It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
(male)

ricardo33 HB User
revision surgery to remove gastric band and convert to by pass

hello out there,
i would really like to know if anyone has had the gastric band removed and converted to the gastric by pass. it can be done in one procedure. i am in pursuit of it.
the gastric band i have,has after 20months, failed me and has been drained of saline. 6months ago i started having trouble eating anything.until then i was getting fills monthly and losing about 1pound a week,not bad, i was satisified with the weight loss but estatic about the effect on type II diabetes. from day 1 after the band was installed, my glucose dropped fast and i had normal readings for 19months. a1c went from 10.8 to 6.30. then the other shoe dropped
when the trouble eating started and i could not eat dense foods i began to be sick at every meal. at first i considered it my own problem not eating properly but, it was a problem with my muscle control moving food into my stomach. the solution at the time was to drain the band and review in a month. immediately i was ok. after several gastric tests it was concluded that the band was the basis of my problem. my gi doctor at my primary hospital recommended me to have the revision or just remove the band. by now my a1c is back to 8.50 and the needle looms.
i am currently in dispute with the surgeon who did the surgery,at a different hospital, to have this revision. his staff thinks they can fill the band back up until i start to have trouble. this sounds like a foolhardy approach given what i have read about the band.
i even watched a video that showed the whole procedure of removing the band and conversion to by pass. it isn't a very complicated procedure.
does anyone have any experience with any of this. i would love to know as i grow bigger by the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

Debbajoy HB User
Re: revision surgery to remove gastric band and convert to by pass

Ricardo33,

I had lapband surgery back in Oct 2006. Did real well, lost 70 lbs. Then around Jan 2009 things changed. I started having difficulties with solid proteins. I was vomiting every night. The only food that would stay down was "crunchies" like crackers. I was living on peanut butter crackers and starting gaining weight back. Then I started regurgitating in the middle of the night. I would wake up choking and gasping - it scared me to death! Finally, my surgeon said the band had to come out. Fortunately, my insurance approved the band removal and revision immediately. In May 2009 I had my band removed, a small hiatal hernia repaired (probably a big part of the problem) and a revision to gastric bypass all in one fell swoop. It was the best thing I ever did!! I now have 90 lbs off, and I have a normal BMI. I'm so sorry I didn't do it the first time around.

The procedure isn't difficult under normal circumstances, but there could be scar tissue where the band is placed. I had my gallbladder removed about a year after lapband so chances were pretty good I would have scar tissue. I knew going in that my surgeon may have to do the surgery "open" instead of "lap." He started out laporascopically but had to open me up to finish. He had difficulty forming the pouch due to scar tissue where the band was removed. So, my recovery was a little longer but that was it. Didn't even need pain meds afterwards.

If have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Debbajoy For This Useful Post:
ricardo33 (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
(male)

ricardo33 HB User

thank you Deb,i'm encouraged by your reply,i am hopeful i will have the procedure done in the near future. unfortunately i complicated the issue when i first had it done. living here in the boston area we have a lot of choices for care. i get my health care at boston's premier hospital;when i decided to explore gastric surgery, the waiting was ten months for a consult. i was impatient so i went west to another hospital where i used to go for care and the gastric surgery dept there is run with precision and the wait for consult and then surgery was only a matter of a few months. back at my boston hospital where i prefer to be and prefer to have the revision surgery they tell me that i must first go to the original surgeon as other surgeons do not want to intervene in another surgeons work if the patient is still within the area of the first surgeon,ethics i guess.
my dilemma is that i can't seem to get to the surgeon and when i last had an appointment i still couldn't and instead had to deal with an assistant which this place now seems to rely on for patient contact. i am now using this inability to make contact as a reason to seek treatment at my preferred Massachusetts Hospital in General,if you get my drift.my primary care md. there is trying to facilitate this for me. you see how complicated i have it.

i'm happy to hear that you have had success even with a side issue that developed. it shows that the procedure can be performed with relative ease even with more complex cases. i did watch a video of it on web surg. which got me going on this matter. i hope to report back that i was as successful as were you. your band problems sounded terrible, mine didn't reach that level but i could not tolerate any dense food or same problems, unfortunately ice cream was so easy to get through. lesson learned. thanks again.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Deb,
Thanks for the great info. Can you tell me what your up to date affects are at this stage? I am asking because I am a band patient about to go to revision to Bypass. I wanted to do Sleeve, however have been advised that since I failed at banding I would fail at sleeve since they are both restrictive surgeries and that sleeve has no long term data to support it like 10 + years out problems or weight regain. I am headed to surgery in less then a month and I am very worried about the bypass digestive issue's which was my main concern for wanting teh sleeve to begin with. My surgeon advised that Bypass is the best option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way I am in North De right over the bridge from you. Who was your surgeon and how did you like them? Did you use Chrias down here?
CJ

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Deb,
Thanks for the great info. Can you tell me what your up to date affects are at this stage? I am asking because I am a band patient about to go to revision to Bypass. I wanted to do Sleeve, however have been advised that since I failed at banding I would fail at sleeve since they are both restrictive surgeries and that sleeve has no long term data to support it like 10 + years out problems or weight regain. I am headed to surgery in less then a month and I am very worried about the bypass digestive issue's which was my main concern for wanting teh sleeve to begin with. My surgeon advised that Bypass is the best option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way I am in North De right over the bridge from you. Who was your surgeon and how did you like them?
CJ

Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
(male)

ricardo33 HB User

hi i'm glad to tell you anything you want to know. everyone is different so not all approaches are the same but similiarities are there.
i solved the surgeon problem and had the surgery at my hospital where i receive all my health care, massachusetts general. their approach is different, they do not perform lap band surgery. they prefer other procedures. my surgeon in particular likes the sleeve but on me it was not an option rather the by pass was. last nov.11 i had the band removed and the by pass performed in one procedure that i am told took about 8 hrs. scar tissue around the band slowed things down. i spent three days after surgery in the hospital before i demanded to go home. in truth i was just miserable, not from the surgery but the accomodations were to me dreadful. my blood pressure spiked and why still is unknown. that was the reason and i left the hospital on medication for it. it is now pretty stable ,i hardly take any of the bpmed. i had no other problems or side effects and i am considered a complex patient for other reasons.
my sugar levels did not drop immediately so i continued on diabetes meds. the weight also did not drop off like i read it does for so many. my surgeon explained that i did not have a drastic amount of weight to lose so the weight would come off gradually. for several months there was no weight loss. i was managing to get the calories in with calorie dense foods. i was discouraged as i was craving sweets again and finding ways to get them. also metformin the diabetes drug i read contributes to weight gain. i researched about this dilemma and read about a newer drug called byetta which lowers sugar levels and aids in weight loss. not insulin, something else. i tried it and it works nicely. the weight is coming off. the desire to eat sweets is diminished. my insurance company is refusing to pay for it so i am embroiled in a battle with them with my doctors help.
my sugar levels are dropping along with my weight which is going down by about a pound a week. i am hovering at 200lbs. with about 40 more to go.

i started this weight loss surgery quest mainly because i was reading papers several years back about the success with diabetic patients. i was devastated by diabetes and was willing to try anything. the lap band was great in the beginning but failed after a year, now the permanent by pass although not as fast for me[mainly because of me] is now working. i sometimes can't believe how little i eat. in my head i serve myself more than i can eat and am just beginning to sync my head with my stomach. i was told that dairy may become a problem and over time it has. not that i go without ice cream but i find that the better the quality, the sicker i get. this is probably a good thing. sweets in general are beginning to have an adverse effect and i am developing a distaste for them. the lactos intolerance,which i used to scoff at, is something that really makes me sick for hours,so i avoid things that i know will sicken me.

all in all the experience is good. i had to go through the program at the hospital of counceling and group and all that jazz. at first i did with no problem even though the quality of the message was not so great, but the act of going through it is motivating. later as i wasn't losing i became reluctant to go.

i am glad i went through this, life is getting back to normal with a new and better attitude toward food increasing every day.

please let me know how you make out. ask me anything else you have on your mind.

Closed Thread