It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
(male)

revisionCJ HB User
Lap Band revision - Sleeve or Bypass

I had the band put in Dec2009 and lost 20 lbs then started gaining. Last year my back started hurting me and have been advised due to the increased weight gain (more then pre-band) I am now a candidate for major back surgery, however if I lost th weight I would no longer have this issue along with low testosterone levels and other issue's.

WHen I started looking into doing a revision I was dead set on Sleeve, because it does not pose the digestive issue's that bypass does. However I was advised that since I failed at banding I would fail at sleeve since they are both restrictive surgeries and that sleeve has no long term data to support it like 10 + years problems or weight regain. I am headed to surgery in less then a month and I am very worried about the bypass digestive issue's which was my main concern for wanting the sleeve to begin with. My surgeon advised that Bypass is the best option. Surgeon also advised the sleeve was originally developed to be a first stage surgery then a second stage would be bypass and recently sleeve has become a single stage option, which is why no long term data exists. I am worried if I put my foot down and get the sleeve that there could be long term affects that are unknown, just like when the Bypass came out most people were Ginny pigs for Dr's to critique this surgery and the mortality rate was high.

Any help and or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by revisionCJ; 07-13-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: found how to fix title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
(female)

AllandNothing HB UserAllandNothing HB User
Re: Lap Band revision - Sleeve or Bypass

I was sleeved 3 years ago. I can't imagine it being compared to the band.

My understanding is that the band can be deflated, giving you back your full stomach (or most) capacity. If you had it fully inflated and failed, then you may have an issue. But if you did not go back for fills and keep the band tight, I do not see a comparison.

I was over 350 pounds at my highest and I am now 200. If I had skin removal I would be at "goal". Without those surguries, I'm as small as I am going to get.

I'm not saying I can't eat bad. If I want to I can eat crap and feel lousy. I do that occasionally. And contrary to common opinion, I experience dumping. If I eat much sweet stuff, I feel awful. It takes about 2 hours to pass. But 95% of the time I eat well. I eat 5 or 6 times a day. To give you a frame of reference, I can eat about 80% of a typical lean cuisine meal. I still have considerable restriction and I believe I will have it the rest of my life.

I am convinced the main factor for sleeve success is to have a good surgeon who does a good sleeve. If you are left too much, yes you might 'stretch" back out. I feel I was given a perfect sleeve. Just my 2 cents, I don't think you can really go wrong on your choice. But I don't think comparing the sleeve to the band is at all a fair comparison so I wouldn't use that as a decision point.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Hi,
I am actually looking into getting sleeved. I was going to get the band back in 2010 but never went through with it but I am full steam ahead with getting sleeved. While what your surgeon mentioned is correct that the sleeve was a first step it sometimes was the last step also, if people that were sleeved did not loose enough weight then the next step would be the bypass but many people were successful with just the sleeve.

I am on many boards and see a lot of things, one of my main concerns would be if people regretted the sleeve and they say the only regret is not getting it done sooner. Also compared to the bypass and the band it is the one that requires the least amount of follow up visits to doctors and what not.

I wish you the best of luck with your choice!

Last edited by angeleyz81; 08-04-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
(female)

shannon2012 HB User

I am 10 months post op for the RNY. I have no issues with digestion. I am 100 pounds lost but still losing about 2 pounds a day now it seems. the weight loss has slowed but i am not gaining which is the good thing. RNY is a hard decision but my doctor also told me that it is the best thing for me to do. i hope that helps a little

Old 08-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Shannon,
Thanks, I am actually headed for BYPASS tomorrow. I was able to get all my clearances and insurance approvals within a few short weeks. So after tomorrow I will no longer be a band patient I will be a bypass, wish me luck and thanks

Old 08-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

shannon2012 HB User

I wish you luck, i am sure you will do great. i was nervous at first because of the going under the knife sort say. i dont regret it at all. you have to have a strong support system to help you get through it because you will have your days. i have had them. if you have any questions or concerns or u just need a buddy to chat with about it, ill be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-19-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Please do not request any off-board contact, or post contact information. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to shannon2012 For This Useful Post:
revisionCJ (08-19-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
(female)

shannon2012 HB User

just wanted to wish you luck today. rest up.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Well Ii am here now. They gad to cancel the surgery because they couldnt get the tube n my throat, they are going to try again either tomorrow or wen

Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
(female)

shannon2012 HB User

oh my goodness that is a scary thing too. well i will keep praying for you that they can do it. was there a reason they couldnt get it to go in your throat. stay positive it will happen for you

Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Well its a combination of the technique that was used and possibly my throat. Which is why tomorrow morning we are going again with a different team to do this, should be better experience. Thanks for your prayers, I am taking it as a sign that something worse would have happen yesterday had I been operated on and that the nesthetist team was not meant to be. See Positive thinking equals positive results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon2012 View Post
oh my goodness that is a scary thing too. well i will keep praying for you that they can do it. was there a reason they couldnt get it to go in your throat. stay positive it will happen for you

Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
(female)

shannon2012 HB User

im still praying for you. i am thinking you had the surgery today. hope that everything went okay and your recovering well. hope all is well

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Shannon,
Thanks, I did have it that day. They had to do a open on me, which means longer recoup, more pain and is not fun. Today is the first day I actually felt like doing anything. It was very rough. Thank you for all your prayers.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
(female)

nicnac215 HB User

This question is for revisionCJ and Shannon2012. I am considering my options of band removal and conversion to sleeve or RNY. I see you both went RNY and over both near or over a year out. I really would like some feedback from those close to a year or more out. Can you please share your experience. Shannon2012, are you still happy? At the time of your post you were 10 months out with 100 pounds lost. revisionCJ, you had just come out of the op. How has your experience been?
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Nicnac,
I am very pleased. I am about 10 months out. I have lost 125 Lbs, 12 inches on my waist, 3 shirt sizes, 4 inch loss on my neck and I now jog 4-5 miles a day. All medications are gone and I can sleep straight through the night. I have so much energy now. The best part, I am below my military weight when I was 21. Come on, that's insane. I have not had a single issue, and I just follow what the dr and nutritionist have suggested, DO NOT VARY, and don't believe what you read half the time and don't give in to temptation. The most important aspect is to find a great practice to do this at, you must trust the surgeon and his staffs ability's, it made a huge difference. The place that did my band was horrible and I only chose it out of convenience, it was a 10 min drive. The place that did my bypass was 1.5 hour drive and I know they were the best choice and still enjoy going there, it is a completely different environment and experience.

The DR had swayed me away from the sleeve to bypass and I have to say he was 100% right that the sleeve was not for me. The biggest reason I wanted the sleeve like many was the ability to eat sweets, he made it simple. Sweets got me this way, if I wanted to continue to eat fattening foods, why get the surgery at all. It took a few days but it sunk in what he meant and changed my opinion. I didn't want to stay a fatty any longer and I knew the bypass would be the best option for me and it has been.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
(male)

revisionCJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon2012 View Post
im still praying for you. i am thinking you had the surgery today. hope that everything went okay and your recovering well. hope all is well
Shannon, How have you been making out? Have missed chatting with you
CJ

Closed Thread