It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: lap band

Hi Denise! I'm very interested in hearing how you are feeling right now and what made you decide to have the lap band procedure. I'm scheduled to see a bariatric surgeon on August 20th for a consultation about getting the laprascopic banding done. I am currently 220 lbs and only 4'11". I'm disabled and in a wheelchair, I have lung disease that my pulmonary doctor thinks will improve about 80% if I get the band. I've tried everything to lose weight, but being stuck in a wheelchair and unable to exercise is a vicious circle! What were the reasons you decided to get one and did you have any health issues that were caused by your obesity? Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you while you recouperate...but maybe writing about your experiences over the past few weeks will take your mind of things. I, for one, would really appreciate your input. All the best - Memere

Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

denise62 HB User
Smile Re: lap band

hi nice to hear from you I decided to have lap band surgery because of my weight I was 240 and 5' 3 tryed everything to lose so i spoke to the dr about the band.. Iam glad i did it I feel good except for the gas inmy stomach I didnot have any health issues yet but if i don't get this weight off i will I would get all the info and see if it is right for you I wish you lots of luck keep me posted

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
(female)

ibluckymom HB User

Hi Denise-hope everything is going well for you.

I was wondering, how much overweight do you have to be to get the lap band. I am 60 pounds overweight and sometimes I feel like I just can't go on another diet.

Also, did you insurance pay, or did you out of pocket, and, if so, do you mind telling us?

Any info would be great. Thanks!!

Last edited by ibluckymom; 08-04-2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Imom - I know you addressed your post to Denise, but I have some of the answers for you so I thought I'd jump in here. I am scheduled to see the Bariatric Surgeon for my initial consultation to get the lap band procedure on August 20. I know from already having seen such a surgeon that you need to have a bmi (body mass index) of at least 40 or be 100 lbs overweight for most insurance companies to pay for the procedure. Some insurance companies will pay for the operation if you have a bmi of only 35 if you have co-morbidity issues along with your weight such as: diabetes, lung disease, high cholesterol, hypertension and some others. I haven't heard of any surgeons willing to operate on someone with a bmi of less than 35. Most insurance companies will cover the procedure. If you have to pay out of pocket it can cost anywhere from $15,000 upward, at least that's the price the first surgeon was charging patients without insurance. I live near the Washington, D.C. area so I'm sure the costs could be much higher or lower depending where you reside. Hope that helps some. All the best - Memere

Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
(female)

saiyukifg HB User
Re: questions about lap band

Memere- You seem to have a wealth of knowledge, so:
I checked my BMI online and I am at 35. But I also have a liver disease and esophageal varices that limit my ability to exercise. >_< I am going on a transplant list sometime soon after my transplant evaluation and since liver + fat = bad I've been trying to lose weight. But restrictions of exercise is a problem and dieting while on Prednisone is like nailing jello to a tree.
Do you think that my health limitations of diet and exercise will help in getting a lap band?

Closed Thread