It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2003, 10:02 PM   #1

Jimini HB User
Cool Which is the best diet to kickstart weightloss???

I really want to get into shape for summer. I am relatively tall 5'8/5'9 and i think i am at around 180-190lbs. I want to get down to at least 150/155 by August 1st of this year. I am not a big eater and i can live on yogurt and strawberries no problem but after reading these boards i was thinking is the 3day diet, mayo diet, cabbage soup diet..Which is the best to kickstart the weightloss and to continue shedding quickly???got any tips on what to avoid etc? I do not like bread and pasta as a general rule.

Old 05-30-2003, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
In my opinion the best way would be to start eating the serving size of everything you eat. Check out labels on all your food. Each tell you what a serving size is.

In general, everyone wants to lose weight fast. I don't see many people saying "I want to lose weight as slow as possible"

Losing weight and making it stick is a lifelong commitment. Try and adopt habits that become second nature. Let's face it, we all got fat by eating more than we burned. Losing weight on a plan that will eventually end and that didn't change the habits that got you fat in the first place isn't a successful diet. You will gain it all back.

I guess my basic advise is quit eating so many calories by making better food choices and exercise more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 06:22 AM   #3
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Hi Jimini,

You've gotten some good advice so far - maybe you could take LosingIt's suggestiong & do the 3 day diet for a kick start, then follow Lindarella's advice for long term weight loss?

One thing I'd like to point out is this: In my experience, the slower you lose weight, the easier it is to keep it off... and the faster you lose weight, the harder it is to keep it off. Maybe that's not true for everyone, but I know for a fact that it's true for me. That's why I've gone back to counting calories during the week & taking weekends off. It works well for me, and I usually lose 1-2 pounds per week this way.

I used this method to drop 28 pounds several years ago. I kept it off (without even trying!) for 3 years, until my dad died & I went on a months-long binge & gained 20 pounds. But now I'm following my calorie plan again, and have lost 10 so far.

Different methods work for different people, but I strongly believe that you're better off losing the weight slowly.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Old 05-30-2003, 06:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Jimini, the best diet is one you can maintain for life, which is why I would rule out diets like the 3-day diet, mayo diet, or cabbage soup one. They may help you lose weight, but your goal should be to not only lose weight but keep it off. Personally, I think all the diet plans out there that have a name are the ones to avoid, things like Atkins or the low-carb diet, because no one can or should be on these for life. The best way to lose weight is by counting calories, eating small frequent meals, and lots of exercise.

Old 05-30-2003, 06:33 AM   #5
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
I agree with Donuts. After trying Atkins for a 3rd time; I've decided just to go back to good old counting calories & eating healthy. I lost 3 pounds on Atkins in 7 days but I went over my carb limit yesterday (not by much) and gained 2 pounds back right away! Obviously, that diet isn't for me! I can lose 3 pounds a week by just exercising more, eating healthy, and enjoying my fruits & veggies! So, as Susan Powter used to say: it's time to "Stop the Insanity"!! As you've probably heard countless times before---you didn't gain the weight overnight; so don't expect to lose it that fast. You need to find something suitable for you that you can incorporate into the rest of your life. Whatever you choose; know that we are here to support you!!

Jen

Old 05-30-2003, 11:25 AM   #6

Mtn.mama HB User
I just started zantrex after reading some good results that came from it....just a thought?...Mtn.

------------------
ELASTIC IS NOT THE ANSWER!

Closed Thread