It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
(female)

scaredmama2010 HB User
is the lap band procedure a good idea for some one who needs to lose 75 pounds

is the lap band procedure a good idea for some one who needs to lose 75 pounds at the age of 21 and 5ft 3in and pretty healthy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: is the lap band procedure a good idea for some one who needs to lose 75 pounds

My opinion: Lap band is the last of any weight loss operation I would have. And it was the first I seriously considered. The negatives are just not worth it.

Do the research on the negatives and decide if it's something you can live with. I have a friend I met through my doctor (she volunteered to talk to people considering it) who is banded is okay with her decision but she does not, under any circumstance, eat out. When we socialize she only orders drinks and visits with us. She vomits (they call it productive burping) with almost every meal so she will no longer eat in public. When her family goes on vacation she has to fall back to liquid drinks like slim fast to get her through. She ate a 120 calorie snack bar here at my house one day and I simply could not do it. She took about 30 minutes to eat the bar by pinching off tiny little pieces bit by bit and then waiting 2 minutes between bites. It would drive me nuts.

For my money, I prefer gastric sleeve. There is a bit of flexibility on the size of the sleeve, there's no "re-routing" of your digestive system so you have no mal-absorption. After the first 9 months or so where you would lose the 75 pounds, your new sized stomach is healed and you should be able to maintain a healthy weight. As a matter of fact, the sleeve is like gastric by pass in that there's always the chance you will be able to eat too much down the road and gain back. So it's still about diet, diet, diet when you get to a year or two later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WASa HB User
Re: is the lap band procedure a good idea for some one who needs to lose 75 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by resolution09 View Post
My opinion: Lap band is the last of any weight loss operation I would have. And it was the first I seriously considered. The negatives are just not worth it.
I could not possibly agree with you more.

Quote:
Do the research on the negatives and decide if it's something you can live with. I have a friend I met through my doctor (she volunteered to talk to people considering it) who is banded is okay with her decision but she does not, under any circumstance, eat out. When we socialize she only orders drinks and visits with us. She vomits (they call it productive burping) with almost every meal so she will no longer eat in public. When her family goes on vacation she has to fall back to liquid drinks like slim fast to get her through. She ate a 120 calorie snack bar here at my house one day and I simply could not do it. She took about 30 minutes to eat the bar by pinching off tiny little pieces bit by bit and then waiting 2 minutes between bites. It would drive me nuts.
That all sounds verrry familiar. I stopped eating in public, it was just a horror. I recall a business meeting I had in Mexico with two trauma surgeons. I tried to talk them into just meeting in my hotel room but they were insisting on dinner. One of these doctors was a friend of mine. I ordered soup and thought I would just eat the broth. I got stuck on broth! I had to keep excusing myself to go throw up. It was humiliating.

The next day Carlos came to my hotel room and said we needed to have a serious discussion. He asked if I was bulimic. I realized then that I kinda did, I had surgically induced bulimia.

Quote:
For my money, I prefer gastric sleeve. There is a bit of flexibility on the size of the sleeve,
Really, there shouldn't be. Some doctors do make sleeves that are too big and while weight loss is okay, regain is very high. You go in wanting the smallest possible sleeve due to maintenance.

Quote:
there's no "re-routing" of your digestive system so you have no mal-absorption.
Actually, less than 1% of sleeved people malabsorb B12. We have an enzyme called Intrinsic Factor and with a smaller stomach we produce less IF. B12 requires IF to be absorbed properly. Usually just taking a SL B12 tablet fixes the problem but I do know one person who needs iron infusions.

Quote:
After the first 9 months or so where you would lose the 75 pounds, your new sized stomach is healed and you should be able to maintain a healthy weight. As a matter of fact, the sleeve is like gastric by pass in that there's always the chance you will be able to eat too much down the road and gain back. So it's still about diet, diet, diet when you get to a year or two later.
You can eat around ANY surgery type and people do it all the time. I went to a surgeon that is seriously good and at almost 3 years post op from my revision from band to sleeve I still can't eat more than 3oz of dense protein at a time. I can eat less than many that are only 6 months post op and that is why it is so critical to research your surgeon. Although I can only eat 3oz of dense protein at a time I could eat around my surgery type by doing that every 45 minutes.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

May have said it wrong.

No two sleeves will be the exact same size because length is as importance as width. While the size of the sleeve is controlled by a rod being placed in the stomach for a surgical guide, if someone is longer in the torso, they will have a larger sleeve. Someone very short like this poster would have a smaller sleeve and probably be able to take in less food. Seems to be a reason this works for both mean and women. The men tend to have the longer stomach, giving them a longer sleeve and the ability to take more food at a time.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-13-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
(male)

ricardo33 HB User

the lap band procedure can be a great adjunct to a weight loss program. it is less invasive and adjustable,even can be reversed. follow up at regular intervals is necessary.calculated band fills at regular intervals are best until both patient and health care pro agree on optimal efficacy.

if you can't take food in without vomiting or other gastric distress then the band is too tight or there is another gastric problem. you should be able to eat normally after a few months only in smaller portions, you must program yourself to feel the fullness. if you can visualizes the size of your stomach and what you are putting in it, it helps. listen to your body,learn to sense fullness. you are not supposed to feel sick or vomit unless there is a problem.
the surgery and it's effectiveness may not start to impact weight right away but eventually it works. the patient is the ultimate person in control. a change in dietary habits is essential, not a diet but a lifetime change in your diet.

i had the surgery in november 2009 i was 236 lbs, my ideal weight is 160lbs. the weight came off gradually, no big loss at first but a steady slow decline. i was a bit disappointed as i thought fast wt.loss. however the hospital thought slow steady was better. each visit, about6-8weeks apart i wanted the band filled with more saline than they would inject at one time. finally at the august 2010 appt. i started to really feel the effects and my weight loss was progressing in its' regular fashion. by october i was 40 lbs. down. and declining.

holiday times came and the rich concentrated foods were tempting me and i indulged. didn't lose but didn't gain. i started having problems as described above. i blamed myself at first due to the foods i ate and so waited a month or so until i weaned off the rich foods. by then nothing was going down without trouble. liquids or slurried foods were it. when i told my internist he informed me that no matter what i ate ,it shouldn't cause the problem. he ushered me right to x-ray for a swallow study which told the story. my esophagus muscles were not in sync and causing the problem of my food dropping directly to my smaller stomach pouch. they immediately removed all the saline and opened my stomach back up, until they decide a remidy. i am hopeful they can fill the band back up to a reasonable level.

i have ,of course, no problem swallowing and i do take in less food than before surgery but it is a constant struggle to keep the weight off.
most important however, and the main reason for the surgery, was that my blood sugar which was uncontrolled prior to banding, i took 2,000mg metformin and lantus shots daily. the sugar dropped dramatically right away and now i take no meds and my sugar is normal. the lap band worked for me in so many ways but good follow up care at lahey clinic and mgh was the essential component.
if you can do it and comply then do it.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
(female)

pampam1973 HB User

I have had the lap band..went in debt 10,000...and my life is miserable. Getting banded was the single most worst decision I have ever made. I cannot eat out with my family, I have to keep a barf bag with me at all times (I have been caught in some embarassing situations) I initally lost 75 pounds, but since gained back 20. Part of the reason being..it hurts to eat hard solids so I rely alot on "slider" foods that go down easy. If I get the band tightened up too much, liquids even hurt. Its one of those darned if you do or darned if you dont situations. Just my opinion...but I would weigh other options. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
(male)

ricardo33 HB User

i'd be miserable too, especially if i had to pay out of pocket. the procedure requires a complete change in diet,a change in the way one eats food, and a change in the whole idea of live to eat or eat to live. it's radical but you shouldn't suffer, keep complaining until you hit a happy medium.
as for me the band has caused esophageal problems which caused the md. to deflate the band and am now waiting for test results to see where it stands. the band immediately made my glucose levels drop to normal where they [after two years] still are.however, i am watching them slowly rise again. for me gastric surgery has reduced my sugar problems to zero. that is the greatest benefit.
keep complaining, the squeaky wheel gets greased.

Closed Thread