It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

shllly0 HB User
Lap banding

Hi guys and dolls.
I am a lap band surviver. Well sort of anyway. I was banded in 2005 at 150kg and am now 100kg after getting down to 75 at my best.
The price I paid for this so called brilliant success rate is GERD, Hiatus Hernia, misery and worsening depressiopn and this is not to mention the bags and sags of excess skin that I will never be able to afford to repair.

The following user gives a hug of support to shllly0:
thickness (03-01-2011)
Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User
Re: Lap banding

Hi Shllly0!! And welcome to the HealthBoards!! So sorry about what happenned to you I was wondering, do most people that get this surgery have this problem with the excess baggy skin?....janiee08

Last edited by janiee08; 10-25-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: forgot something and wrong spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
(female)

shllly0 HB User

Hi Janlee08
I am no expert in the field but this is what I think.
I am old..ish and have been fat for many years so my skin will not regenerate or tighten . A younger person and one tht has not been fat for a long time will fair better.
The doctors will not help out and the cosmetic surgery cost are prohibitive for boob fixes, tummy tucks and the worst of all is the bat wing arms. I suffer heaps having to wear 3/4 sleeves even in summer because of bat wings.. I was really big at 150kg and 168cm so if you are under this then spend your money on a personal motivator or trainer to help you get fit. It will probably be cheaper and you will definately derive many more health beifits by doing things that way. I am just as sick now as I was before my op. The only real difference for me is the increased depression and the constant reflux drama .Hope this helps

Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
(female)

TestyTess HB User

My brothers best friend who has a huge beer belly and loves to eat fast food just went thru 6 weeks of pre-surgery counseling and just had his surgery 2 weeks ago. I wonder what will happen if he decides to have a few beers(usually 5 or 6). He is only 45 and wants to live along time for his kids-that is why he had it done. I hope the counseling prepared him for all I've been reading on this thread!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

shllly0 HB User

Hi Tess
My experience with the lap band has shown me that any amount of liquid will go down through the band and into the larger stomache and be processed as per normal. The catch is if your brother eats anything. My surgion told me that for the rest of my life I would have to drink no sooner than 2 hours after eating. He was right because if I try to have a cup of tea with my one biscuit then sip on the tea, the biscuit gets stuck at the band sight and I am very uncomfortable for some time as a result. If I eat something more substantual than a single biscuit then I usually end up feeling like I am having a hear attack until I eventually vomit up the ubstructing food. Tell your brother to think carefully before he proceeds. if he develops a hernia (common ) then alchahol will burn like **** anyway and his enjoyment of a veer will be taken away.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
(female)

TestyTess HB User

Wow-it is my brothers friend and he already did it-they want to come and visit and convine me to do it!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
(female)

Serena40 HB User

Hi my name is Serena and I live in Spokane Washington. I have gained about 150 pounds in the last Seven years. I was wondering what it would take to be able to get the right Dr. for the Lap Band. Where here in Spokane does a Dr. except the state medical to have the surgery. I do have a letter of recomondation from my Ob Dr. It would make since to get all the weight off then my diabetes will go away and then I could have the surgery on my low back. Please get back to me ASAP. Thanks a bunch. Oh and if any of you have any do's or don't about the lap band please let me know. I feel I am truley ready to change my life. Thanks

Serena
Spokane Washington

Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

WASa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shllly0 View Post
Hi guys and dolls.
I am a lap band surviver. Well sort of anyway. I was banded in 2005 at 150kg and am now 100kg after getting down to 75 at my best.
The price I paid for this so called brilliant success rate is GERD, Hiatus Hernia, misery and worsening depressiopn and this is not to mention the bags and sags of excess skin that I will never be able to afford to repair.
I'm a lap band surviver as well. Aren't they just awful? I got to goal but not because of the band, I got to goal in spite of the darn thing. I have permanent esophageal damage and Barretts esophagus.

After 18 months of sheer hell I had it removed and revised to the sleeve to prevent regain.

Very expensive lesson.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

WASa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestyTess View Post
Wow-it is my brothers friend and he already did it-they want to come and visit and convine me to do it!
Don't do it. If you self pay for a band you will be self pay to have it removed and revised to something that actually works long term.

If you have ins to pay for surgery make very sure you pick the right surgery type the first time around. If it doesn't work (and it won't, not long term) most ins co's are going to a 'one WLS per lifetime' policy and you will be self pay for a revision.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Serena: Do it another way. I think people gravitate to the lap band because they think it's not permanent. But the damage it does is. It's 1) the least successful of the surgeries 2) the highest maintenance (including after care costs) and can be later down the road one of the more dangerous.

Research and think long term. I am very biased to the GVS (Sleeve). It's very permanent which scares people but if you are a person who believes you will have a life long battle with obesity, you will probably need a life long solution. But I admit that each has it's drawbacks.

Also, a side comment, the lap band does not cure diabetes as the other surgeries do. I'm not saying it doesn't dramatically improve the condition but it's not as likely to cure the condition. Gastric Bypass has the far best results for that particular need.

Closed Thread