It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

browngirl6 HB User
revision lap band to bypass

Hello, I had the lap band back in 2006. I have not lost a i any weight. But i am thinking about having gastric. I have bcbs highmark. I am wondering would i still have to fo the six month nutritional counseling before being approved. Can someone give me somr info if they any?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
(female)

midoriomoi HB User
Re: revision lap band to bypass

The first thing you really need to be concerned about is whether or not you actually still have coverage to convert from one surgery to another. A lot of insurance companies have policies where you can only have one bariatric surgery per life time or where they only cover up to a certain amount of costs per lifetime.

Secondly having your band placed back in 2006 means that all of the work up; ie the 6mo documentation of a diet and exercise program with a licensed medical professional; is too old. All insurance companies require that any documentation being submitted for authorization be completed within one year of the date it is submitted to them.

Lastly; and I mean this in the politest way possible; have you tried changing you eating habits and adjusted your lifestyle choices? In rare cases the placement and filling of the band is enough for patients bodies to start losing weight however ultimately the band is just a tool and unless you work to make it work nothing's going to change. If you don't start making good food choices and exercise on a regular basis you'll end up with the same results regardless of what surgery you have. Yes with any of the bypass options you will lose wieght in the first year and a half from the surgery itself but again if you don't step up to the plate and change some things in your living conditions and lifestyle then you'll just end up stretching your pouch back out and gaining all; if not more; of your weight back. How we explain it to our patients is that the first year of weightloss after surgery is all from the surgery, the second year out is half surgery & half patient, and then from year three and on any and all weightloss is from the patient and their lifestyle & eating habits.

Please think long and hard about wheter or not you can commit to that kind of responsibility before putting yourself through such an intesive surgery.

Good luck to you !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply