It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2003, 05:36 PM   #1

Ladybug12473 HB User
Question Medications and Weight Loss

I am having a really hard time losing weight. I have tried everything and nothing work. Could it be the medications I take? I can't see how though. Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated.
I am at the end of my rope. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gifPlease help.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:58 AM   #2

JKR HB User
Iíve been using Paxil for +3 years and have gained +70 lbs during this time. I once found a web site that explains when you start you might experience a weight loss in the first 6 months but than your body metabolism will start to change to help with the assimilation of the drug. It sound right to my particular weight gain and wonder if it could be true with some other medications.

When I talked to my doctor he said ďThatís why they call it Pack It On PaxilĒ. He changed my script about 1 month ago and Iíve started to show some results. If you are using an SSRI you may have the same results with other brand names as they are almost exactly the same. Talk with you doctor to see if others are having similar problems and find out what options you have available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2003, 11:00 PM   #3
Inactive

Healingmylife HB User
I too gained a lot of weight on Paxil. I switched to Zoloft. (which is not as good as the paxil for anixety and panic diorder.) But, I did lose a few pounds. I think those of us on SSRI's just have to work harder.
As if we don't have enough "issues" to deal with already!
Healy

Old 06-08-2003, 05:26 AM   #4

web4mel HB User
There are many drugs that can cause weight gain-not just anti-depressants.

I had massive fibroid tumors at 27 and had to have a hysterectomy/ovarectomy. I was put on hormones for the rest of my life-a heavy sentence at that age-plus I'd always wanted to have a son (I have 2 daughters).

One side effect was weight gain, which began immediately after taking the hormones. I was 115 when I had the operation. I put on 30 pounds the first year and 10 pounds a year after that, until I found another way.

After a few years on Premarin (PREgnant MAre uRINe) I found out the disgusting way it is made-through abusing female horses to get the hormones from their urine. I stopped taking it and went on natural hormones, Estroven, made of soy, cohosh, and yam. I stopped gaining weight immediately and haven't gained since. NOW I am losing.

I am at 156 now-losing about ten pounds a month (I had gotten up to 190 at my peak). But I think most of you know that so I won't reiterate.

Drugs can definitely make you gain weight-I'm living proof.

Closed Thread