It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

not losing weight fast enough

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
karth
(male)

karth HB User
not losing weight fast enough

I have put on a lot of weight in the past few months.Have been trying to lose it all, but in vain. Crash diets and extreme workout only seem to be a temporary solution. I need a permanent solution to my problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User
re: not losing weight fast enough

Karth I have the answer that you are desperately seeking!!! All you need is a paper and pen and to check the calories of various foods that you eat.

When you get the number of calories to lose weight per day then you put that down on the paper and every time you eat something write it down. Do not go over the number of calories for that day and if you see you are getting close then eat something with low calories. Weigh on the scale once a week every morning at the same time before you eat anything. Continue this until you get to your goal and then maintain!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 05-26-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
sigmagoose
Inactive
(female)

sigmagoose HB User

Hi Karth, it seems like we need a little more history here in order to help you out. For example, what are or have you been currently eating? Processed foods? Lots of sugars and carbs?

Do you have any underlining health issues that might be causing you to retain weight? A lot of stress in your life at the current time?

Calorie restriction is not always the answer.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Voxx976
Veteran
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

I have always believed in calorie restriction. and it was not too hard because I am a big guy who can eat a lot of calories and still lose. So I started calorie counting, AGAIN, last month. My results were non-existent.
My problem is that at home I can use a gram scale and package listings for calories but I eat a lot of meals in restaurants and there is no way to determine calories without gross guesstimations.

I know that fast food restaurants must post calories in New York City. But REAL restaurants do not.

So I needed to do something else and I realize that I do a lot of nighttime snacking. SO two days ago I started NO FOOD AFTER 7PM.
I am hopeful, it is easy enough to pull off, but only time will tell if I get some results.

I am also going to up my gym time (resistance workoputs) from near nothing to 3 times a week.
I will be happy with losing a pound a week.

I'll report back.

Last edited by Voxx976; 05-21-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Always eat at least 1,000 calories a day or your body will go into starvation mode.

Best way is to eat less, exercise more.

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

For men I have read to never eat less than 1500 calories. It is harder to count calories if you eat out a lot. There are lists you can find that show the calories of specific items or restaurant. If you think you are only eating 1500 calories and in fact eating 3000 calories, it will not work. It is also true the calories should not be from junk foods but healthy foods. Exercise helps some but not as much as people think it does.

Last edited by mod85; 06-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 AM   #7
kumar93
(male)

kumar93 HB User
Thumbs up re: not losing weight fast enough

crash diets are definitely not an option. Crash diet sends your body into shock and makes your body to store more weight because your digestion goes into starvation mode. When you are committed to losing weight, you must look into a diet that actually works for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Voxx976
Veteran
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

A new diet starting tomorrow: The FAST Diet, also known as the 5:2 diet, popular in England.
It involves two nonconsecutive days of fasting each week with normal eating the other 5 days. It's not really fasting because women are allowed 500 calories on fast days and men, 600 or less.
Seems easy enough and with only single day "fasts" I doubt the body will put up too much hormonal resistance to starving.

If it works, it works. I just cannot go back to the never-ending aggravation of daily calorie counting.

Last edited by Voxx976; 09-04-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
Gustavo779
(male)

Gustavo779 HB User
Smile re: not losing weight fast enough

There are a lots of workouts course and weight loss courses on the internet today, the disappointing part is that 98% of them are crap. The remaining 2% are the genuine ones and are a bit hard to find. I will just suggest you check out courses online with convincing reviews.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
Candi4190
(female)

Candi4190 HB User

Hi Karth,

Our bodies and metabolisms keep changing, and what used to work suddenly stops working. For me, doing 20 minutes of weightlifting 6 days a week (different body areas each time), along with a high protein diet (75-100 grams a day plus lots of water to flush the kidneys), made all the difference. Also, if you are not sleeping properly, it becomes very difficult to lose weight. Good luck, and be sure to LOVE yourself as you currently are, so that you lose weight from a place of love and inspiration rather than a place of fear and self-loathing.

Best,
S

Old 09-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
Voxx976
Veteran
(male)

So far no complaints about The Fast Diet (from Post #8):
After 3 weeks (6 fast days) I have lost 7.2 pounds ...I cannot be more thrilled; I feel like Scrooge on Christmas morning. Yesterday was coffee, 4 ounces of kefir, a hard boiled egg and a can of Mondongo (Cuban tripe stew) for a total of 490 calories. I even hit the gym twice this week but I have a persistent pain in the ball of my right hand which makes any bench presses painful. I cannot go very heavy without pain (135 lb. max.). It does not hurt at all at rest...weird. Maybe lifting gloves will help to distribute the pressure better?

The two diet days are making me more aware of what I am eating the other days...although I DID manage 2 banana splits Tues. and Wed. I think I can do this diet for a long time, it is so simple. Eventually the diet calls for maintenance control in a 6-1 format...diet day once per week.

I have 23 pounds more of blubber to lose to get to my ideal weight. I have only tried 2 other diet plans in my relatively long life: Atkins (a dangerous joke) and daily calorie counting (too tedious.)
Let's hope Three's the charm.

Last edited by Voxx976; 09-23-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
TinaO88
(female)

TinaO88 HB User

The best advice I have is to track everything you eat carefully. I have had great success with tracking my macros, which allows me to eat whatever I want within what those should be for each day. Once you do this for a while, you will get used to what things add up to, and it will be much easier. Mostly, tracking what you eat makes you much more aware of what you are putting into your body, and helps cut out all the unnecessary calories that are contributing to your inability to lose weight. Along with this I recommend at least some sort of exercise, even just walking, a few times/week. I take a lot of supplements as well as use liporidex, which just makes me have more energy to be more active and ensures I can stick to lower portions, while getting all my nutrients. There is no one size fits all diet for weight loss, but eating better and moving more is always the best place to start!

Old 09-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #13
Chellw
(female)

Chellw HB User

Hello you could find a slimming world class near you or search online it is very good and easy to follow I have lost st3 7lb in 24 weeks and going on to lose another 3 st

Old 09-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #14
Voxx976
Veteran
(male)

Yaaay,

I've lost 9.2 pounds in the last 24 days on the 5-2 Fast Diet. I could not be more thrilled. I hope the results continue, even if at a much slower pace because it is easy to eat 600 calories if I know that for 2 or 3 days afterwards I do not have to diet.

Last edited by Voxx976; 09-30-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
sjenkins1990
(male)

sjenkins1990 HB User

Another type of fasting diet that's gaining a lot of traction is one where you do a daily fast.

Meaning you basically skip a meal or two and then eat all of your calories in a short period of time. This makes it a bit easier than going a full day without eating.

My parents have been doing this and have seen a bunch of success...My dad lost 10 pounds in the last month!

If you search for "fasting diets", theres a New York Times article that talks pretty in depth about it.

Hope this helps!

Reply Reply