It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
Post summer weight loss challenge 3!

This is the summer wt loss challenge from 6-1- 8-31. all are welcome to join@any time!

Old 06-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #2

theoldhouse HB User
Met challenge goals today:

Consumed one gallon of water.
Walked 3 1/2 miles at the track.
Food intake was moderate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 07:15 PM   #3

MeggyGrl HB User
Andrea! Nice to see you back! I am really excited about this challenge! My starting weight is 165lbs. My goal is to go down to at least 140 or 145. My ultimate goal is 125lbs, but its easeir if I start out small! . I am joining the gym next week! I got all summer and its time to get my rear in gear. Good luck to everyone else!

Old 06-02-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
Inactive

Melisseee HB User
Hey guys....

*sigh* I'm getting so bad at this! After having such a good summer with losing weight last summer and losing so much weight, I just went all downhill since Christmas and I just haven't been able to get back on track. I was doing Atkins for the last month and was doing really well. I didn't get any exercising in really, but I had lost weight. During this last week, I cheated beyond belief and gained back all the weight I had lost in the previous month.

I am so sick of this! This really has to be it! I don't know how many times I've said that since Christmas, but I mean it this time! I need to lose this weight in the next year before I get married. I have 90 pounds to lose......and I need to get serious right now or else it will be next June, a month before I get married and I'll still have all this weight to lose. I'm not gonna do this!

Sorry......I just had to let that off my chest. This is it for me! I AM GOING TO DO IT! My goal for this challenge is going to be atleast 30 pounds. I'm hoping for 40, but I'll be happy with 30.

Melissa

Old 06-03-2003, 04:46 AM   #5

theoldhouse HB User
Melissa - PLEASE exercise this time when you diet. That is going to be the only successful way you are ever going to keep the weight off long-term. I know exercise for the most of us isn't much fun, BUT I feel you are wasting your time dieting and losing weight if you don't incorporate exercise.

Best of luck!

Old 06-03-2003, 05:29 AM   #6

itsmyturn HB User
Hello all! I just got my head in order today. After bombing on Mayo, I got a little discouraged. I just read the summer challenge history and the very last post I read before replying was by the old house regarding exercise. That is the element I am missing and the bad thing is I have a gym in my house. Taebo tapes, etc.

My 13 year old son lost a whole person and it has changed his life dramatically. He did it with the workout equipment and basketball. I think I will start looking at him as my motivation.

The surprising thing is that I helped my son. First, I managed to get him unaddicted to the Computer and Playstation 2. I literally had to put him out the house and told him to play outside on his own basketball goal that the neighborhood kids had claimed.

He also followed two suggestions I made to him regarding food (as if). I told him to drink more water, and right when he is ready to eat... eat half.
He took the words religiously and that is how he eats. Now, I feel like a backsliding preacher "Do as I say do and not as I do!" Lately, he's been asking me to exercise with him. I'll have to take him up on it today. I can play a mean game of basketball.

Anyway, my son has met new friends and the girls are calling on the telephone. The latter I think is his current motivation.

Typing this morning has given me new motivation... THE CHALLENGE HAS BEGUN!!!!!!

------------------
--myturn--

[This message has been edited by itsmyturn (edited 06-03-2003).]

Old 06-03-2003, 05:56 AM   #7
Veteran

southern_mom33 HB User
Good Morning All

DP I hope you have a spare room I may just need it if we keep getting more rain here...lol
Welcome back girl...

Well they have chenged the rain from 7 days to now only rain on saturday...Its still raining here.Grrr weather men..

Well I have alot to do today and all I want to do is climb back in bed with the window opened a little and sleep,I sleep good when it rains.
But I cant do that I have to go pay bills and do some shopping my boys need new summer clothes.And I am going to paint my little ones room.I thought it was going to rain all week and I knew I wouldnt be able to get out and walk so I planned that.I will check back later...Have a good day
Dee

Old 06-03-2003, 05:57 AM   #8
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
Melissa: dont feel bad hon-I've been in your shoes! That's one thing I found with Atkins- it's so easy to gain the weight back again if you resume eating high carbs following the Atkins WOE. That's why I decided to give counting calories, carbs, fat, and protein a second chance. Plus, I just couldn't seem to lose any significant amount with Atkins. Regardless of the eating plan you chose; please don't give up! You are worth more than that. Don't just think of being fit for your wedding; think of becoming a healthier person.

Has anyone ever eaten anything "just because you're tired of looking at it"??? Well, yesterday I stayed within my limits and when I got home from graduation; the pumpkin pie was just staring at me from the fridge. I wasn't even really hungry but for some strange reason thought I had to have a piece. This is at 9:30 at night, mind you! So, I ate a rather big slice with some whipped cream on top! What possessed my; I don't know. But I'm not getting too upset over it; I remember a time when a slice of pumpkin pie would just be the beginning to an all out bingefest! And I have been doing well for the past 4 days since I started. I'll just be extra careful of what I eat today (no treats--even if they are within my limits) and be sure not to skip exercise!!! Life is full of obstacles and this is an easy one to overcome!

I also started keeping a half gallon jug of water in the fridge. I have a 24 oz. tupperware cup that I usually put my water in; but I add so much ice to it that it's hard to keep track of what I'm really drinking. So, I figured if I pour my water from the jug instead of the water button on our fridge--I can easily tell what I've consumed. My goal is for 64 oz. but more is better!!!

I hope everyone is in good spirits today. They are calling for heavy rain again today---maybe it will be our first summer in a long time without a drought!!! I haven't even gotten my garden planted yet; my hubby seems to think we should just forgo it this summer. But, I love working in my garden and since I'll be starting school in the fall--next summer I may not have time for a garden. We'll see--maybe we'll get some hot days so the ground can dry out!

Well, hate to rush but things to do! I'll check in later--hopefully by then I'll have exercised! I have the baby today so it's usually touch & go when he's here! I taped yesterdays episode of Dr. Phil (Getting Straight with your Weight) and plan on watching that while I hit the tready!!! Good day to everyone!!

Jen

Old 06-03-2003, 06:02 AM   #9
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Good morning! Hope you're all doing well. And I hope you don't mind if I vent a bit. I'm already having a not-so-great day. Haven't cheated on my diet, but I just have this feeling it's gonna happen today. I'm in a crappy mood, my "little friend from Ireland" is visiting this week, I'm starting to stress over preparations for this big party at our house this weekend... and to top it off, we're having this huge employee fair at work today (mandatory attendance) where there will be tons of popcorn, ice cream, peanuts, candy bars, soda, and who knows what else. I'm either going to have a heck of a time staying away from the stuff, or I'm going to give in. This is NOT going to be an easy day - wish me luck!

Kelligirl - good luck with the procedure next week! Positive thoughts coming your way!

AP - glad to hear the pt went well! WTG! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Melissa - You can do this! Theoldhouse is right, you need to add some exercise. You'd be amazed at how much easier the weight loss is, even if you just start doing some walking a few days each week! Add a cardio video or some strength training, and the pounds will just drop from you if you stick to it. YOU CAN DO IT, GIRL!!!

Itsmyturn - congrats to your son on losing a person... wow! What great motivation, right before your eyes. Have fun with the basketball!

Have a great day, everyone!

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Old 06-03-2003, 08:43 AM   #10

Mtn.mama HB User
good rainy day! sounds kinda down on the board today, just blame it on the rain, not the best day for me either! i have been taking zantrex for 5 days now and i guess i was expecting too much out of them, i have also had what i think was a virus and spent alot of time on the potty! so i've been drained!... no energy!!!i have only lost 1 pound since the 1st, but hey, its better than none, huh? we need someone to pop up on here to cheer us all up!!! houdini))) have you ever watched the movie"the waterboy" ? try his strategy...visualize those candybars and bad things at the work thing as "talking foods" and they are telling you how many pounds they can give you...LOL i must be bored huh? well you guys have a nice rainy day. Mtn.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I had to respond because I got a chuckle out of you, jennielynn when you asked if anyone has ever eaten stuff just because you're sick of looking at it. Well, yes, I have. In fact today I took a drastic measure. Last night my husband needed to stop at the drug store on his way home. So he called up to ask me what kind of snack I wanted. I told him a snickers bar. Heck, only 200some calories and I've hit goal. So he comes home with a huge WHOLE BAG of them bite size snickers. OK, I can't have them in the house. Just a few minutes ago I took the bag and threw them as far as I could into the cornfield. HAHA!

Houdini, you know what I do when I go to them parties where everyone is eating goodies? I watch what the fat people eat.... I even do that at the grocery store. I watch what fat people put in their cart. It sure helps keep you from eating all that stuff when you see someone else pigging out. I make it like a game in my head of just how good I can be compared to all the people around me. It'll make you proud of yourself. Eat just one small thing (heck it won't kill ya) and keep a mental eye on the other people.

Good luck girls.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #12
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
Well, I am still at 135. AF came today, so maybe I will loose a little as PMS wears off.

I went out to lunch AND dinner last night, but I was good- salad for lunch and fish w/rice for dinner.

I went to an aerobics class last night- we used 2 benches!! It was wild!

I also want to share this really cool game for Playstation 2. It's called DDRMax and you buy these things called "Beat Pads" (I think). You do aerobics-type dance moves on the Pads to play the games. It's great for coordination! It has a "workout mode" that tracks your time, calories burned, etc.

It's really neat!! I have found, though, that it makes my ankles sore because you can't wear shoes and therefore have no support.

Hope this made sense- this has already been a hard day!!! I am holding a day-long meeting and had to take a break for lunch.

Have a great day!!

Old 06-03-2003, 10:11 AM   #13
Inactive

Melisseee HB User
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm feeling pretty good about this diet still. It's only day 3, but hey.....I'll take what I can get. I worked all day yesterday on my feet walking around, then went for a half an hour walk with my dad last night. I also drank 2 litres of water yay me. Anyway, I have to get going, but thanks.....I'll check in later

Old 06-03-2003, 10:48 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

yellowroselisa HB User
Hi everyone, just wanted to check in with all of you and say HI! Hope everyone is having a great day.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Having a lousy day here. Started off really good too. Last night before going to bed, I stood in the mirror and was pleased with what I saw. The stomach was almost flat, the love handles hard to see, and my waist was down to 30 inches. Today I woke up and biked for 1 hour. It caused me to be late for work, but I was proud that I managed 1 hour at 18 mph. Then I got to work and got swamped with stuff to do. There's so much on my plate that I'm feeling the need to snack. And I've already had 2 candy bars. It may not seem like much, but it is to me cause I was doing so well. I know it's work that's causing me to eat, but the way things are going, work is going to continue piling up for the next few weeks and I can't keep snacking like I did today.

Closed Thread