It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 10:26 PM   #1

speshol HB User
Post calorie counters, how do u keep track of calories

HI,
I've decided to do the tried and true calorie counting method to shed weight.
Just wondering how everyone keeps tracks of their calories, whether online, pen and paper journals or a electronic device?
I myself like keeping track online with calorie king, I don't have to worry about looking up calories, fat grams, etc. in a book. It's great.
Some free calorie counting sites I know of are:
******.com
[edited to remove sites]
Any others? How have you been successful counting calories?
Speshol

[Note from Mod2: Moderator1 has approved ******.com
to be posted on this board. Any other website requires
moderator pre-approval. Commercial websites and websites
with message boards cannot be approved. Members may post
information-only .edu and .gov websites without approval.]
Please read and follow the board guidelines to ensure
uninterrupted posting privileges on these message boards.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 06-05-2003).]

Old 06-05-2003, 02:38 AM   #2
Inactive

u2girl HB User
Hi,

I can personally vouch for ******.com. I absolutely love that site. I love that it graphs out and tells you the actual percentage of the grams of carbs, proteins and fat that you eat daily. Whenever I use ****** honestly and consistently, that is when I have noticed the best weightloss. I guess because I am paying very strict watch to what I am eating. When I slacked off using it and eating fast food too often, my weight loss ended.

I always hear that journaling is really good. However, I also read that you should plan out your meals in advance. Write it out on an index card and as you eat according to the list, check it off. If you eat something not on the list write it on the index card. This way, you know exactly what you should be eating and if planned properly if you add anything to it, you are more than likely going over your calorie/nutritional needs.

Yeah, journaling is definitely something that you want to do. For awhile, I got a little lax with it, because I ate the same meals so often, however, when I did stop, so did my weight loss.

U2girl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
For years I tracked mine on ******, however, recently i just pretty much "know"... I rarely eat more than 1200 cals per day, but since I have done that for years, i don't really have to track it... but it is all thanks to sites such as you listed... they really helped to put me on the right track!!!

Old 06-05-2003, 05:34 AM   #4
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
I've kept a journal for a long time now--actually it's this big pink binder. I have a calorie counting graph on my Microsoft word program and just print a sheet out for each day of the month. Then, I have a calorie counting book---by calorieking; I might add--so I can keep track of everything. Keeping track online is a great idea; but I don't like the hassle of having to log on everytime I eat something! So, it's more convenient for me to record it on paper; then, when I get a chance I can log on and input my data. Whatever the method; journaling is a very important step in not just weightloss; but even for maintaining your goal weight. If you are being honest with yourself when recording in it; it gives you great insight into what you are eating and you're eating habits. You can also tell what food groups you need more of. It really helps to keep me in line. I didn't realize the AMOUNT of food I was putting into my body until I started WRITING IT DOWN!!! Be sure to record your weight, measurements, water intake and exercise also. I don't go as far as recording where I was or how I felt while I was eating. I already know what leads me to overeating (mostly stress or boredom) so there's no need to identify it on paper. I think everyone should keep a journal; in the beginning it may seem time consuming but I'm sure in the end you'll find it well worth the time!!!

Jen

Old 06-05-2003, 05:49 AM   #5
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by jennielynn:
... Whatever the method; journaling is a very important step in not just weightloss; but even for maintaining your goal weight. If you are being honest with yourself when recording in it; it gives you great insight into what you are eating and you're eating habits. You can also tell what food groups you need more of. It really helps to keep me in line. I didn't realize the AMOUNT of food I was putting into my body until I started WRITING IT DOWN!!!...
Jen, you're so right! I never lost any significant amount of weight without journaling. I used to use a pocket calendar to write down all my foods, but sometimes I'd lose it or leave it at home when I went to work... so now I use ****** and love it. Journaling really does help to keep you in line.

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Old 06-05-2003, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I keep a spreadsheet that lists the calories, carbs, protein, fiber, and sugar of everything I eat. All of my meals for the day are planned out ahead of time so that when I wake up, I know exactly what I'll be eating and when. I eat basically the same things everyday. There's some variety in terms of what fruits or what meats I'll eat which keeps me from getting bored. Plus I go out to eat Friday or Saturday night. That's the only time I don't count calories, but I just assume that the meal I ate probably had at least 1500 calories.

Closed Thread