It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
(male)

john100 HB User
Adjustable gastric band goes wrong

[CENTER][LEFT][FONT= after approx 2 years waiting for my operation to have an adjustable band fitted ,i was given my op date. A surgeon called Mr Balupuri operated and fitted my band . I was on a high , at long last I had the help and dtermination to obtain my target of less than 100 kgs (i was 160 kg and had been as much as 210 kgs) . I came round from my op very happy , then took back t the ward. As time moved on I found that I was regurgarating all that was swallowed ( medication , phlem , water ) .i was put on a saline drip for rehydration and the next morning Mr Balupuri's Registrar came to c me and told me that they had to cut some excess fat aeay b4 placing band. He then tookme to a treatment room and said to me that the band was probably too tight. He then conveyed to me that there might b excess air in band and a bit of fumbleing around he found the entrance to where band is filled .and eith a syringe he attempted to draw air out of band , eith no success. Had t go for x-ray and drank some liquid which showed that there was less than 1 mm hole where unfilled band was , this explained my problem ,(BAND WAS INCORRECTLY FITTED) . I had a second op in general surgery (where I was told if it could b adjusted it would b else it had to b removed - WHICH IT QUICKLY WAS. I WAS INFORMED THAT I WAS TOO LARGE (BMI 45) AND BANDS ONLY COME IN ONE SIZE . Has anybody else suffered the same problem . I would appreciate feed back . Thank you john

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
(male)

ricardo33 HB User
Re: Adjustable gastric band goes wrong

you poor fellow, it sounds like the original surgeon was not up to the task. i've not heard of someone being too large at the site of the band placement. you deserve a better explaination and at the least a second opinion. if it were me, i would have reservations about the place and person who did the surgery. i'm told that the big determining factor with bariatric surgery is to find the surgeon who has done many at least 100. i realize your health plan may make it difficult for you to go to other places, but, you have had a failure with the procedure that was not you doing. this fact should give you leverage to explore other places.
i also had a gastric band and for the first year it was satisfactory. then i began to have the same problems as you. at first i thought it was my fault but as more time went on the problem got worse. after a few tests it was determined that "the problem you had swallowing a few years ago was now much worse" and the band had to be drained and then reevaluated.my mind was confused as to why they did the procedure knowing there was a swallowing problem. their solution was to fill the band back up to the point of rejection. this would take about another year to accomplish and the method sounded pretty risky to me. i couldn't readly see another surgeon as most surgeons won't intervene another's work if they are in the same area. the problem with swallowing that was ignored in the beginning gave me the leverage to seek another opinion.
at the end of next week i am having the band removed and the gastric bypass as a revision surgery. at my other choice of general hospital here in boston massachusetts.
i wasn't your weight[ which doesn't sound so bad since the surgeries are designed for those with very excessive weight. for myself, i was diagnosed with type II diabetes and weighed about 230 lbs or 100 kilos about. the band did bring my sugar levels to normal and the weight loss of 40 lbs was going good. as soon as the band was drained my sugar climbed up and now i am back on meds. i hope the bypass does the same good as the band.
it will be more complex to live with the gastric band and since it is a permanent fix, there is no going back. your lifestyle must change and also your habits and even friendships if necessary. food has to become secondary to your new life. there has been more success with bypass procedures than band procedures in the long term. also, i'm told the mortality rate for this surgery is also low.
you really have to want to change and be willing to do everything it takes to be successful. it takes a lot of lifestyle adjustments. i too have trouble walking and excerise is difficult but i am going to enroll in a class and do as much as i can.
don't settle for anything less than the best you can get. you may have to complain and look for help in getting the right answers. don't give up, make a specticle of your self if you have too. it's your body and you deserve the best. it took me a while to question authority but, now i am happy to interrogate any physician.
please get back to us with your journey i want to know how you are doing. i like this board, it is a comfort to hear from others who have gone through these things.
god bless the queen and find out who her doctor is.
sincerely
rick d

Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
(male)

john100 HB User
Re: Adjustable gastric band goes wrong

Thanks for the reply ray .my surgeon is supposed t b the top man in my locale and done 100s . At the seminar prior t surgery (which he held) he went through all the methods & seemed t me that he advocated the bypass above all other methods. There was also 2 bypass success persons who also spoke. The seminar was in front of approx 30 "fatties " like myself. About a week later I saw my surgeon at his clinic where he recommended (assumed t be true) that I was going t have bypass surgury. I told him that I didn't want the bypass & wanted the band. He told me that the I would probably fail with the band because I drank alcohol but that it was my decision. I opted for band. And u know the rest. The more I think about it since HIS FAILURE to fit band correctly (yes, I am putting all the blame on him) I am waiting for my t c him at his clinic at which time I want t c all the records of both band op and removal records.(which I very much doubt ill b able t c ) . My next appointment is in November (5 months after the op) . I have telephoned the hospital on numerous occasions t get an earlier appointment & t speak to him - alas t no avail) . I stil want the band and not the bypass as I have been told that the risks are considerably greater with bypass , risks I am not willing t take until all other avenues have been tried. Since I live I England , the op is carried out on our National Health system and yes there is greater failure rate to acchive target weight with band & that approx 20% of persons who have band end up back for the bypass.( in other words the cost t our health system is greater) & being cynical ,like I am , the bypass is being pushed more than the band ( thus more more value for money t the system). But you r correct about getting t the bottom of the first op I had and find out why an experienced surgeon like him MESSED UP & and also why a surgeon not competent in gastric surgery took it off when by rights he should have performed the 2nd op (or at least another gastric surgeon - of which there is another 3 at this hospital). The way I c it , he knew it was incorrectly fitted and did not have the time to re fit it atmy first op or 2nd op because there was more persons to be operated on tha day & that he wanted t go home early . Ps. He also dose the same work at a private hospital-where he probably receives more money. I bet patients at private hospital dont have the dame problems & that the number of ops r less. I would also bet that the ratio of G-band/G-bypass is greater & also that more care is taken with these patients. I was told off other band/bypass persons that eating sugary food like sweets,cakes,sugar glazed vegetables etc. can make u very ill and pass out . I was not infomed about this ay t seminar or subsequent appointments prior to or after my surgery , I was under the assumption that I could basically eat what I wanted unlike with t band . Anyway. Ill let u know the outcome of my next consultation where I am determined t get all my questions answered to my satisfaction . You r right to say what u have . Good luck on ya bypass ,but try to get asmany opinions from bypass patient as u can b4 u go through with it , after all bypass is pemanent . What about the sleeve method ? .any way whatever I choose I hope all goes well for u . Bye for now Jx

Last edited by Administrator; 10-03-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Closed Thread