It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

kymi7 HB User
Post I found something that works!

I think I found out what works for me! I can't diet, I always cheat and I always feel hungry. I started at the gym in January and now it's a habit. Went from a size 14 to a 9 Junior! Hello!! Just by working out and "watching" what I eat. Meaning, no fast food, limited pasta and breads etc. I still eat whatever I want on the weekends! I work out every weekday and usually take the weekends off. With the weather getting better sometimes I run on Saturdays. EVERYONE!!! is complimenting me and asking what is my secret? Don't diet!! and work out! Anyone else think this works?

Old 06-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Well that's better than dieting and not working out. But if you're "watching" what you eat, then you are dieting. You may not be counting calories, but you're restricting what you eat, which means you're on a diet whether you realize it or not. But I agree that if you're going to do one, diet or exercise, better to do exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
It depends on whether you look at the word DIET as a noun or a verb. A DIET as a noun is going to be "grapefruit diet", "slim fast diet", etc. The verb "diet" can refer to your eating regiment... "are you getting enough fiber in your diet?" etc. Most people refer to how they are eating as their "diet"... I don't DIET, but I watch my DIET... gets confusing huh. I agree with you, DIETS are probably why most of this country is overweight... combining a healthy eating regimen with a workout program is the key to long lasting healthy weight loss...

Old 06-09-2003, 11:13 AM   #4

luvPeace HB User
WISH I CUD GET SAME RESULTS AS U ALL...I HAVE BEEN EXCERCISING AND EATING RIGHT...AM HAPPY FOR U ALL...GOODLUCK...

Old 06-09-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

SunKissed HB User
Exactly! I did the same thing lost 45 pounds. Good luck to you too and keep up the good work!

Old 06-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by jmars:
it is NOT "dieting" to "watch" what you eat. Making healthier eating choices is a way of life and a habit, not dieting by any definition.
A diet means you're placing limits on what foods you're allowing yourself to eat. If you're eating healthy, that means you're restricting yourself from junk food. Therefore, if you're choosing to eat healthy, then you're choosing to be on a diet. Why is that so hard to admit? There's nothing shameful in saying that you're on a diet. People act like 'diet' is a dirty word or something to be embarrassed about. There's nothing embarrassing about admitting that you eat healthy and avoid junk food. Anyways, sorry to argue semantics.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
I have done the same thing, except I normally don't eat whatever I want on the weekends. (I did eat dessert and a burger and fries this weekend...).

I have just cut out pasta, white breads, and fast food. I replaced it with veggies and grilled meats. I was eating salads everyday from fast food places, but I think I will quit doing that based on some advice I have gotten. Haven't gained any as a result of this, but haven't lost any more, either.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #8
(male)

V6 Jeep 4x4 HB User
I've heard many people argue on what constitutes being on a diet and it really doesn't matter.

In my experience though, exercising is more important than what I eat. I love to eat but I make sure that I exercise as too not put the weight back on.

I eat better than I did before but I still don't restrict myself from anything and my diet could still use some help. Basically, I eat the same stuff that I always did but just not as much.

As long as I have 2 working legs, I'll be fine.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #9
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
wtg kymi!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2003, 06:29 AM   #10
(female)

kymi7 HB User
jmars- You are correct that is not what my original post was all about, I had no idea it would start a "definition of a diet" discussion.

V6 Jeep 4X4- I agree with you! Eat what you want just make sure you get enough exersize.

AndreaPhilip3- Thanks! I appreciate the support.

Old 06-10-2003, 06:49 AM   #11

annes73 HB User
Could someone explain to me what a 'typical' day would consist of meal wise. I have 4 kids and try to get to the gym 3xs per week. It can be difficult so I find I have to 'watch' what I put in my mouth because if we are having a crazy week....like normal....then I don't always get a chance to burn it off later. I seem to have to be more concerned about what goes in because I may not have the time to take it off!
Any ideas?? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif

------------------
Children are Precious.....Lets keep them Safe!!!
H-5'5" F

Old 06-10-2003, 08:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
annes73,

Well there's no one meal plan that suits everyone. You need to put together your own meal plan based on your needs. But here are some guidelines I follow that have really helped me.

1) I do 1 hour of cardio first thing in the morning. There are so many reasons to do cardio at this time, but the big ones for me are that it's the ideal time for burning fat, it helps wake me up moreso than coffee, and it ensures that I got some exercise in for the day.

2) Eat a small meal every 3 hours. This keeps your metabolism from slowing down and it helps prevent you from getting too hungry, which might cause you to overeat.

3) Make sure your carbs are of the complex kind and high in fiber. These take longer to burn than simple carbs which lowers the chance of gaining fat, unless of course you have too much.

4) Eat more carbs earlier in the day and try to minimize the carbs you have in the evening.

5) Drink plenty of water and don't bother with any other beverage.

Here is the meal plan I'm currently on:

5:00 am - 1 hour of cardio
7:00 am - A bowl of plain oatmeal
10:00 am - Banana and protein shake
1:00 pm - Turkey with lettuce and tomato on whole wheat
4:00 pm - Protein bar
5:30 pm - Weight training (depending on my mood and schedule)
7:00 pm - Fish or chicken with green vegetable

Notice how there are no simple carbs, meals are no more than 3 hours apart, my carb intake starts out high and decreases as the day progresses, there's lots of fiber, and always some exercise.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:47 AM   #13

annes73 HB User
thanks donutsncoffee! I have found that since I am down to the last 20lbs or so that it is very difficult. I also find that I 'slip' way too much now. I think I am being too restrictive....I am just in limbo trying to find something that I can stick to and that will help me lose the last bit of weight. I guess the other thing is that I know that I am healthy...bp is beyond perfect etc so it is truly a 'size' or 'picture' issue at this point. Thanks for your advice. annes73
H-5'5" F

Closed Thread