllady
I'm considering the lap band procedure. I'm 5'0" and weight 195 lbs. That puts me in the 35BMI area but I've been having problems with my gaul blader, Gerd and a few other things from my weight.

My question is what is it like after. I'm afraid of the food aspect of it. Do you have to eat food that's been in the food processor for ever or is it just for a short time. I've looked at a couple of threads here and people were eating broth and pudding, but didn't say what the next steps were. I had read an article that scared me into not doing it but I keep thinking maybe its not like that for everyone.

Please help by giving me some info and personal experiences. Thank you.

Last edited by angela2775; 03-06-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #5

kelly_ HB User

As much as i know lap band is quite a safe procedue with good results.
complication rate is quite low.
An adjustable band is used to partition the stomach into an upper 15 ml pouch.
Most patients are discharged on the 3rd day
ge ocities.com/surgmcq/index7.html

Last edited by kelly_; 03-13-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Closed Thread