It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

rudymom HB User
Post How to get past the first few days of low-carb?

I know everyone says these are the hardest days. I can never make it. I always break down and eats something I should not. Sigh ... most of my friends who are successfulk say that it took a few days to get through it. I really only need to lost about 5 to 7lbs and I know this works fast and then you change eating habits. I have basically eliminated pasta and rice. Working on bread. Have a real hard time with sweets. Help ... TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
You could try eating sweet things that don't have refined sugar (like fruit). I don't know if fruit is allowed on Atkins (if that's what you're on), but it really worked for me!

Also, you might try to ease into giving up the sweets- cut out one "sweetie" per day until you have cut them all out- that might work.

Hope this helps. I hated giving up pasta and rice, too. Every now and then it's okay, though.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you only have 5-7 pounds to loose, you are in good shape.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
It is tough, but you can do it... you have to break your carb addiction... if you don't think it is a lifestyle you can live with you may want to find something else... if you only have 5-7 lbs to lose and do radical low carb and go back to eating a low fat moderate carb diet, you will gain it back quickly... I don't like radical low carb for that very reason... they don't allow important things like fruit, milk, etc... I find it easier to follow a lower fat/moderate carb plan. The pastas I eat are whole wheat (no semolina) or brown rice pasta, I don't really eat bread, but if I do it is whole wheat no sugar... no potatoes, etc. but I allow myself fruit, skim milk and all veggies (except corn), I find this so much easier to follow!!!! Try to find a plan you can stick with, you will find it much easier to follow and won't have such tough days

Old 06-05-2003, 12:49 PM   #4

libby HB User
Rudymom...I hear you. The first few days of no or low carb were very difficult for me as well. I did a couple of things that took the edge off for me. One is that I drank alot of Crystal Light. The trick on that for me was to make it a little stronger. It tended to satisfy my craving somewhat.

The other thing I did....this will sound strange...but I would crush some macadamia nuts (serving size as listed on the jar) and add some no carb sour cream to the nuts. Then I added a little bit of almond flavoring. Became a treat for me in the evening. This is very high in fat, but very low in carbs. Atkins says if you eat fat and not carbs you won't get hungry. TRUE...it works!

I couldn't eat fruit because Atkins limits the kind of fruit. (most fruit is high in carbs)

Another little diddy is Sugar Free Jello. I think I eat an entire package everyday! (grins)

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I've gone off and on a couple of times, and what always helps me through the beginning is diet soda. I don't drink much of it otherwise, but that sweetness in the afternoon gets me through.

Hang in there!

Closed Thread