It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

elmstlover HB User
Info on Lap Band

Does anyone know anything about it? i posted a reply to someone having it done but it looks like she has not been on in a long time. I looked online and am going to a meeting about it but I would like to hear some first hand knowledge. Mainly about pregnancy.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Info on Lap Band

Hi Elmstlover - I see you haven't had any replies to your post...I was lurking and waiting to see if somebody who had already had the surgery would come by and say something. I too am seriously considering having this done. I have an appointment with the surgeon in the middle of February. My weight and height put me just at a bmi of 35. To do the lapband they like to see a bmi of about 40 or above (at least this surgeon does). But they'll take the lower bmi of 35 if you have co-morbidity factors, which I do. My height is 4'11" and I weigh 175 lbs. I have high cholesterol, lung disease, severe osteoporosis, and I'm confined to a wheelchair which makes it impossible for me to exercise. So I've gained all my weight over the past 5 years since I've been unable to get around. I sat through all the informational seminars and will get more one-on-one question and answers with the doc next month. Have you seen anybody about it yet, or are you just in the "discovery" mode? KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

silvertulie HB User

i would be glad to answer any questions you have--shoot!

in regards to pregnancy, the band does not interfere with your ability to get pregnant (losing weight actually increases fertility), nor does it interfere with the actual pregnancy. Some people will have their bands deflated during pregnancy if they feel they can't get in the necessary calories, but that isn't always necessary. Docs usually require (or request that you wait a year or so after surgery before getting pregnant--or at least be done with the losing weight phase.

in regards to doctor's seminars...do plenty of your own research-those seminars barely scratch the surface. [removed]

any more specific questions just ask!

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-05-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: do not refer to commercial websites.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

elmstlover HB User

Well, I don't want to wait a year to get pregnant, so I guess my best option is to wait until after. I will be getting another c-section, wonder if they can do it then. That way I only have 1 hospital stay.

I have tried researching doctors in my area, but can't find any info. I am going to ask my ob this week. She is very anti-diet pills so I hope she can help.

Have you already had the procedure? Was there much pain? What was your hospital stay? How was your diet? Once you decided to have it done, how long did it take? I have read a few sites and some seem to be conflicting. ANYTHING you can tell me would be great.

I am currently 5'4 236lbs. I workout 6 days a week. 2hrs 3 days and 1 hr 3 days. Cut out ALL soda. I eat OK. Could be much better. I have been with this routine since September with NO weight loss. I was not a fat kid. Didn't start gaining weight until I was 22 or so. I am currently 28. Do I sound like a good canidate?

Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
(female)

silvertulie HB User

sounds like you have some great habits already. have you had your thyroid checked--done a whole overhaul medically speaking? its always good to rule out something medical. i too worked out with a personal trainer for hours a day, thought i was eating well and lost nothing--did that for months and i was tired of being SO hungry all the time. looking back i was probably eating more than i thought, but now that i have been banded, i have to stick around 800 calories a day just to lose a pound a week..i do believe weight loss is about math, but for some people the calories just need to be lower than can be accomplished without help (via surgery or liquid diets).
i was self pay so the process was super fast. i found a surgeon in texas (i was in missouri) i read good things about, had the tests he wanted done (ultrasound, psych referal, and a few others) flew out met him on a monday afternoon and had surgery the next morning. I stayed overnight because it was included in the price, but alot of banding is done outpatient. I felt fine, could have gone home after. For me, it was a very easy surgery. From the time I contacted his office, I was banded within a month. As for finding surgeons, there are great web sites that list surgeons by state, you can read reviews by actual patients, etc. (sorry, they won't let us list here). good luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
(female)

elmstlover HB User

I am close to st louis. Could you not find any surgeons around here? I went to a lapband site and they gave me a few names, but other than that, I haven't found anything. One was st alexis newstart.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
(female)

silvertulie HB User

at the time (2+ yrs ago) I wasn't impressed with the experience levels of the docs in stl. I called around the country and compared price vs experience. found a doc in houston who had peformed over 1000 bandings (and back then that was a crazy high number), and he had a great price. if i was going to be banded in stl now i would consider dr minkin at des peres hospital or dr de la torre and scott. not sure about their prices though. there is great benefit to doing it local--be sure to compare how many fills are included with the price--those can add up.

Closed Thread