It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 09:09 AM   #1

PeppaAnne13 HB User
Post Summer Weight Loss Challenge 1

Hey guys,
I know the challenge starts tomorrow but I just wanted to give ya'll a heads up. AndreaPhilip3 had to go away for a few days and asked me to take over the challenge until she gets back. She feels bad but know's you guys will kick butt with this challenge.

Peppa

Old 05-31-2003, 10:02 AM   #2

libby HB User
Peppa, I am rather new to this site. your challenge interests me. What do I need to do to join? And, how long is it for?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #3
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
Hi all! Be sure to tell Andrea that we will miss her; I look forward to logging on each day and chatting with her. She is the main lifeline of this forum. Hurry back AP!!!!!

If you don't mind my answering your question, Libby- the summer challenge begins today or tomorrow (your choice) and runs until 8-31. We basically just set goals for ourselves (can be a weightloss goal or even just simple goals like exercising more or eating healthy)and then do our best to achieve that goal. We come to this board to give support, receive support and basically just to stay in touch. While our conversations aren't always limited to weight loss issues; this board is the perfect place for motivation. I know that I couldn't live without it. I've created friendships on this board that will travel with me throughout my life; and it's amazing the bond you can form with people who you've never met personally! A little off the subject-but I used to snicker at people who say they fell in love with someone over the internet; and while I'm not truly convinced that this can happen (I don't know- it never happened to me) what I have learned from participating in these challenges is that there can be an incredible connection between all of us! I am so glad that you've decided to become part of our group! A warm welcome to you!!!

Well, I can say that I started out this summer challenge today with much ambition. I just finished a 45 minute weight workout tape (Denise Austins-Totally Firm). I know she can be a little "too peppy" sometimes; but the setting is at the beach (can't beat that!) and she is really very encouraging in this one. I like the Firm tapes but I have weak knees and sometimes it's just too much for me. That's when I turn to Denise's tape. It's a great workout with less stress on my knees. Anyhow, after doing that tape--I decide to get on the treadmill and do 30 minutes while watching Friday's episode of Dr. Phil. A very emotional show; I might add. Just as I was getting ready to rewind the tape--a preview came on for Monday's show. It's "Get Straight with your Weight"---so be sure not to miss it! My VCR is set already, just in case!!!!

I've had my protein shake for breakfast and am fixing to have a salad with chicken for lunch. It's later that I usually eat my 2nd meal but hubby won't be home until 6 tonite and I promised him a traditional ham & mashed potatoes dinner!!! I'm also going to make a fresh spinach salad to go with it; so I can go easy on the potatoes! I also have a pumpkin pie in the freezer I'm thinking of pulling out......not one of my favorites so I guess I can dodge that bullet!!!LOL!

We went grocery shopping this morning and I stocked up on lots of healthy stuff. My kids had to have Friendly's brand of icecream; and they had it BOGO free. So we got a half gallon of mint choc. chip (one of my favs) and a gallon of ice cookies and cream (actually called ice cream sandwich, I think)! But, I think I can handle it--now that I'm counting calories and such; I can always fit a small treat in as long as it's occasionally and it fits within my budget, right??? Afterall, achieving our goals doesn't mean we have to be miserable until we get there right?

Wow, I've rambled right along; haven't I??? Well, my tummy is growling, so I had better get to that lunch! I wish everyone the best of luck on this challenge; I know we all can do it!!!!

Jen

Old 05-31-2003, 10:36 AM   #4

libby HB User
Jen, Thank you so much for your response. In am not sure of all the ends and outs of this site, so I am doing it all right. It seems abit cumbersome to get here, but if everyone is half as kind and friendly as you are, it will be worth it.

I would like to loose about 30 or 40 pounds. It seems like I get to a point and it just won't move. I am 50 years old, and I REALLY want to get this off!

Sometimes I just need to talk about it...know what I mean? I am new where I live, and don't know anyone yet. That doesn't help much...laughing.

Looking forward to getting to know many of you.
Libby

Old 05-31-2003, 11:08 AM   #5

Mtn.mama HB User
Hi Everyone! Hope everyone did well on the memorial day challenge! I lost 10 pounds! I'm really proud of me, I really didn't set any sorta goal, I reckon I would have been happy if i'd of only lost 2 pounds.but 10 really amazed me, now i know there is absolutly no excuse for the rest of this weight being on my body only me!!!! i am right now at 168 and i'd like to lose ALOT more, no set goals (that way there won't be any disapointment) if i lose another 10 pounds fine or if i lose 40 great. i liked the idea of small goals like 5 pounds every 2 weeks. then there would be lots of happy days. so good luck to all of you guys! ************please tell AP to get back soon cause she is going to be super missed******* i will definitly agree with jen on the bond here, it is a real good thing to have. and its also really neat to have friends stretched across the map, even if we have never seen each other before.....Mtn.

Old 05-31-2003, 01:08 PM   #6

PeppaAnne13 HB User
Hey ya'll
I'm so happy you've all started this challenge. I'm offically starting myself tomorrow. Today I worked out a little bit, did the gazelle thing over a friends house, i burned about 150 calories, so it says. I'm also going to do my Darrin's Dance tape this afternoon sometime. I'm not setting a definite goal for myself because I like so many of you don't want to be upset if I dont reach my goal. I will be happy just to get a little more work out in my day and just get a little bit healthier. Hope you all have a good day.

Peppa

Old 05-31-2003, 07:29 PM   #7
(female)

monarch HB User
Well, after totally screwing up the Memorial Day challenge - I wasn't sure I wanted to say I'd do the summer one, but, I do! Really would like to lose 25 lbs. by the end of summer and surely if I will get my act together and be serious (no more grads. or parties that I know of to do!) I can do this!

Deb

Old 06-01-2003, 07:23 AM   #8

PeppaAnne13 HB User
Hello all,
Good morning! Today is the start of Summer Weight Loss Challenge. Ready to kick butt? I plan on doing my excercise routine today as well as banning the sweets. May you all have a great first day! Just a little side note, I recently taped a picture of Britney Spears to my bedroom mirror, to encourage me to excercise and eat healither. Not that I wanna be a stick like Britney but its encouraging all the same

Peppa

Old 06-01-2003, 08:59 AM   #9

Mtn.mama HB User
YES I AM READY TO KICK BUTT!!! momarch... don't feel bad about the mem.day challenge, i didn't do as well as i hoped but i guess 10 pounds ain't that bad, i just know i could've done ALOT better if i would have tried... anyways this is the one, we can do this, if you screw up post it and we will support you, i know i will probably screw up heck i did last night..i ate french fries and the worst part i ate them at about 9:30PM. i feel so crappy about it too. i should have taken my own advice and got on here and read,read,read! all well, good luck to us!!...Mtn.

Old 06-01-2003, 09:05 AM   #10
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
Hi guys; just checking in to see how everyone is doing today! It is rainy and VERY windy here in Pa--so we're stuck inside--yuck! Oh well, what can we do about Mother Nature!

For the past 2 days I've planned my menu and stuck with it; with an exception. My hubby called from work yesterday and wanted to meet me somewhere afterward so we could take the kids to see "Finding Nemo". So, that meant we were going out to eat first. On my way--I came upon (or rather it came right behind me) a serious auto accident. When I got out to see if anyone was hurt- the guy in the pickup (which flipped several times) was someone I knew. Imagine the horror. Anyhow, until I got to him, he was out of the truck and walking around. Though he was scraped pretty badly and shook up; he appeared to be alright but was complaining of back pain. Well, being in Nursing, I knew that he shouldn't be moving around at all and I made him lie down until the ambulance got there. I called his dad & brother and waited until they showed up. Turns out he was admitted to the hospital with a broken nose & a broken back! He is one lucky guy that he was even able to get out of that truck. Anyhow, it was pouring down rain when all this happened and I had to come back home to change before meeting my hubby. We than went to Chik Fil-A and at that point I wasn't very hungry! I just ordered a charbroiled chicken sandwich. Then, we get to the movie theater (45 mins. early; I might add) to find out that the show was sold out!!!! We picked a mighty fine night for the movies---and so did everyone else. So, we went to Target & thought we'd buy the new Harry Potter movie on VHS---they didn't have it. They did have it in DVD so my hubby said--let's just buy a DVD player. We had planned on getting one anyway. So, we get home again; he hooks it up; then we find out that we need a special cable--the one we don't have!!! WE even tried to look at the hookups at the store to determine if we needed anything else and thought we didn't! So, we were all a little bummed out last night! Sorry for the long story--but this really is a realization for me. The old Jen would have turned to food after all that stress----but I didn't! I was so proud of myself!!!

I had previously decided that Sun would be my day off from exercise--since we are usually doing something as a family every Sun. in the summer.That something usually involves some type of exercise--hiking, volleyball, etc. But since today is so rainy and I really didn't have the energy for a full workout (I didn't sleep well last night) I just did 20 minutes on the treadmill. I'm going to make a salad shortly for lunch and then I'll make ham & mashed potatoes for dinner. I'm not taking any chances today--I'm staying HOME!!!!LOL

Well, I hope everyone else has gotten their summer challenge weekend off to a great start. Although we haven't seem much summer weather yet--I am looking forward to swimmimg in our pool. Which right now reminds me of the ocean---the 50 mph gusts are creating some great waves!!!LOL

I'll check in tomorrow--have a great day!!

Jen

Old 06-01-2003, 09:18 AM   #11

PeppaAnne13 HB User
Hey everybody, sounds like we're all off to a good start! It's raining like cats and dogs here today so I'm staying inside as well but doesnt mean I cant excercise. I had a late breakfast about an hour ago. Little less than two cups rasin bran, 2% milk, cut up half a bananna and two large strawberries. Very filling. Talk to you all soon!

Peppa

[This message has been edited by PeppaAnne13 (edited 06-01-2003).]

Old 06-01-2003, 11:40 AM   #12

MeggyGrl HB User
aww, she had to go away? well, your right, we can still do it. My goal for this challenge is to go from 168lbs to 140 so around 25-30 lbs to lose! I hope I can do it. What I really want to be is 125lbs, but it takes time. Good luck to everyone else!

Old 06-01-2003, 05:12 PM   #13

gretsky HB User
Hey!! Well, I'm glad this challenge is starting. Right now I'm at 154 and I am shooting to lose 12-15 pounds by the end of the summer. That's just over one pound a week, so I think that will be a nice gradual way to go. Good luck everyone--

--gretsky

Old 06-01-2003, 05:38 PM   #14

PeppaAnne13 HB User
Hello all, how'd we do for day 1 of this lovely challenge? Pretty well? I myself had a small slip up tonight but other than that it's been a productive day. I'm sure AP sends her love and encouragement.
Get ready for another kick butt day tomorrow,
Peppa

Old 06-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #15

World's Finest HB User
I did great today in terms of eating healthy. But I'm unhappy to report that I'm so demotivated in terms of exercise. Help!!! How does everyone get over this laziness issue. Hope everyone did great though.

[This message has been edited by World's Finest (edited 06-01-2003).]

Closed Thread