It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 12:11 AM   #1

Tricky2003 HB User
Question Need help losing 15-20 pounds

Hi all, I've been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to post. Anyways, I went to the doctor's about a week ago and found out I've gained almost 20 pounds in 4 months!

I know that the problems are my exercising and eating habits. I use to exercise 3-4 hours everyday (I've got alot of energy) but lately have gotten kinda lazy.

And I've always eaten alot, but I would always burn of the calories because of the amount of exercise I use to get.

So because of my weight gain, I've started exercising again. I got a gym membership and walk there (it's about an hour and a half walk to there and back home)and stay for about 30-45 min 3 times a week. Also, I started bike riding to a lake by my house about 4 times week. It's a 4 mile bike ride there and back and 1.5 miles around the lake, which i walk/ jog. On top of that I do pilates, sit-ups, push-ups, ect. at home 5 times a week.

My biggest problem is the fact that i *love* carbs and sugar. I really don't get hungry until about 6p.m. and then I have a huge suppper. I eat most of my calories around that time of the day.

So any tips would be a big help, thanks for your time!!

ETA: In case anyone's wondering I'm about 5'8 and 165 pounds.

[This message has been edited by Tricky2003 (edited 05-31-2003).]

Old 05-31-2003, 05:36 AM   #2

Mtn.mama HB User
the only advice i can give you is what you already know. it seems like you have ALOT of will power. i mean thats a pretty good workout you're givin yourself. you just need to train yourself to not eat the things that you WANT but to eat the things that are beneficial in helping you to lose weight and be healthier.and personally, i think anything after 6pm in a big NO NO. unless, ofcourse you work a midnight shift or something that would make eating that late necessary.its all about forcing yourself to do what is right! you are in a very good place for support. join in on the "summer weight loss challenge" or the "weigh-in(2)" thread. you'll get alot of support there! good luck to you......Mtn

------------------
ELASTIC IS NOT THE ANSWER!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2003, 06:06 AM   #3

Tricky2003 HB User
Yeah Mtn.mama, I have lots of will power when it comes to exercising (I just got back from my morning jog/bike ride/ walk), just none when it comes to food (like all those cookies i ate last nite).

But at least all that exercising has paid off, I've already lost 4 pounds and am now 161.

Old 05-31-2003, 06:21 AM   #4
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
Tricky--welcome to the board. I can promise you that it will provide the support and encouragement you're searching for! Everyone is just so great here; I wouldn't dream of going elsewhere for motivation!!!

I'm not sure if I can be of any help or not--but I read in your post that you have trouble with carbs. I would suggest cutting back on them gradually- that seems to have worked for me. I also noticed that you are an "exercise machine"! Well, good for you!!! In that case- I wouldn't suggest going too low in carbs; you need them for energy. Plus, by the way you described your exercising habits; I assume you burn them off pretty quickly. The only suggestion I would have then is to focus on getting more complex carbs.....that means less cookies!!! LOL I'm not saying avoid them completely--- everyone deserves a treat--but make it just that--an occasional treat. Also, I hope that you are drinking tons of water! There's no better substance for the body--especially and active one like you!!! I hope some of this helps. I look forward to hearing your progress and sharing this journey with you!!!

Jen

Old 05-31-2003, 07:57 PM   #5

Tricky2003 HB User
Question

Hello Jen. Yup carbs are a huge problem for me. I usually eat like 250 a day. I liked to get down to 150 or lower soon. Would cutting 5-10 carbs out each day be a good way to do that?

Old 06-01-2003, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Tricky2003, if you're that physically active, you shouldn't cut back on carbs. You need them for energy. For that reason, it makes more sense to have those carbs earlier in the day when your body needs them. Having them in the evening almost defeats the point. That's why you shouldn't have so many calories after 6. Your body knows you're going to go to sleep soon so it won't burn those carbs as easily, making it more likely there'll be excess. Since you love carbs, don't give em up. Just load them in your breakfast and lunch instead of dinner. As for sugar, it's better to avoid them but if you have to indulge, do it earlier in the day when there's a better chance of them being used up.

Closed Thread