It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Post Help me cure my addiction to chocolate

I was doing so good until today. There is just too much junk food in my office. Candy, cookies, and cake are within reach and I'm having the hardest time ignoring it. I already had a candy bar with 340 calories and I'm very close to getting another. Please help. I'm drinking water constantly but it's not helping. It also doesn't help that there's candy next to the water cooler. I need to break this craving before it gets out of hand cause I know it will ruin my progress. I can't stop at one. Once I start, I keep going. Share any tricks you can think of.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:22 AM   #2

dankjones HB User
Cocoa, splenda and yogurt cheese?

Yogurt cheese is yogurt that has been hung in a cheesecloth untill it has a consistency similar to cream cheese.

Cocoa powder, splenda, and nonfat milk?

...or just cocoa powder, and splenda. Mainline that shiznitz. Do eet like pixie stix!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
Do you keep stuff near you that you CAN have? If not that would be my suggestion! I certainly know what you meant about chocolate! I usually have slim fast snack bars or Kudos bars around. Kudos Chocolate Chip and the Peanut Butter one are really good and you get some chocolate in and they are 130 calories and have may nutrients as well....there are also snickers and m&m versions!
Hang in there!!

Old 06-03-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
Chocolate pudding tubes - throw in a freezer 100 cal each 30 cal from fat- taste like the old jello pudding pops brownie flavor is the better one of the two.

This is stupid but if you place the frozen pudding tube on your top of the scalp -I feel like so happy for some reason I think it (the coldness)- releases serratonin- I have done this twice- maybe Im just a dork and the sillyness of doing it made me feel really happy.

try making chocolate lip gloss with extract and food grade mineral oil.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Donutsncoffee, i know what you mean! Sugar is terrible for you! I usually treat myself to the Russell Stover sugar free candy when I really need a fix... it is really yummy, but don't overdo it. I personally, stay away from the bars and such, simply because they are really loaded with sugar/carbs... but that is just me... there are lots of things out there that are low in sugars that are better for you. Snackwells makes some little cookies as well...use US cocoa as flavoring and make your own snacks... good luck to you !!!!!

Old 06-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I know I should avoid them, but it's so hard. Everywhere in my office is food. It's just sitting there saying "eat me". I get water, there's candy. I go to the fax machine, there's a jar of candy. I go to the kitchen, there's cookies. I go to the bathroom and there's another jar of candy. People in my office love junk food. And I constantly hear other people eating. It's terrible. I can't take this. I've gotten pretty good at controlling myself when it comes to eating out or getting fast food. But chocolate is the one thing I can't ignore. If I see it, I eat it.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:41 PM   #7
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Donuts, I don't have a lot of advice I can give on this subject, but want to let you know you're not alone. I'm an absolute chocolate fanatic. I've been getting a *little* bit better lately, but it takes time. I swear the stuff is like a drug for me. I'm going to tell you something totally embarassing, but it will help you understand just how bad I am about it.

In case you haven't read this on any of my other posts, I lost nearly 30 pounds about 5 years ago & kept it off (easily) until my father died three years later. I started eating everything in sight (but mostly chocolate & other junk), & did this for several months. Well, it got so bad that on the way to work I'd stop at a gas station & load up on chocolate (candy bars, pop tarts, cookies, anything) for breakfast at my desk & also I'd buy a couple of extra candy bars to snack on before lunch. Then it got worse - I'd buy so much that I'd stop at 2 different stores so no one would know just how much junk I was buying every day. Then I'd go to McDonald's for lunch (Big Mac value meal and a hot fudge sundae), then stop at another store to buy a couple of candy bars to get me through the afternoon. Can you believe it?!! I was so depressed, and didn't even realize it until months later when I finally snapped out of it.

Looking back, I'm actually very, very lucky. Over a period of doing this for about 5 or 6 months, I only gained 20 pounds. That may or may not seem like a lot, but considering the amount I was eating (and I was not exercising at all), I should have gained at least 50 or 60. So yes, I was lucky.

Fortunately I don't do that any more, and have lost 10 of the 20 pounds so far. I tried many times to start losing the weight, but it's finally working this time. I've found that I just have to be in the right frame of mind - mentally ready to diet - or I just can't do it. The one thing that makes this a little easier on me is that I do allow myself to have this stuff sometimes. My diet consists solely of counting calories. Mostly I try to eat healthy foods, but I will admit that I do snack at some point every day (usually small stuff, but sometimes ONE whole candy bar - seems like a lot to me now!). Maybe you could allow yourself a small amount each day, but try to break it up throughout the day? Maybe like one or two Hershey kisses in the AM & one or two more in the PM?

I'm sorry if this isn't much help, but I do want you to know you're not alone! And actually, this has helped me - I've never told that horror story to anyone including my hubby, and it feels good to get it off my chest. Hope you find a way to get through this! We're all pulling for you!

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Old 06-03-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Houdini,

Thank you for sharing that. Chocolate really is like a drug for me. It's not like fast food where if you have it too often, you get sick of it. I could eat chocolate all day long and never get sick of it. That's why I can't moderate it. I'm already in the diet frame of mind and eating healthy. I'm exercising daily and avoiding fast food and I only go out to eat once or twice a week tops. And I'm a big believer in rewarding yourself every now and then. That's what I do when the weekend arrives. But chocolate is the exception. I can't just have it in little pieces once in a while. Once I start, I just keep going. Instead of stopping at one candy bar, I'll have 5 or 6. It's an all-or-nothing problem for me. I don't know what I'm going to do. The only thing I've found is that it's given me more incentive to work out even more. I got home today, got on the treadmill, and just kept running. The only thing that kept me running was thinking of all those calories I ate. But I'd rather run to burn off stored fat, not the food I shouldn't have eaten during the day. Oh well.

Old 06-03-2003, 08:47 PM   #9

Deltalawgirl HB User
I fully understand what you're going through. I too am thoroughly addicted to chocolate. I lose all sense of reason when I eat it and can rarely eat just one of anything. I can eat just "one" when it is one of those huge Cadbury bars or Hershey bars. Is there some kind of twelve step program we chocolate lovers can go to? I know that there are some who may read these posts and laugh, but I truly believe that it is an addiction. I pride myself on not being a drinker, smoker, gambler, etc...but I just can't leave the chocolate alone. I wonder if there is any solution?

Old 06-03-2003, 09:02 PM   #10

microelvis2000 HB User
Reeses cereal tastes like the candy but with so much less sugar and fat. Eat a bit and get it out of your system. As well as chocolate Teddy Grahms, which are addictive I warn...Oreo's cereal, chocolate malto-meal, fat free chocolate pudding (w/ fat free whipped cream), chocolate chip Eggos...great as breakfast but will work as a "cookie" treat/snack. I love them with low calorie/sugar syrup. Though these have 7g fat for 2 waffles, I try to eat these not too often.

Hth! I love chocolate but only eat it in bar form as medicinal pms healers!

Old 06-04-2003, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran

southern_mom33 HB User
What about trying to buy some of the diet bars that are out now.I had a slim fast one day and I am not into all the diet bars and power bars but that hit the spot for me wanting a kitkat.Keep some at your desk.or do like we did at the office we changed out the candy bars for something else,sugar free hard candy,etc.If you have a kitchen try to keep some snacks you know you can have.Others may follow you with this.
Good Luck

Old 06-04-2003, 07:48 AM   #12

hobbitgirl HB User
The Carbolite chocolate bar isn't terrible tasting. It's made with splenda so the carbs are really low.

I've made hot cocoa with soy milk, cocoa and splenda and it was YUMMY! The carb to protien ratio was near perfect and not much fat at all.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:58 AM   #13
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Carbolite is YUMMY! Most of the chocolate i have now is virtually sugar free (Atkins makes some yummy bars too!!!), if you have a low carb store, look around and you will find all kinds of sugar free chocolate... which is still not good to overeat, but it is better than the full sugar/chocolate bars... GNC also carries alot of the sugar free and low sugar chocolate bars... including carbolite (you can even get them at wally world )

Closed Thread