It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #1

microelvis2000 HB User
Question Food Pyramid Questions

[url="http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2000/document/frontcover.htm"]http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2000/document/frontcover.htm[/url]

It says 3-5 servings of vegetables
2-4 servings fruits
2-3 servings protein
2-3 servings dairy
6-11 grains, carbs

I'm trying ****** and having a difficult time knowing what the PIE should look like, its like 60%+ carbs! I'm a vegetarian, so confused,

Also I like pickles but they have lots of sodium, is there anything wrong with sodium? Its in diet sodas and lots of stuff!

The chart in general would divide out to be at least one from the first three, 1-2 from the carbs, per meal, ?? Is there a easier way to make sure one gets a balanced diet?

Do vitamins compensate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
The food pyramid percentages are:

60% calories from carbohydrates
10% calories from protein
30% calories from fat (one-third or less from saturated fats)

Limiting sodium is healthy because of the risk of high blood pressure.

While trying to lose weigh and stay healthy, it's recommended that you eat the lower serving totals. For example the pyramid suggests that you eat 3-5 servings of vegetables per day. When dieting eat 3 or 4 instead of 5.

As time goes on and you keep track, you'll be able to adjust easier to the pyramid. It will take some time of keeping track to see where you need to make adjustments.

Here's another good site that explains it a bit more.
[url="http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/food/food-pyramid/main.htm"]http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/food/food-pyramid/main.htm[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Ignore the food pyramid. This pyramid is from the government which is heavily lobbied by the food industry and it's based on research which is decades old. In fact, the goverment is planning to unveil a new food pyramid, but who knows what pressure the food industry has exerted this time. It sounds cynical, but I wouldn't trust the government or their "health experts" on this one.

Old 05-30-2003, 11:26 PM   #4

Deltalawgirl HB User
Im curious, if we ignore the food pyramid; what guidlelines should we use in place of it?

Old 05-30-2003, 11:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

The food pyramid was revised to the high carb content years ago, and the "experts" are considering revising it again.

The fact is, some people can handle the high carbs, and others can't. And not all carbs are equal. Some turn into sugar immediately and raise the blood sugar level. What is not immediately used for energy is stored as fat. Some of us are too sedate or have too low of metabolism to be eating much carbs.

I recently read a book (The Metabolic Typing Diet)about finding out my metabolism type. The test is right on. The book is inexpensive, and you can find out what protein-fat-carb ratio you need as an individual, and a lot of diet tips. The trick is to understand your own body needs and then make a life change, and not "diet".

I am quite sedate with knee problems, and I eat more than I ever have, and don't miss sugar or white flour products. People come up to me constantly to congratulate me on my new thinner look!

Closed Thread