It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User
Lap Band Surgery - My Wife

Hi,
My wife is going to T.J for lap band surgery next month and I am kind of concern of side effects. If she has high blood pressure would lap band surgery cause complications.
I really dont know much about lap band surgery except what I read on the net. Can someone who has the lap band tell me if you are happy or un-happy and reasons why??
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
Re: Lap Band Surgery - My Wife

I'd highly encourage you to catch one or more of the programs on the Discovery Health Channel on Cable Television. They have a few programs that give an overview of weight loss surgeries.

Of course there are complications, but one of the main purposes of these surgeries is to help people like your wife who might have life threatening complications due to weight. High BP, diabetes, etc.

Your wife had to attend some classes that covers all of these issues, including the 0.5% morbidity among patients. If she has any more to attend, you might want to go with her. The first few weeks after surgery are not going to be easy. Her body will have to heal as she learns a new way to eat. If there is any way you can be home to help her, I know that it would be great for her. Wish her good luck in her journey.

wb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
(female)

lulu721 HB User

Hi

Congratulations on the lap band surgery. Its a exciting new step with a great lifestyle changing tool that is the least traumatic in the WLS world. I am Luz and I have had Lap band since 12/14/2005. I was at 283 and am downto 242 now . As with any surgery there are risks of course. But its riskier to stay over weight and then develop diseases that cannot be changed and have damaged other parts of your body that cannot be repaired back to their normal functions. I have heard wonderful things about the drs in TJ . Im sure she will do fabulous. I did mine on a day surgery I was back in my hotel by 3:00 pm and i had my surgery at 10 am. I had my surgery in Dallas Texas with a great physician, but like I said I have heard amazing things in my lap band support group about the Drs in TJ. Complications , i didnt have any really. Pain the first week probably at the site where the port for the band is placed since that incision is the largest. As soon as I had the surgery I was not hungry and placed on a liquid diet for 2 weeks of nothing but Protein drinks and water and juice and guess what I survived. I ve had my band filled in 2 times and each time increased weight loss. The band makes you feel a diffrent sensation of full more like a pressure but I have adapted well and this far have been very successful. I would recommend to any one considering WLS.
Hope this helps a little !!
and
Congratulations!!!

Last edited by lulu721; 03-24-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

Now my wife has one week before surgery and now she has to drink liquids. But she is having a hard adjusting to the liquids. Any suggestions what she can drink or eat besides meal replacements and salads? I just dont want her to cheat before surgery time..
Thanks in advance

Old 04-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

I hope you do not mean she is going to Tijuana for this surgery.
This needs to be done by a qualified surgeon who is associated with a hospital equipped to handle post op patients.
Best of luck to you!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

I know of a few people who have had MAJOR surgeries in TJ because insurance wouldnt cover it, and/or the cost was much lower than in the states. Personally, I would have done it if my insurance said no to paying for my gastric bypass last month. If you do some research on some of hte doctors, A LOT of them are of mexican descent, got their training in the states and just go back there to practice. Its smart for them really, because there are no "contractual adjustments" required like there are here in the US. (for example, someone getting gastric bypass and the insurance only pays $6000 and the doctor or facility has to write off the other $6-8,000).

As with any surgery, including WLS, you just gotta do research and be careful no matter what.......

Boricua, tell your wifey that I send my well wishes and GOOD LUCK

Jen

Old 04-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

There are also no standards for sterilization or credentialing physicians. It is frightening to see what happens over there...just a word to the wise.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

its not like they lay em on a blanket in the middle of the hood and cut em with a kitchen knife. there are SEVERAL doctors that are tied to the US that ARE regulated just as the US is......

Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
(female)

lulu721 HB User

Your wife will be fine .... Im super excited for her and you are awesome for supporting her! Liquid protein is not so good tasting but its just preparing for the prize. I liked the Atkins vanilla shakes when I had to do liquids before. Also you can go to smartbansters group in the ya hoo groups and get more info about the great surgeons in TJ. There is also a group called mexican bandsters.. excellent groups.. Lots of information!!
once again
Felicidades!!!

Lulu

Closed Thread