It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
VGS - Vertical Gastric Sleeve

After 18 months of research and following my chosen program I received the Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery last week. It actually seems hard to believe it's only been 1 week ago.

The surgery in itself was pretty easy. There was minimal pain. Unfortunately, there was significant post operative vomiting which is a real hoot when you have had nothing but water for days. I also had a mild infection that's being treated and causing a bit of a slow down in healing.

There are many ways to get to this surgery. My program is one of the stricter and most tightly structured. While I was going through it I thought it was irritating and a lot of it unnecessary. Now I can see the benefit of a lot of their rules. I've talked to people who went to Mexico as self pays who really struggle with the change in life and life style after. (Although this is not to say there is any negative issue with Mexico -- do your research and you can find surgeons as or more experienced than many in the U.S. and with excellent reputations). So far that transition has been pretty painless for me. I am mostly bored. For a total of 6 weeks you are on various stages of a liquid diet (before, during and after) and it gets very dull. I have 3 more weeks before I can begin to transition back to soft foods and I'm looking forward to that day. You don't realize how much freedom is attached to being able to take your nutrition from actual food, not having to mix drinks and count how many ounces of this and that you are able to take. But I keep reminding myself this is just a stage of the process and it will be over soon. Within 3 or 4 months I will be at my new Normal and this is a small price to pay.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding this procedure, I'd be happy to answer if I can. Right now my "mood" is set to cheerful when a more appropriate word would be hopeful. I've always been able to lose weight but I've never been able to keep it off. The older I get, the more mobility is an issue. I feel like this is the key to being able to maintain the weight I want...which, btw, has nothing to do with the BMI chart. My weight desire is MINE, not one assigned by some random statistic. I'll know when I get there. And for the first time in years, I know it's only months away and will be mine to keep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
(female)

tinav1958 HB User
Re: VGS - Vertical Gastric Sleeve

I am scheduled for the same surgery on June 20th. Did you do a liquid diet prior to surgery and if yes for how long?

Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Yes. The length of time was between 8 and 14 days depending upon medical conditions and how much weight you had lost in the previous months. I was required to do 8 days. The "drinks" (which were packets you mixed with water) were supplied by the surgeon's office. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The caloric value was 600 a day.

I did have 3 days prior to the liquid fast where I could have a couple of last meals if I wanted. I actually wish I'd taken better advantage of that opportunity. ; )

Good luck.

Last edited by resolution09; 06-12-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
(male)

kaithsandy HB User

In this surgery stomach pouch is usually made smaller than in duodenal switch patients. Patients who undergo the gastric sleeve procedure as a first stage procedure are typically expected to lose approximately 30 to 50% of their excess body weight during the following six to twelve months before continuing with the second surgery.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

Nikkip1977 HB User

After struggling with my weight for over 20 years On April 1, 2011 I changed my life forever and had the VSG done and in Mexicali! It was the best thing I did for myself! And though the journey has had its ups and downs I can honestly tell you that it the most amazing journey and I'm loving everything about it. Im sorry to hear you are having some vomiting. Take it easy on the drinking...take very tiny sips and hopefully that will help. The support of family, friends and co-workers is HUGE! If the support isnt there the journey may be a rocky road.

If you or anybody have any questions please feel free to ask me. Im here as a supporter or to answer any question you have. I have a amazing support group (and 5 of use in the group have had the surgery all at different times). Nothing is TMI to me. I wish you the best of luck in your new journey in life! Yiu will love it I promise!!!

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

rsd3016 HB User

I am just beginning the process and have lost 10 of the 12 pounds i have to lose. Is the vomiting due to drinking too much? Have you experienced new or worse heartburn? I have acid reflux but I am on meds for it. I do not want to do the traditional bypass due to the risk of death increasing five fold. Also, I have experienced a lot of sick feelings while on this diet and starting the exercise. Did you experience an all over flu like symptom and headaches? Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm a little lost.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #7
(female)

godsgiftkim HB User

So since 2008 have much weight have you lost? Any feed back on the surgery as a whole after the years.

Kim

Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
(female)

pp783 HB User

r u saying that a doctor actually performed a gastric sleeve surgical procedure on you when you only had to lose 12 pounds? thats just doesnt make any sense?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
(female)

missladytexas HB User

I had surgery in Feb of 2012 and I'm almost to my ideal weight. The first month is the hardest part. After that, it was pretty easy for me. You have to STOP eating when you feel satisfied or the beginnings of feeling full or you may throw up some. Once you figure that out, you're all good. I have hardly ever throw up--maybe a few times--since that first month. I eat protein first followed by veggies as the recommended diet. I don't drink when I eat. Simple rules to follow. Make sure you get enough water. Try to exercise at least a few days a week. If you follow the rules you will lose weight. No doubt about it. My diabetes is in remission now. I plan on keeping it that way by following the diet guidelines for life. I wish everyone the best. This is a great option. Best of luck to everyone.

Closed Thread