It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Help me find information

Has anyone seen the TLC specials about this teen boy who had weight loss surgery? The first special he had the surgery. The second one showed his progress. The third one showed his skin removal surgery.

I have googled and can't locate it. I need to find his name and/or the doctor's name who did the weight loss surgery.

I'm trying to find someone who does lap bands on teens. It's for a 16 year-old who weights at least 460 pounds and continues to gain weight.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Re: Help me find information

Thanks to all who tried to assist me. I found elsewhere that the guy's name is John. Here's a link about him and the Discovery Health Show.

< edited >

Perhaps this information can help others.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-15-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WASa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra01 View Post
Has anyone seen the TLC specials about this teen boy who had weight loss surgery? The first special he had the surgery. The second one showed his progress. The third one showed his skin removal surgery.

I have googled and can't locate it. I need to find his name and/or the doctor's name who did the weight loss surgery.

I'm trying to find someone who does lap bands on teens. It's for a 16 year-old who weights at least 460 pounds and continues to gain weight.
Sorry, I can't help you with that but I want to tell you that anyone who is a very high BMI is not going to do well with a lap band long term. It's least effective in higher BMI females and most effective for lower BMI males.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Have you researched the different types of weight loss surgery?

Is the teen in question interested in having this surgery? Or are you presenting it as an option to them to assist in correcting their obesity?

I've said here before that I am not a fan of the lap band and I've done tons of research. However, it is the least difficult surgery physically and a surgeon might offer it as a starting point. But I agree that for someone at that age and weight, the lap band is not going to be a permanent solution. Among other things, a single lap band isn't going to last that young person's lifetime. And frequently after the initial band has to be replaced, the person will need a second WLS due to issues with the band. Often the person is converted to gastric bypass or gastric sleeve.

Truth is, at this teen's weight if they start with the band a second surgery will almost be a given if the goal is to get around or below 200 pounds. It's unfortunate but true. But obviously having that second surgery at 300 pounds would be much better and safer than 450+. So while I'm not a fan of the lap band, I do see it as a possible starting point.

The key to me is that the teen has got to be on board for anything to work, but especially for the lap band to work. It's actually the higher maintenance of the choices. The teen would have to be willing to go for port adjusts and fills. He/she will have to learn to eat very differently than ever before (chewing, chewing, chewing tiny little bites before swallowing) or they can create medical issues with frequent vomiting.

Assuming that the teen is ready and willing to have surgery, I think there are going to be multiple steps necessary. Counseling is almost a given. And I'd bet that any good surgeon will require something like a 50 pound weight loss prior to surgery. It may sound unfair but in someone that age it would show they understand the commitment they are making to changing their life. I'd actually be hesitant to go to a surgeon who didn't require these things.

I know this is information you didn't really ask for but there are surgeons out there who are happy to take the money and run if someone is a self pay. So just in case you read this, I want you to know that suggesting a lap band for someone is suggesting a huge change in their life that can have later surgical implications. As I said, it might be a start. But the teen needs to understand what might lay ahead.

Closed Thread