It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

multiplepains43 HB User
Problems after Gastic Bypass Roux-En-Y?

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had any problems after their Gastric Bypass?

Mine was over 10 years ago. (right after singer/actress Carnie Wilson paved the way) I have since lost ~ 200 pounds. I go up and down about 25 pounds. However; I have had SERIOUS other medical issues since having my surgery. (I wish we could have had these mssg boards 10+ years ago...there was NO outlet to hear any negatives).

I currently have extremely vitamin defficiencies that they DID warn me about..however, no-one warned me about the reflux, the GI problems (I had already had my gall bladder removed 12 years prior to bypass surgery). I also have such low calcium and such a bad problem with reflux and vomiting, I have had to have 5 teeth pulled, 6 root canals (all b/c of the acidity eating away at the enamel in my mouth). My THEN smaller stomach, esophogus and rest of the digestive tract stay inflamed and aggravated. I've also had SERIOUS back problems (but don't know if this is tied in - I had a disk totally disintegrate and have been diagnosed with DISK DEGENERATIVE DISEASE - reason for my post), just wondering if anyone else has had any issues/problems/etc.?

I can now eat more than I did the first year post surgery, however, I still can NOT eat a lot or a variety of my favorite foods (any raw veggies and lots of fruits, any kind of chicken, steak, rice, al dente pasta, some breads, lactose, the list goes on and on and on

Just a word of warning, if I had it to do over again.....I would definitely go the lap band route. I had a friend go the roux-en-y route only 18 months ago. Something went terribly wrong, and her system never accepted the manipulation. She passed away after several months in the hospital, a reversal and a medicated pain enduced coma. I'll miss her....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
(female)

xx75 HB User
Re: Problems after Gastic Bypass Roux-En-Y?

im going to be honest i do have issues as far as tolerating foods go. sometimes even to this day - its been 5.5 years.. if the sun isn't shining or something .. even if i have eaten a food a million times before..it won't agree with me and i will have it just sit for hours until i start vomiting it up. but those episodes are nothing like they were in the beginning.

i do have iron issues and i am currently getting iron infusions and i have had to up my b-12 shots from once a month to 2x a month but those are the only problems with it.

honestly the problems have been more mental. i did gain some weight back about 3-4 years post op. 40 lbs. i lost most of that this year. i am now back down to 149 but im not happy. and i wasn't happy when i was at my lowest of 140 either.

so i don't know. i was an ok but not accepting fat girl then i was an unhappy fat girl now what am i? i am an unhappy skinny girl i guess. at least that is what i hear all the time. i just don't see it. i see the loose skin and the fat rolls i am always at the gym trying to get rid of.

i'd still do it again. just wish i would have been more prepared emotionally or that i had the money for all the plastic surgery my body needs..and it needs a lot!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

This is an interesting thread and I'm surprised more people are not responding. I don't know how to interpret that. Are the vast majority of people happy with their results or are people just not complaining very loud? Or are there just no bypass folks who read here?

My instinct is that most people must be happy with the results. This surgery has been done to so many people for so long now that I think it would be all over the news if a healthy....say 30%....number of the people were almost incapacitated by this "fix". I also am certain that insurance companies would stop paying if they believed they had a leg to stand on for easily rejecting people. But instead it's becoming pretty easy to get approval these days. On the other hand, I know that what you are saying is true and there are some people where the cure has been worse for them than the disease.

My only side point is that I have an acquaintance I used to work with in dog rescue who was banded. She would say a large part of exactly what you have said to the degree she told me just last week that she had it unfilled and is leaving it that way. When she is filled to restriction she vomits a lot and has terrible acid reflux. It's not the type of vomiting you are talking about but a lot comes back up because it can't get through the restriction. Her weight is down about 60 pounds from when she was initially banded and she could afford to lose another 30 or so but she says she's sick of the whole thing. I suspect she might recant and have it filled again at some point. That's the one great aspect of being banded, it's a bit more flexible. But it's not an easy route to go either.

In short, I know of folks who need to lose 40 or 50 pounds who want to have one of these surgeries as a self pay. One friend has looked into going to Mexico to a clinic that specializes in gastric bypass. I think she is nuts and I've told her so. If you can lose it 1/2 a pound a week and be to your goal in 2 years, do it that way. These surgeries are not the easy way out.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

seeking life HB User

Hi am two years out from RNY. I have had issues. I started off at the begining when I was going through the insurance qualifications at 415lb. (I am 6'2 woman) Day of surgery I was 375 and also diabetic. Within a year I lost majority of weight. Then the problems started. In July 09 it was found through a scope that I had an ulcer in the roux likb near the staple lines. In Oct 09 I was back in for another scope because the pain was unbearable. It was found I had a second ulcer, this one was deep in the intestinal wall. (these are considered marginal ulcers) A month later a repeat endoscopy revealed both ulcer were still there but the second one was healing. I had a great severl months until last month (Sept 10). I was on vacation across the country and eneded up having internal bleeding. I was hospitalized and given two unit of blood tranfusions. It was discovered that not only do I have two ulcer but now have three ulcers. The GI bleed was from one of my ulcers. I have always had great labs and never had issues with my iron level so never took supplements for it. Now I am serverly anemic.

My GI doctor believed the ulcer are related to the surgery because of the location and I need revision. However, my orginial surgeon does not want to touch me now, and I was at one point the model patient. So I have been working with another surgeon and possibly considering a revision from RNY to Douedanl Switch (DS).

The important thing here is, every surgery has their risks. I know many RNY patients who are doing GREAT and no problems. And I know a couple who are having issues, some severe. But there are risk involved with every bariatric surgery. Don't just jump into a surgery and have it fix everything. The surgery is just a tool and YOU need to do the work. And there are risks with the tool. Do your research. There are several diffrent types of surgeir. Ranging from the Lap Band, RNY, VSG and DS to name a few. Know what you issue is, and pick the surgery that best fits your needs.

One last thing. One person brought up mental health. This is probablly the MOST IMPORTANT part of having this surgery that is not giving enough attention. If you are seeking Weight Loss Surgery, start seeing a psychologist and continue after the surgery. There are various reason why people have weight issue and majority of the people who have WLS have emotional issues and a tie to food as their comfort. There is a high instance of transfer addtion in WLS community. You will not have the same ability to comfort yourself with food, or you may fall back into the pattern and gain weight. WLS is a lifestyle change and I mean on ALL aspects of your life. Personanly it took 7 years to come to the decision to have this surgery and when I had it, I was mentally prepared.

The Following User Says Thank You to seeking life For This Useful Post:
Nicole9012 (04-13-2012)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking life View Post

One last thing. One person brought up mental health. This is probablly the MOST IMPORTANT part of having this surgery that is not giving enough attention. If you are seeking Weight Loss Surgery, start seeing a psychologist and continue after the surgery. There are various reason why people have weight issue and majority of the people who have WLS have emotional issues and a tie to food as their comfort. There is a high instance of transfer addtion in WLS community. You will not have the same ability to comfort yourself with food, or you may fall back into the pattern and gain weight. WLS is a lifestyle change and I mean on ALL aspects of your life. Personanly it took 7 years to come to the decision to have this surgery and when I had it, I was mentally prepared.
Thank you!!! I was in a program for surgery and the one issue they DID NOT want to address was the mental health aspects. My goal toward having the surgery was to be mentally ready for the change that was going to happen. Their emphasis was ONLY the number on the scale. Yes, they would refer me to a doctor outside of the program if I needed to talk to someone but they did not want it to be addressed inside of the program.

I had really worked toward the mental process of being ready. I went to a hypnotist who helped me greatly. Then, because I had not lost 20% of needed weight loss, they canceled on me. I was so ready and then NO! They actually rather bragged that their success is because they will not operate on people who are not able to lose that 10% prior to surgery. Cut out the ones who are at risk of not succeeding. (By the way, I was 2 pounds short of my 10% and would have lost approximately 7 to 11 pounds during the 2 week pre-surgery diet.) I decided that their program, their way of viewing overweight as being about foodin/foodout only did not work for me so I lost a ton of money and walked away. I'm finding practices who feel the way I do, that it's as important to be mentally ready as physically ready but they are all out of my state. So I'm biding my time.

And, as an FYI, I am now down about 35 pounds ( way over the 10% ) from the day I missed surgery by 2 pounds. Some days I want to go to the office and just make the doctor look at the number on the scale! Any fat person can diet weight off for the short term. Keeping it off is the nightmare and yet these people don't seem to know that yet.

Last edited by resolution09; 10-26-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

RhymeTyme2 HB User

Hi....I had a laproscopic gastric bypass almost 7 years ago(May 17,2004).I followed my surgeons' advice to the letter and was quite sucessful with the weightloss.I lost almost 100 pounds in 9 months,and have lost a total of 200 pounds.I,too,still have food issues.I can eat just about anything I want or like,however..."What went down easily yesterday will make me sick today" is my mantra.There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.For example:I can eat a piece of chicken today,and tomorrow have a leftover piece,and then here come the"tumbles"..racing to the bathroom,it comes up alot faster than it went down! The odd thing is,I know when it's not going to be accepted...my mouth waters,my new little tummy gets what I call the tumbles,and then,up it comes.This doesn't happen nearly as often as it did in the months following surgery,but it still happens occassionally.AS for the vitamins,I am now borderline anemic,and short on B-12,so I take a perscription strengh iron supplement and give my own B-12 injections every 2 weeks.B-12 levels have improved,but ferritin levels are slower to improve.Would I do it again? Yes,in a heartbeat.It saved my life.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
(female)

Nicole9012 HB User
Cool Re: Problems after Gastic Bypass Roux-En-Y?

My first piece of advice for anyone who asks me about my RNY I had in 2003 has always been, it's STOMACH surgery, NOT BRAIN surgery. If you are a food addict and don't address that issue first, eventually that addiction will have to be filled by the void that food used to fill. I was not informed thoroughly about future complications and am now suffering from severe anemia, I was just released from the hospital a few days ago, where I was in ICU for a week to get my hgb level back up from the lowest they had ever seen in anyone actually able to walk around and function on a daily basis. It was 2.2. Yes, 2.2, a level so critical that I had 6 units of blood transfused to me along with 6 b-12 shots, 12 iron infusions and a potassium drip the whole week I was there bc it was almost depleted and when I was released, my hgb had only risen to a 6.0. I don't feel much different, but I do look as though I've been in the tanning bed bc I actually have color to my skin instead of the pasty white ghostly transparent skin I had become accustomed to.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi,
I was very interested in your post, I had lap band surgery 7 years ago and I have lost 174lbs give or take a few. I am now suffering from anemia, reflux and osteoarthritis. The way I look at it surgery may have caused me some problems but if I was still carrying the extra weight I would have other health problems.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
(female)

kathyam5 HB User
Talking Re: Problems after Gastic Bypass Roux-En-Y?

I know this is an older post but I wanted to reply. I am 7 years post Roux-En-Y. I lost 100 lbs and have managed to keep it off. I may gain a few but then I lose them easily. My main issue has been with iron and B-12. There are still a few foods I don't tolerate well; some I can tolerate one day and not the next time I eat it. However I am so eternally grateful I had the surgery. My life has changed. I stayed at home and went to work and church. Now I have an active social life. I do believe I could have had a more active life prior to the weight loss but I had no confidence in me. I still have moments of insecurity but I can hide it pretty well!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
(female)

jinx0924 HB User

Hi all!
I had a Roux-en Y done in 1999. I started at 350 pounds and today I hover about 200. I have the typical complaints of Iron deficiency, Anemia, and gastric upset. I eat alot of tums which I am hopeful will also keep my calcium up. I also have difficulty eating some things. Usually lean meat. I can tell almost immediatley if Im gonna lose it or not. Overall, I would still do it again. I am working at losing some more weight but I havent been trying for the past several years. the lowest my weight ever got was about 175. 200 seems to be my steady point. I am still satisfied. I want to lose about 40 pounds and then am going to have this saggy gross skin removed!! I would not discourage anyone from having weight loss surgery. I was miserable at 350 pounds. In the past 13 years, I have had a beautiful daughter and gotten married. Things that probably never would have happened before. Good luck to everyone!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
(female)

toosad HB User

I am looking into the same revision-from roux-en-y to DS. Do you mind my asking how far you have got with it? I am absolutely wore out trying to get all the paperwork I need to get my insurance to pay for the revision.

I am very unhappy with the results of the RNY I had in 2004. I didn't lose near enough weight, and now have gained 70 lbs back. I absolutely stuck with the RNY program and walked 50 minutes 6 to 7 days a week.

The DS revision doctor requires (which is only reasonable) that my PC will support me on this and help co-ordinate all the paperwork, labs, etc. Since I moved, I have a new PC that does not know me well. She has not said no, but wants me to provide information about the surgery since she is not familiar with it.

My insurance requires I prove I stayed with the program and something was not right with my surgery because I quit losing weight and eventually started gaining weight. How on earth do you do that??????????

Since it is a revision instead of just an original DS, I have been told there are only 4-5 doctors in the US that will do it. I live in KY, and the doctor I think is the best is in San Fransisco. That is a long way. But he says he does patients from all over the US in one plane trip. You get your pre-surgery stuff done locally, fly there, spend 2-3 days in the hospital after surgery, (he only does it openly which I have been told that is the only safe way to have THAT revision done), he requires you to stay close 10 days, and if all is ok, you can go home. Luckily, I have friends only an hour from San Fransisco. But the Doctors in New York said the first month is critical, so I am going to stay a month with my friends. Is this crazy? You can research it to death, and still not know.

The doctors in this area (Kentucky) were so against DS back in 2004 they hardly mentioned it except to scare you out of it. I had never heard of it, so I believed them. Since then, I have leaned that means they don't know how to do that surgery, so they push what they know. I went to a few seminars 3-4 years after my RNY, and found doctors that could only do lapband, so they were preaching against RNY. I had forgotten that my doctors had even mentioned DS. I had never heard of it back then, and if they say it is so bad, why would I look into it when I could get their Golden Cadallic? If I had heard of the DS, I would have had that in the first place. I know myself well enough that at 314 lbs, I needed the strongest surgery out there.

I stuck like glue to the roux-en-y program and walked 50 minutes 6 out of 7 days. But I only lost down to 168. Then it just ended. Or I wish it had. I started gaining the weight back. I have now gained 70 lbs back with no end in sight. Of course, trying to diet works as well for me now as it did before the surgery-IT DOESN"T. After so much dieting and struggling with my weight still going up, I just gave up. It is just like they said, if I could diet, I wouldn't need the surgery.

Now, they want me to diet. I have been told you can only have 4-500 calories. I have been told your body will find a way to get around the RNY. I don't know what to believe.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
(female)

cynthia62776 HB User

Hi yes like you i have had many many problem after gastric bypass i had it done in 2004 so your not the only one having problems i didn't have many problems the first year much but i will say it has been 8 years in Aug seem like my body just is going down hill i stay sick with colds all the time i cant eat a lot still when i do eat i will get sick and my stomach hearts and i will get sleepy and just fill bad all because i eat i have noticed the last year i would say that i seem to just have lots of stomach problems im not sure what the problem is but if i could go back to 2004 I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THE GASTRIC BYPASS DONE!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
(female)

alisa0225 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia62776 View Post
Hi yes like you i have had many many problem after gastric bypass i had it done in 2004 so your not the only one having problems i didn't have many problems the first year much but i will say it has been 8 years in Aug seem like my body just is going down hill i stay sick with colds all the time i cant eat a lot still when i do eat i will get sick and my stomach hearts and i will get sleepy and just fill bad all because i eat i have noticed the last year i would say that i seem to just have lots of stomach problems im not sure what the problem is but if i could go back to 2004 I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THE GASTRIC BYPASS DONE!
I had my open procedure RNY in 2002, basically trying to be proactive with my health. I saw my mother struggling with her obesity to the point of hardly being able to ambulate and having difficulty doing any normal daily activities. I was slowly gaining weight, no matter what I tried and did not want to end up in the same boat. I am like you Cynthia and many others on here and find that I definitely would not have had the gastric bypass done either. By trying to be proactive with my health I have found that I was trading life literally. I have given up my career, as I cannot work d/t my health issues from my RNY, all stemming from the vitamin deficiencies that were not caught. I was given specific instructions to take Bugs Bunny vitamins twice a day, every day, along with three protein drinks. Do the follow up lab works and all would be fine. Wrong... very wrong. Unfortunately for me, the 'barbaric speciality hospital' closed up shop, not bothering to give any prior notice. I knew something was amiss as I was having an array of symptoms: ringing in my ears, loss of night vision, then hearing loss. Loss of balance began, to hair loss, then my balance began getting bad. Yes, I was contacting my barbaric surgeon, trying to get an appointment, which they were putting me off. Finally I put my foot down, when I found out they were closing their doors. I insisted on seeing them. By the time I saw them as their last patient, I was having short term memory problems. Poor medical care can and does make a difference. A permanent difference, in my case as I have ended up with permanent nerve damage from Vitamin Deficiencies. Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one from that particular surgical group.
I have had so many people ask me why I did this to myself. HUH? For number one. Why would anyone even think to ask someone something so cruel is beyond me. Then I wonder also, why would then even think that someone would even want to inflict this life of memory loss, confusion, constant pain, dizziness and overwhelming fatigue onto someone else, much less themselves is baffling to me. Those alone are hard to handle, but I think what is worse is the isolation. That, my friends, is my worst enemy.
Yes, I can easily state: I wish I had never had the RYN. I went from a very active Mom, MaMa, outdoorsy person that loved to travel, hike, horseback ride, cook, camp, and go to church to being almost homebound with the internet as her best friend.

Closed Thread