It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
Life after GB Surgery

Hi all-

I was wondering if there was someone here who has had WL reduction surgery and can give me an idea of what happens after. What foods, liquids, time between meals, amounts, and other information about the new lifestyle. TIA.

wb

Old 11-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: Life after GB Surgery

It depends on which surgery you opt to have. They are very different in terms of how they impact your body and what you can eat after. And each person is different in how they recover.

Typically you no longer drink with meals, meals are very small with protein being the dominate part of the meal, the place I'm working with does not want you to drink any calories after you are healed (liquid protein drinks while you are healing). Carbonated drinks are not well tolerated so even diet soda's are not good for you. You have to eat very slowly, small bites, and chew very well.

Life after depends on your starting point. I have a friend who was 80 pound over weight. She had gastric bypass 4 months ago and she is already at her goal weight. Because she is still able to eat so little she now does need to supplement her nutrition with liquid but that's only because she's already at maintenance. She's happy with her decision except that she now needs more sleep (about 9 to 10 hours a night) as she is very low on energy and her hair looks awful. It hasn't fallen out like some experience but it's pretty much stopped growing and looks very dry and brittle. She's not happy about that at all but it's one of the costs of such dramatic weight loss.

There are many sites out there that are message boards for only weight loss surgery. Find one and read for a week and you will learn a lot. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
(female)

jacksinn HB User

I had a gastric bypass on 10-25 of this year. Called a Roux-en-y. I was on clear liquid for 10 days after -- which is not a problem because you are not hungry at all. Then I could eat whatever I could tolerate. The first day what I ate consisted of 1 tablespoon of tuna for breakfast lunch and dinner. Your stomach is now the size of a shot glass and you will not eat much for quite a while. In between is when you have to try to get as much fluid in as possible. This is an effort. You always feel full. If you over eat you will get sick and throw up. If you eat the wrong things such as sugars and carbohydrates you will get dumping syndrome and will have very bad diarrhea.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackedback View Post
Hi all-

I was wondering if there was someone here who has had WL reduction surgery and can give me an idea of what happens after. What foods, liquids, time between meals, amounts, and other information about the new lifestyle. TIA.

wb
It does depend on what surgery you decide to have. I just had gastric-banding this week. It was a long process I went through to get to this point. I chose this method because it is the least invasive and can be reversed if needed. The weight loss will be slower than with gastric bypass, but over a period of 2-3 years it all evens out. I'd rather lose my weight at a slower healthy pace than all at once. There is a lot of information out there on the internet, just do a search for what ever procedure you are considering. Some doc's even offer orientations, so check one out. Be knowledgable when you make your decision because it is a serious lifestyle change.

Wish you the best.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WASa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
It does depend on what surgery you decide to have. I just had gastric-banding this week. It was a long process I went through to get to this point. I chose this method because it is the least invasive and can be reversed if needed. The weight loss will be slower than with gastric bypass, but over a period of 2-3 years it all evens out. I'd rather lose my weight at a slower healthy pace than all at once. There is a lot of information out there on the internet, just do a search for what ever procedure you are considering. Some doc's even offer orientations, so check one out. Be knowledgable when you make your decision because it is a serious lifestyle change.

Wish you the best.
Least invasive does not mean safer long term. The safest surgery type is a sleeve long term and the weight loss is far superior.

Reversible... I've never been on a diet that I wanted to be sure I could regain all my excess weight.

Actually with bands it doesn't all even out at 2-3 years post op. Not if you are referring to weight loss. Bypass has much better long term stats regarding weight loss. Banding provides the least weight loss and highest regain.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASa View Post
Least invasive does not mean safer long term. The safest surgery type is a sleeve long term and the weight loss is far superior.

Reversible... I've never been on a diet that I wanted to be sure I could regain all my excess weight.

Actually with bands it doesn't all even out at 2-3 years post op. Not if you are referring to weight loss. Bypass has much better long term stats regarding weight loss. Banding provides the least weight loss and highest regain.
Just a ditto to the last paragraph. I was just recently give the latest stats through my program and the band has the weakest long term results. And substantially weaker. On thing to consider for any one considering this is where you are starting from In terms of surgery, the band can be the easiest is someone is extremely overweight. So it can be a good starting point to get the first 100 pounds or more off. But if you have more you need to lose it's rare that it will take you to the finish line.

And one more note, I live in a fairly large city where there are probably 8 places who do WLS. Two of them have discontinued offering the band in the past year. Remember, it's covered by insurance so knowing they could get paid for it, they trimmed it from their offering. I think that says a lot.

Closed Thread