It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

SunKissed HB User
Post Fruits, Vegetables, and losing weight..

Are there certain types of fruits and vegetables to sort of stay away from when trying to lose weight? Like for example, I have heard corn has a lot of carbs~and not to each starches...etc. Do some fruits have a lot of sugar in them that I should not be eating? Like watermelon..or grapes? Help!!

Old 05-15-2003, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
Hope this list helps you.

Smart Carbohydrates

Vegetables
The veggies that make the smart carb list include: asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, red and green bell peppers, spinach, tomatoes and zucchini.

Fruits
Fruits are an important part of a healthy diet. Fruits contain essential vitamins and minerals and are an excellent source of fiber. However, the carbohydrates in fruits are essentially pure sugar. Because of the sugars, fruits should be eaten at meals along with other foods and never alone as snacks. Learn to use fruits as your dessert at dinner or lunch or as a flavoring agent at breakfast.
Good fruit choices include: blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, honeydew, nectarines, oranges, peaches, pears, raspberries and strawberries

And the following don't make the smart carb list.....

Sweet Yellow Corn
Baked/Mashed Potato
Sweet Potato
Apples
Bananas
Watermelon
and of course...
Bread, Rice and Pasta.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

yellowroselisa HB User
Great info dawn!!

Old 05-15-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
Although some fruits are better than others, they don't really effect your weight loss. Bananas, Papayas, and mangos are highest-glycemic fruits. I would have to disagree with some of the fruits that was put on the not so smart fruits. Apples, watermelon, and sweet potato are on the lower glycemic list. Apples are pretty much the best fruit you could eat. Like the saying "An apple a day could keep the doctor away."

But just try staying away from pasta, enriched breads (Eat whole wheat/whole grain), and white rice. I eat bananas, apples, oranges, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, grapes, watermelon, the works.. and I'm still losing weight. I eat about 2-3 servings of fruit each day! I eat a banana almost everyday or every other day. For a snack w/ some fat and protein, or with my meals.

~Qweeny

Old 05-15-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
Apples and banannas! You're killing me. I nee the fiber from apples and potassium from banannas to prevent my funky-butt-lovin' leg cramps.

I have a feeling I know where these stand, but can I assume that the other vitamin C fruits (lemons, limes, tangeloes) are good fruits and grapes are on the bad list? I didn't see them on the list.

I do like that honeydew is on the good list.

jdog

Old 05-15-2003, 11:23 PM   #6
Veteran

camden HB User
When I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy my nutritional counsellor told me that carrots are high in starches. Was I misinformed?

Can someone please explain why it is important to eat you starches with proteins(at meal time for ex.). I know it slows down the rate at with the carbs are turned into glucose, but for the life of me I can't explain the whole thing! Guess I'm a little tired and the brain isn't firing on all 4 cylinders!

Old 05-16-2003, 03:55 PM   #7

ramsemonius HB User
camden:

I highly recommend avoiding as much as possible, the combination of starches and animal proteins in the same meal. They digest differently, and combining them leads to indigestion and may contribute to many problems throughout the digestive tract.

Furthermore, some reserach shows that combination of carbohydrate and protein in same meal actually leads to a higher insulin/blood sugar spike. Sometimes what seems logical on a conceptual level just doens't happen on the biochemical level. I know, its weird.
Best to you,

-Ramsemonius

Old 05-17-2003, 06:58 AM   #8

itsmyturn HB User
Can someone make a list like this for meats? If possible, could you put the list in the "itsmyturn" NEWBIE - message so that I'll get an email of the response and also because it has nothing to do with fruits and veggies. Hope this is not an imposition Sunkissed. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by itsmyturn (edited 05-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by itsmyturn (edited 05-17-2003).]

Old 05-17-2003, 08:14 AM   #9
(female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
I too think you should avoid starches... but if you're going to eat potatoes and pasta, eat the healthier kind. I'm not a person that avoid carbs, I eat balanced meals of carbs, protein and fat. Although I do not eat pasta or potatoes, I do eat flax, rye, whole grain breads.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:28 AM   #10

cav33 HB User
Just remember that eating foods rich in potassium is a natural way to reduce/prevent bloating. Bananas are naturally rich in potassium so I don't think its wise to eliminate them from your diet. I also think bananas are very filling which is an added plus.

Old 05-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #11
(female)

Kallay7 HB User
I'm a strict vegetarian and I eat anything natural, including nuts and avacado which are "fattening". Cutting out any veggies or nuts or avacado is not a good idea, I found other ways to lose the weight, like ditching dairy.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:06 PM   #12

Esperanza HB User
I have lactose intolerance plus another condition that does not allow me to process dairy products - it all goes straight to my kidneys and produces stones (it probably has to do with my Native American heritatge). But I do take in alot of greens - and it has not adversely affected my kidneys.

QweeneyBlueEyes - what is glycemic fruit? Tell me more about this - the pros and cons.

When I was younger (much younger), I did not like alot of different foods. I went to Mexico to live with my aunts and lost alot of weight just eating fruits and vegetables (no meat, dairy, and other stuff). But I lost alot of weight - primarily on the existance of my grandfather's avocado trees. Later, the doctors told my mom that it was this food that probably saved me from a severe case of stomach problems.

Closed Thread