It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2003, 07:14 PM   #1

DoeEyes HB User
Post Has Ephedra been banned?

A friend told me today that Ephedra has been banned and you cannot buy it anywhere anymore. Is this true? It seems that I can only lose weight with diet pills that contain it.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
It depends what state you live in. In Calif. there is a major lawsuit against Xenadrine & EFX -something to do with misleading the public. That ephedra is a stimulant and it effects the nervous system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 10:23 AM   #3

JennyBear HB User
Isn't the EFX, ephedrine free? I thought it was.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Most companies (smart ones that is) are pulling it from the shelves. Way too many lawsuits right now and most companies don't want to risk taking the chances. Way too many health problems and deaths have been attributed to Ephedra/MaHuang... I personally lost alot of weight with it myself, but have a permanent heart condition to live with now... simply not worth it... I'd rather be fat than dead... The quicker they get rid of that stuff, the better... JMHO

Old 06-09-2003, 08:48 AM   #5

paper clip HB User
wow. the media hype really worked. they have nearly everyone afraid of it now. hint: pharmaceutical companies are interested...After all, meridia is based upon very similar mechanism of action.

I know some people do have problems with it. I personally know someone who does not react well with it. I have been helped by it tremendously with my chronic fatigue and it has gotten me through some really tough times. It has also been a godsend with regards to my dieting endeavors. I will be very negatively affected when it is gone. I won't know where to turn. I hope there is no one else like me that relies of ephedra.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #6

heres1-4u HB User
I have to say, I'm not surprised that they are taking it of the shelves. What erks me, tho, is that there are many, many average, everyday people who have had serious complications from taking ephedra, and no one seemed to bat an eye. But let some celebrities, or professional athletes abuse it, and POOF!!! They take it away.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I agree, sad that it takes a celebrity... I took it for almost a year... no problems at all, I was the poster child! Healthiest I had been in my life, then ended up in the ER at age 29, in arrest. Very scary product. When they showed me what toll it really takes on your heart, it scared me... I gained some of the weight back, but also learned not to rely on pills and drugs... I did rely on ephedra, and thankfully I no longer do... I am very thankful that the FDA is finally starting to step up. I will admit, I am constantly in search of something that gives me that energy boost and app suppressing qualities, but I am not willing to risk my life for it.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
The sale was banned somewhere recently . . . but I don't remember where . . . I think some town or county on Long Island, New York.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:36 AM   #9

starlighteyes32 HB User
I know in North Carolina here on the coast they have taken anything containing that off the shelves.. The only place you can get them are the gas stations.. Until i started reading here i myself never realized the effects that it can have on you.. It is a sad thing that someone important has to die or get hurt before the Fda will do anything about something.. Honestly all it should take is the death of one person for there to be a big investagation on something.. GoinCrusin, I am truely sorry for the condition that you have aquired.. But you seem to have a strong will.. I have read many of your posts on different threads.. I wish all the best for you .. This weight loss thing for me is a challenge to.. It is great to see the way all of you support one another, and help through the hard times..And the possitive encouragement is so great.. well i have rambled on enough.. sorry ..

Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Thanks so much! I consider myself one of the lucky ones. After the research I did, I was amazed at how many people have been adversely affected by this drug. I am so mad at myself that I did not do the research before subjecting myself to it. I praised it for so long, but people do not realize the constant strain it puts on your heart. You only get one heart and if you screw it up, well... you know. I wish everyone safety and good health in their weight loss efforts... Good luck!!

Old 06-10-2003, 08:52 AM   #11

socratese_au HB User
Exclamation

Hey Doe,

First off all I would like to say that taking a pill will not make you lose weight, all it really does is break down the fat that you eat once you start taking the pills. The thing with the pills is that they will not burn or break down the fat deposits that you're body has stored in the past, for that to go you will have to start exercising and start eating healthy.

Believe me I been doing dieting for about 6 years, I tried all sorts of stuff including pills and none of them really done anything in the long term. I am 27 years old and I am or was up untill last 137 kg. I been on a diet for a week now and lost believe it or not 7 kg, and all I had to do is eat healthy. The diet is very simple and it works not just for me thousands of australians started the diet last week after it was screened by a Cardiologist on TV and the feedback is amazing.

So dont believe the drugs are the way out, a healthy life style, exercise and motevation are the key. If you want to know more about the Diet that has send Australia nuts and that works e mail me and i send you all the details you need to lose weight and keep it off.

Closed Thread