It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Anyone had the lap band surgery?

I am waiting on insurance acceptance and then will likely have it in about 3 months or so from now. My doctor says I am a perfect case for it. Anyhow I just wondered if there is anyone here who has had it and how it was for them.

Thanks, Holly

Old 03-17-2006, 04:56 AM   #2

JerseyGirl36 HB User
Re: Anyone had the lap band surgery?

I haven't, but I did a ton of research on it and decided against it. The rules, like no drinking with your meal, and problems, like being too tight or not tight enough, were just not right for me. Plus, making certain foods impossible bothered me as the only bad foods are junk foods.

I'll tell you this, consider it carefully. Yes, low risk, decent success potential, but there's one thing important to consider, do you want to lose weight by eating little, or eat yourself thin?

That was how I made my decision. I'd rather be eating 1500-2000 calories of healthy foods, then 1000-1200 calories because of what low cal does to your metabolism. IF you were to have a problem with the band (rare) and had to have it removed, your metabolism would be kapoot and the weight would be back in no time. Instead, you're far better going clean and low glycemic and exercising at a higher caloric food intake, IMO, and you'll look better. Dieting is just not the way to look your best, healthy eating and exercise is. It's why those on the Biggest Loser don't look like they need plastic surgery, but most WLS patients do.

One other thing to consider is if you're a slow loser. I'm that type myself....slow losers have a heck of time losing weight and generally need to fuel their metabolism, not starve it....

Mentally, I couldn't have handled eating 1/2c food at every meal. I need to have a huge bowl of salad or something healthy like that for my head to stay on straight. I couldn't have tolerated thinking food was the enemy.

But that was my perspective.

Choose what's best for you....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I never had it, but have a friend that did and it has worked for her, the best thing she has ever did in her life, she had it 15 months ago and lost over 100lbs. only one minor complcation the ban did slip but she when back to the Dr in and they just tighten it back up..took bout 10 minutes she said.

I think you have to get use to eatting most of your foods mince up or food processer....because the food as to pass through a small opening in the middle of your stmoach slowly I think its kinda like they tie a string around the middle of your stmoach figure shape like a ( hour glass), but I'm sure you will be breiff on it...ect,,,ect,, the do'..s and don't...s
Good Luck with it.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #4

JerseyGirl36 HB User

I think Chevy's confusing the mushie phase which is usually for the first month after surgery and only to allow the stomach to heal from the surgery.

Remember, it will help, but you still have to do all the work--choose wisely, watch portions, exercise a lot

Closed Thread