HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Weight Loss / Surgical (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss-surgical/)
-   -   Gastro Bypass and lap band surgery HELP!!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss-surgical/386669-gastro-bypass-lap-band-surgery-help.html)

Loka2006 04-27-2006 05:04 PM

Gastro Bypass and lap band surgery HELP!!!

Hi i wanted to know how much does it cost to have one of this surgeries to lose weight. How old do you have to be abd approximatly how do you lose in one months?
---->THANKS<-----
LOKA2006 :confused:

snowmelts 05-05-2006 09:36 AM

Re: Gastro Bypass and lap band surgery HELP!!!

You should discuss it with your DR.
I Never had the surgery. I'm not big enough.
But it does cost a fortune if your ins won't cover it.
Also be aware it is NOT a quick magic bullet.
From what I've heard people loose an average of 10 lbs a month afterward, if and only if they stick on a dr recommended diet afterwards. The surgery suposedly makes you not so hungry. A smaller stomach feels full sooner so you don't want as much.
A year after successful surgery and successfully obeying the diet and excercise rules can result in a body that lost over a hundred pounds or more.
The surgery is a diet "tool" to jump start weight lose for those who have life threatening weight problems.
It can be a REAL life saver for those people.
However the "made smaller" stomach can and will restretch after you heal if you overeat.
That means it's a forever life stye change in the way of eating.
Of course, with any surgery complications can occur.
It is not to be entered into lightly but rather as a lifetime commitment.
You should discuss it with your DR.

Zayazmama 05-15-2006 11:43 PM

I agree with snow....its not a silver bullet. It should be used as a TOOL to aid in your lifestyle change and as nothing more. Yeah, you lose weight pretty rapidly at first, but ti does slow down, and you will have to work to get it off just like any other "diet". Then you gotta work even harder to KEEP it off.
Its a big change. I had it 2 months ago. Im glad I did it but before I did it, I had no idea how truly difficult it would be. I mean, I feel I was educated on it, but emotionally and everything, its hard.
It usually runs right around $12K maybe more, maybe less. You have to weight at least 100lbs over your ideal weight and meet many other requirements as well.

Talk to your family doc and even with a doc that does the surgery in your area. You can also go to bariatric surgery center int'l website and find a support group. Go to one now so you can see how it is for many people and get a better idea of how it is.

Good luck.

kathyjo2006 05-22-2006 08:14 AM

I had the gastric bypass almost 3 years ago in illinois and at that time it costed roughly $14,000. I was in the hospital for 5 days, no major issues or concerns have come out of it. I have lost approx 150 lbs. and am at the stopping point now and I have to be careful as I do not want to gain that weight back. I am able to eat more but I still get sick if I have anything with too much sugar in it. I haven't added sugar back into my system since Dec 21, 2003. Its different to say the least but when my 17 year old son can actually pick me up and hug me, and got on a ride with him at Disney world for the first time ever it was wonderful and worth it all. I feel 100% better in everything I do. I don't get winded walking 20ft like I use to. I need to get more active again which I have not done too much as of yet but I did get a bike for christmas this year and will get out on it as soon as I remember how to ride one.
But you need to make sure that you are doing this for your health and not for the way you are going to look. thats more important in the long run. I am no longer on blood pressure medication. which made me happy. All I am suppose to take now is a vitamin, 1/2 of a b-12 and a couple of tums for the calcium. I still have my days of getting sick from one spoon full too much and for eating something that had sugar in it that I had no idea that did. and I can normally taste it right away so I don't eat another bite of it... but it still makes me sick. oh well.. for Me this has been a godsend and I had a wonderful surgeon......good luck

WCPI 06-06-2006 10:37 AM

Loka:

I just had the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery a month ago and the cost for the surgery itself was approximately $25,000 not including the work up and psychological evaluation required. I didn't have the arthroscopic version which I believe was more but they had to take my gall bladder anyway. I'd estimate that my surgery and the other pre-work (physical exam, blood work, etc.) added another $3000-$5000.

Though many have said it isnít a "magic bullet" in a way it certainly is! Contradicting I know, but the surgery is just a tool to jump start you into a healthy lifestyle and if you follow the guidelines and requirements it is incredible. I've talked with many who had it and it has changed their lives so much. I have lost about 35 pounds since my surgery a month ago and around 65 pounds since I started the program (youíre required to lose a certain amount of weight pre-surgery based on your BMI). Iím not noticing a much of change in the mirror but everyone else seems to. My face is notably thinner, my pants already donít fit anymore, my watch slides way up my wrist and I can wear rings I havenít in years. I feel better each week, my asthma bothers me less, my sleep apnea is improving, and Iím wearing jeans and shirts I havenít been able to in 5-6 years. My belt is on the last hole now and before this all started I was on the first one!

If you would have asked me if this was a good idea the first week after the surgery Iíd have said no, it sucks! I had a very successful surgery but I became very nauseous the evening I was released from the hospital and had to go back two days later and get re-hydrated two days in a row and vitamin shots. I felt much better after that but I got so sick of hearing that 15 minute beeper I could puke (you GBíers know what I mean!). It took a little while but I came through just fine and have now started into solid foods. Itís slow going finding what I can eat now and many foods I enjoyed before now taste completely different but things will improve. I will lose about 75% of my excess body weight if I stick to the program and I know that will make a difference in my life both in health and activity. Iíll also be able to get a back injury repaired and that will go a long way towards having the life I once had.

Of the some 30 people I have talked to who have had this surgery not one of them regrets it. The waiting room of my GB surgeonís office has 5-6 big binders with before and after photos patients have submitted and the difference is astounding! I look forward to adding my photos to that book! If you evaluate this surgery carefully, follow the program and make the lifestyle changes (you are almost forced to after the surgery) this will help you more than you can imagine. I look forward to not worrying about fitting in a booth at a restaurant or the embarrassment asking for a seatbelt extension as I painfully squeeze into an airline seat. Not a lot to ask for people who are thin but a huge thing for people who are overweight. I told my wife I didnít have huge goals after the surgery but would love to buy a pair of pants off the rack at Target or Old Navy!

Best of luck! ;)