It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #1

SWAT911 HB User
Question FIBER QUESTION

I am doing a low fat, low carb diet and I know I probably need more fiber to..."get things moving".

Is Chitosan considered a fiber supplement for this cause? I take two a day before meals, but I don't know if I should be doing something else.

Would carrots help with replacing high fiber intake?

THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Try to get three or more servings of various vegetables, one cup of raw leafy greens or a half-cup of other vegetables as a serving; eat dark-green leafy and deep-yellow vegetables; dry beans and peas also are good sources of fiber. Drink plenty of fluids. Six to eight glasses a day will help reduce the risk of abdominal discomfort and intestinal blockage caused by too much fiber. Get fiber from foods, NOT PILLS. Food sources are more efficient and will supply additional nutrients. Excessive use of fiber supplements can lead to digestive problems and blockages. Also wild rice, wheat bran, nuts, oats, lentils and apples. Substitute high-fiber foods such as whole-grain bread, brown rice, fruits, and vegetables for low-fiber foods such as white bread, white rice, candy, and chips. Eat more vegetables and fruits WITH their skins on. The skins are a good source of fiber. Include 2 servings of vegetables at lunch and dinner, again with skins on when if possible. Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I agree. People need more fiber in their diet, but it should come from real food. Fiber supplements are meant for people who need to address immediate problems and are only meant for the short-term. 2 weeks ago I changed my diet so that it included more fiber from green vegetables, fruit, and whole grains. I definitely feel better and get hungry less often. I start the day off with oatmeal and it's made a huge difference. Dinner always includes some green leafy vegetable. I've even gotten used to eating spinach. But in order for fiber to work, you also need lots of water. Fruits that good are green apples, pears, and guava. Eat the skin on the apples and pears. That's where the fiber is.

Closed Thread