It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #1

arhazeleyes HB User
Question Slow weight loss??

It's me again!!
My previous topics haven't been getting many responses, so I thought I would try another one.

I have lost approx 13 lbs since April 27th.......YEAH!! Is that good? I started out at 227, and am now at 214....so I have approx 64 lbs to go (I'd like to get down to 150). I have heard and read that slow and steady is the best way to go.....and that you should shoot for around 2 lbs/wk.

I've also heard that the more you have to lose, the faster you lose it in the beginning.....but I'm not seeing that??

As far as diet, I eat very healthy during the week, occassionally splurging on the weekends. I eat more fruits, vegetables, and chicken.......NO fried foods or sweets (and no sodas!). I also am taking the One-A-Day WeightSmart tablets.

I exercise EVERY day.....either the 2 or 3 mile WATP video 4 nights a week, and the Firm the other 3. This week, I started doing the 1 mile WATP in the mornings before work, hoping this will speed up my loss.

My mentality has always been.....eat less, lose weight. But now I realize that I may have been putting my body into 'starvation' mode, which isn't helping at all. I have been really trying to get my calories up to and staying around 1200 calories/day.

I work TWO jobs, so I don't have time for Weight Watchers' meetings or time to go to a gym. I was going to try Slim-Fast, but the shakes are giving me really bad headaches.

Any suggestions out there as to what else I can do??

------------------
I'm TOO blessed to be stressed!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
13 lbs is great!!! You are right on target!! Make sure you are drinking AT LEAST 64 oz of water a day... that really helps more than you can imagine. Also, you may want to squeeze some lemon in there as it acts as a natural diuretic. Try to eat your carbs early (bfast being your higher carbs and gradually reduce through the day) with no significant carbs after 4pm... this really helps too. Make sure you are eating healthy carbs (watch the fruit and veggies and stick with the lower carb/less starchy ones) Watch your fat intake as well... I would personally stay away from high carb shakes like slim fast... try to eat real, fresh foods as much as possible... break your meals into 5-7 small meals per day, this will help your metabolism. Keep up the great work, good luck!

Old 06-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #3

arhazeleyes HB User
Thanks! My mom says that she can already tell a difference, especially in my face. She also says that she sees a 'spark' in me that has never been there before.
I am CONSTANTLY drinking water.....and I always try to get in AT LEAST 64 oz. Is it best to exercise in the morning or at night?? How do I know what are 'healthy' carbs? And what foods have them? I'm also NOT hungry, so I find myself having to MAKE myself eat....is that normal??

------------------

Old 06-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
It is amazing what big differences the small changes make! Good for you!!! Keep drinking the water, it really helps. Healthy carbs... green veggies (stay away from the starchy ones like green peas and lima beans), try to avoid corn and your really starchy veggies, avoid white potatoes and white pastas (try brown and whole wheat rice and pastas, but I would try them earlier in the day)... no white bread (stick with whole wheat, make sure it is WHOLE wheat, many companies are being sneaky here)... try to eat fresh items (many frozen and prepackaged foods are loaded with carbs and sodium...) You may have to force yourself to eat, sometimes I do... make sure you are taking your vitamins and drinking your water... eat what you can, but try to watch what you eat... sounds like you are doing great!!!

Old 06-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #5

arhazeleyes HB User
Thanks!!
NO corn?? Man, that's a hard one.....seeing as how I LOVE corn (especially the frozen, whole kernel kind)! I mostly eat apples, bananas, canteloupe, strawberries, green beans, corn, and broccoli. I'll try to start eating WHEAT bread, too.
My goal is to be under 200 (199??) on July 4th!! I just KNOW I can do it too!

------------------

Old 06-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Think about this... what do farmers use to fatten things up???? CORN!!!!!! Corn is so yummy but the WORST for you!!! I eat it as a treat, but rarely... I love corn, but after reading so many horrible studies, I gave it up I love bananas too, but they are really not good for you, in other than small doses... you can get the potassium elsewhere. I LOVE steamed brocolli and grilled chicken, one of my favorite meals... and asparagus I eat almost no breads or pastas anymore... it really helps. I try to have a little carbs/protein/fat with each meal. I do alot of food combining (suzanne somers has many books on this... the french do it, and they all seem so healthy ) Good luck and please keep us posted! YOu can do it! I am going on a cruise 7/3 and I am hoping to take off about 10 lbs... yikes! Wish me luck!!

[This message has been edited by GoinCruisin (edited 06-03-2003).]

Old 06-03-2003, 02:10 PM   #7

arhazeleyes HB User
WHAT?? No, I didn't know that......and I also love broccoli and grilled chicken. I currently make a Chicken Broccoli Rice dish that is so yummy! I take a package of chicken breasts (with the bone since boneless is so HIGH) and cut the meat off, slicing it into small pieces. Then I brown the meat. Once that's done, then I add the chicken broccoli rice mix, plus a lot of broccoli and water. It makes a lot and I eat off of it 3-4 days. Even my mom likes it....and that's saying a lot!! I snack on apple slices, low fat graham crackers, peanut butter crackers (my weakness) and popcorn cakes.
A cruise? WOW!! I'm too envious!! I KNOW you'll lose AT LEAST 10.....maybe more!!

------------------

Old 06-03-2003, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Just one suggestion, sounds like you are like me... a carb fanatic, but really trying to be good... Each of your "snacks" is pretty high in carb count, which would hold you back some... Try your yummy chicken/brocolli dish, but leave out the rice, I bet you will find it just as yummy! Or, add brown or mushroom rice, or wild rice (with no white rice added)...the graham crackers, though low in fat, are high in sugars and carbs, same with the peanut butter crackers and popcorn... I know, it sucks... I have learned to see all of those things as "splurges" though... I try not to snack (although my new indulgence are the Snackwells sugar free oatmeal cookies... holy moly, they are yummy!!!!!)... the apples are a good snack, so are grapes (very yummy frozen!!!). I keep grilled chicken and chopped veggies around too (you can cut up a bunch of brocolli and dip it in a reduced fat ranch for a special treat!!!!) Just try to watch your carbs, especially the bad ones... I bet you will reach your goal in no time!!! Good luck!

Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 PM   #9
Inactive

u2girl HB User
Hi,

I looked over your discussion and how you are eating now is how I have been eating for the past 5 months. I don't know how tall you are, but I started out around your weight and since mid-january, I have lost 30 lbs. I have not been good for several weeks, so my weight loss has halted, but I am trying to get back on track. I also have a goal of reaching 150.

First of all, Goincruisin, I am not opposing what you are saying because different things work for different people. But I wanted to let you know that you can lose weight eating low-fat and exercising. That is what I did. HOWEVER, I have been doing some research lately and I am seeing that the higher protein and lower carb is going to get you better and possibly faster results. I am in the process of changing over to this and hoping that it works. I am going out of town mid-july (about 6 weeks) and I would really like to drop 10-12 lbs by then.

We will see. Anyways, keep it up. You are doing really well. 13 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. You have obviously worked really hard to attain that. Most never get to that. They start and quit so many times, they never get to 5 lbs. You have more than doubled that. Great job! Keep up the good work!!!

U2girl

Old 06-04-2003, 08:33 AM   #10

arhazeleyes HB User
Thanks U2girl!
To answer your question, I am around 5'5/5'6 and 30 yrs old.
Question: exactly what kind of foods do you mean when you say "high protein/low carb"? Is this a eating style that I can keep up even AFTER I've lost the weight (AND I WILL LOSE IT!!)?? It's not Atkins, is it?
My family will probably have a little get-together for the Fourth of July, and I can't wait for them to see the beginning of the NEW me! I want SO bad to be able to tell them that I've lost 25+ lbs (only 12 lbs more to make that goal, and 4 1/2 weeks to do it)!!

------------------

Old 06-04-2003, 08:40 AM   #11
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I do high protein/low carb/low fat... I eat ALOT of chicken/turkey/lean beef/fish... tons of veggies and salads... very little pasta/rice/bread. No sodas or sugar drinks, no coffee. Snacks... SF Jello, turkey jerky, fruit, lf string cheese, some manufactured low carb snacks... also lots of leftovers. LOTS AND LOTS of water. I treat myself to a diet mtn dew every so often as well. I also love the snackwell oatmeal cookies that are sugar free... but only in moderation as they are still starchy and not that good for you, but they are better than regular cookies!!! I usually get 2 workouts in 4-5 days per week... if I have a really good workout day, those are the days I treat myself. I try to do cardio in the am and weights in the afternoon.. this way I am burning through the day and night... good luck, you will be to your goal in no time!

Old 06-04-2003, 09:12 AM   #12

italianmofo HB User
Eat your fruits in the morning and early afternoon. No fruits for dinner, only eat veggies. It's not only what you eat, it's also what time of the day you eat it.

Closed Thread