It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
(female)

PenneyD28 HB User
Unhappy The Lapband Not Working?

I have had the lapband for over a year. I throw up my meals, I excercise and I have lost 12 pounds. i eat green salad and I do my very best. but for some reason I am not losing. i have had 3 total operations on the band. It just got truly fixed 2 months ago and yet i am still not losing any weight. I am depressed and down and ready to give up. I have no will power any more and at first I was like an inspiration to people, now they look at me an say things like, Wow that lapband doesn't work does it? Or You must be over eating. They are cruel. I feel like when we have dinner at the office that if I eat a peice of lettuce someone else is gonna make a rude comment. I know this was not supposed to be easy but I am so tired of being over weight. No you know what I am tired of beinf FAT! why baby the word. I am OBESE. I have suffered so much by having the lapband that now I feel like I wasted my life, the pain was for nothing and the way my spouse looks at me makes me feel like I have let them down and my kids hate that I can not go out to eat with them without puking my guts out after every little bite. But stay fat and embarrasing to them. They get made fun of for having a fat mommy. I just need will power to excercise more and eat like NOTHING. I feel like I am being punished. Maybe I am, who knows. Sometimes it does feel better talking about it. But I know there are people out there just like me. Maybe we can help each other. maybe we can be supportive in some way that we really don't know of unless we try. I don't know. Has anyone else had trouble losing with the band?

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: PenneyD28
arm2011 (07-14-2011), Kali333 (07-14-2011), MELINDA7 (11-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
(female)

StephMA HB User
Re: The Lapband Not Working?

I'm sorry you are suffering but this just doesn't sound right. What does your gastro surgeon say? Have you considered seeking a second opinion?

I know people who have had weight loss surgery, lost teh weight and gained it back ... but to have never lost it and be vomiting as much as you are ...

Your situation sounds difficult. ((hugs))

Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
(female)

PenneyD28 HB User

Thank you so much for your comment. Its good to know that there are people out there tha are concerned even for a perfect stranger. I have yet to contact another doctor...

Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
(female)

KristaK HB User

I'm sure it's working...
But your not...
Why? well because your actually NOT eating enough!.
You should atleast eat 2,500 Calories daily.
If your not eating that much then your metabolism can become slow,
actually making you either gain or not lose weight.
So your not only putting your weight loss in jeopardy, but your putting your heart and organs in jeopardy aswell. So eat more Healthier meals. I suggest eating 4-5 light meals everyday!.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
(female)

kwebster HB User

Are you following the band rules. Protein first, veges next, then complex carbs?? Chew chew chew, no liquids with meals?? Have you tried doing just protein liquids for a couple of days to give the stoma a chance to rest after vomiting?? Have you talked to your surgeon. Vomiting is a no no with the band.

There are other WLS options to consider with your doc. Do your research and I hope you get well.
Take Care
Kathy

Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
(female)

Mildred1260 HB User

2500 calories a day is toooooo many2500 calories a day is toooooo many calories to eat a day calories to eat a day

Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
(female)

Valentine0214 HB User

I have never had weight loss surgery, but I couldn't help but wonder if your doctors have explored other possible reasons for your weight issue. Have they checked your thyroid? Sleep? Water retention?

I was over 350 and pounds, and it turned out that I was carrying 130 pounds of water weight and was in congestive heart failure. I would consider having a thorough checkup and seeing if there is another cause behind it.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
(female)

SRT2954 HB User

I also had difficulty with vomitting. I had the doctor remove my fill because the vomitting caused erosion of my esophagus. I am a vegetarian so I need to make sure and have beans, lentils, milk and cottage cheese (as an example).

The more I eat of the right things, protein and veggies, the better. I keep protein shakes in my trunk, to avoid having an excuse to NOT eat.

Exercise may be what you need to jump start your metabolism. Mall walking, an ipod with great tunes and setting time for you is a must.

I have lost 100 lbs but according to those wonderful insurance weight charts, I have a million more to go. Truth is, I went from a size 34 womens jeans and now I am into a 20-22 jean. I am very pleased with every little step and I know you will be too!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-07-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: please do not solicit emails

Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I am so sorry for your situation...there are just so many questions but mostly something doesn't sound right so please go to another doctor for a second opinion from another gastro doctor at a different office. You might just need some fresh eyes on this most frustrating situation. There is an answer so try to hang in there and do the best you can. Your family loves you no matter what ...so hold your head up and look forward to each new day that an answer will come to light. Good luck to you.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
(female)

ridgelee HB User

How about an update???? How are you doing NOW? I had lapband two years ago. Lost 50 lbs. I've gained 30 back and vomit after many meals but not every meal. I'm discouraged. Would love to hear how you are, please!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
(male)

arm2011 HB User

I know exactly what you are going through. I have had my band for almost six months now and I have lost nothing. I have actually gained 6 pounds It's horrible. All I do is throw up. I feel like a fat bulimic and it's so embarrassing. I would love to talk more and maybe help one another out on our journey if you are interested. I am Amanda btw.

Closed Thread