It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User
Lap band and Hypothyroidism

I was curious about this....I am 31 and have been overweight since I was 6 or 7. I dont think my weight problem is completely from being hypo. (I just found out in 2003 that I was hypo.) At 16 I was 175 lbs and I am now 213 and 5' 3", my BMI is 37. I have tried changing my diet, and exercising and can never manage to loose weight. My labs for thyroid was done in March and was considered in "normal" range now finally, but I did convince my Endo I still needed a up in meds, which he agreed to. Still nothing as far as weight goes. I have been reading alot about the lap-band and I am considering trying this, but was wondering if it could be done if you are hypo. I havent found any info on this anywhere. Does anyone know if this procedure is done on someone who is hypo, or would it be refused? I found out my insurance would pay for the surgery, and I know theres alot of other tests that have to be done before hand, and dont want to waste my time doing all of this and then be dissapointed because I'm hypo. Anyone have any experience with this situation? Thanks!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
(female)

emmymm HB User
Re: Lap band and Hypothyroidism

I don't have a real answer only my guess. I don't see why being hypo would prevent you from having the lap band....unless there are other medical problems. Hypo alone wouldn't disqualify you in my eyes, but i'm no doctor!

I'd be curious to see how this goes for you.
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Could you post your labs with ranges as well as what med and dosage you are currently on and one of the "experts" could possibly help you figure out what's going on. Might could see where you have room for improvement in your treatment.

Deb

Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User

Thanks for the replies. My last labs were as of March 12th:

TSH 0.98 (.5-5.5)
FT4 0.8 (0.8-1.8)
FT3 2.9 (2.4-4.9)

So I was told I was "normal", but you can see why I asked for an increase in meds. My Endo agreed and upped me from 120 mg of Armour to 180mg. I have talked to him about my attempts to lose weight in the past with no success at all, and he did tell me I should start to lose some when my meds were optimized,and not until. I wont have more labs til June 28th. He has just told me when I mention the weight to "keep trying". But this has been a life long battle, way before being hypo. I dont think the weight is from the hypo...as my grandmother is hypo, has been for years, is on levoxyl and weighs 110 lbs, shes never battled weight, neither has anyone one else in my family, I'm the only big one, and it started when I was 6 or 7. I think the weight is causing alot more problems for me also, I think my sugar level is increasing, something I've never had a problem with before. I'm afraid I'll become diabetic. Like I said in the first post, my insurance will pay for all of it except for the 500.00 deductable and then I'm responsible for 20%, my insurance pays 80%. So all looks good there, I'm just afraid if I have it done, the hypo problem will keep me from losing still...or they'll tell me I can't have it because of the hypo. I'd give almost anything to be healthy again.

Last edited by Jamie2703; 05-24-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Wow, you do need an increase. You have quite aways to go and more adjusting before you will be optimized. Theory is you need your Free's in the upper third of the range and for me personally I need my Free T3 to be near the top to feel good.

To have or not to have the surgery is certainly a personal choice but if it were me I think I would wait until I was optimized on thyroid meds and give that a chance first. By your labs you are still hypo so it is too soon to expect the weight to start coming off. I know that is not what you want to hear, trust me, I'm the the worlds worst at wanting the quick fix, especially with this thyroid mess. It was so frustrating when I realized that this was not as simple as pop a pill and everything is back to normal, did not realize the slow process of adjusting and getting levels up.

I would just hate to see you go through the surgery, expense and then possibly still have weight issues due to the undertreated hypo.

Maybe some others will come along with some better words of wisdom. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best and hope all goes well.

Deb

Old 05-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

comanchesue HB User

My boss is hypo and had a gastric bypass - hasn't had any problems and obviously wasn't refused becasue of hypo.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User

Thanks to you all for the responses. Deb123, I do agree with you, I needed the increase, they were going to let me stay like that, but I asked for it...so I wont know what my new #'s are til June . Then I'll know how my increase was....as for right now, I'm very sleepy all the time, and dont have energy for anything. The past 2 weeks before this week was wonderful...I was full of energy, but this past weekend we went on a little vacation and I think that wiped me out...so I'm paying dearly this week. I know where you're coming from about waiting to see how my meds do before I have a surgery. I think thats what I'm going to do, give it some more time, I just have been adjusting my meds for 4 years now, so I'll be glad to see the day I'm actually optimized....then if nothing happens for a while after that (if that day ever comes )I'll consider the surgery. It's been 4 years already trying to get my meds right without success, and I'm afraid my health is going to get worse from excess weight before that day ever gets here. But this forum helps me when I'm down...Thanks for all y'all do!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

OK, didn't realize you have been trying that long to get adjusted. Have you ever had your adrenals tested? Reason asking, if they are weak then your thyroid meds cannot get out of your blood and into your cells and tissues and resolve symptoms. You need enough cortisol for that to happen, without it you just can't get the thyroid issue better. A 24 hr saliva test is the way to determine what shape your adrenals are in.

It could just from looking at your labs though, that you are simply undermedicated. If you have been working all this time and only up to 120mg with still low Free's you need more meds. I'm on 210mg mg if armour and I'm still not optimized, close but still working on my adrenals so it will be awhile longer. If you can get your Free's up then you will hopefully see your metabolism start to kick in and see some results.

I know slowly is the way to go with thyroid meds but for gosh sakes, four years! I know you have got to be more than ready to start feeling better. I would keep a close check on your Free's and keep asking for increases every six weeks or so until your levels get up to the upper third of the range. If you get hyper then slow down.

I do hope things improve for you soon.

Deb

Old 05-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User

Thanks Deb123. I have thought of my adrenals before, and I have had two different tests but dont know if they would be the ones for the adrenals or not, they were to test for high cortisol. I had the 24 hour urine test and my endo did a dexamethasone suppression test. The reason for these were because my Family doc suspected adrenal cancer, which came back neg, thank goodness, but would they tell if something is wrong with my adrenals? I havent had the saliva test done that you mentioned. But both of the others came back normal. Should I mention adrenals to my endo when I see him in June? Thanks for the help...and I'll try to get my endo to keep increasing my meds!

Old 05-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

I was diagnosed with a 24 hr urine test but have since found out that the 24 hr saliva is the best and most accurate. Mine urine test did pick up my AF but I was really really bad. I'm not familiar with the other test so not sure. You might mention it to your endo and see if he thinks you might benefit from a saliva test. Never hurts to cover all bases. You might also look for a list of low adrenal symptoms and see how many if any fit you.

I really think you will see some improvement if you can get your levels up. Doctors for whatever reason, do tend to undermedicate when it comes to thyroid. Hang in there and keep speaking up to your doc if you think things aren't right.

Deb

Closed Thread