It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 03:43 AM   #1

Las70 HB User
Unhappy Went to gym last night...want to quit!

Last night I went to the gym for the first time in probably 6-7 years. I didn't EVEN have a clue just how out of shape I was. I don't even know if I could run away if someone was chasing me. Well maybe it's not THAT bad. I am sore. Not too sore just sore enough to tell I did something I am not used to doing. I always thought it would be enough to lose the weight. Now that I have almost done that....My brain is telling me...." come on what's the use of being the right weight if you aren't fit enough to enjoy it?" But I just don't know if I have what it takes to stick with it. Inspiration needed....

Old 06-11-2003, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User
Cool

Why stick with it? Let me count the ways...
... exercise will help you maintain your weightloss.
... fit muscles give your body a pleasing shape.
... exercise relieves stress.
... your body was designed for movement and performs best when it is regularly used.
... you will feel great (the soreness is only temporary.)

Come on, give it a little time. If you haven't been active, of course you will feel weak and sore after exercising. Don't try to do too much the first week or you will give up in frustration. Commit to only 2 or 3 days the first couple of weeks, then add on a day every other week until you are doing a little something every day. Vary your workouts - hard one day and easy the next.

Stick with it and you will love the results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2003, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
Las -

I don't mean to sound insulting, because what I am saying is true for me. Me being in a gym without guidance is like giving a 4 year old a gun. Somebody just might get hurt. It sounds like you may have tried to do too much, too soon. Have you thought about enrolling with a physical trainer?

For my example, the place I did Physical therapy at is also a membership gym as well. They had a program where you could transition over. That program was a couple of years ago, but I paid $165 and ended up getting 18 personal sessions with a trainer, and when I joined the gym, my membership enrollment fee was waived. I've also learned how to use a lot of the equipment safely and not over-do it.

You will do fine. Don't give up.

jdog

Old 06-11-2003, 06:23 AM   #4
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I agree.... Investing in a PT was the best thing I ever did. I quit smoking almost 2 years ago and used the money I saved on the gym and a Personal Trainer. I learned SO MUCH!!!! It also helps with the motivation. I LOVE being sore! Lets me know I'm doing a good job! DOn't quit! Think of what you will look like soon if you keep going!! WOOHOO!!!! You can do it!!!!

Old 06-11-2003, 07:22 AM   #5

Las70 HB User
Yes I did that. At the gym they have trainers there. they are kinda expensive but if I don't know how to do the workout I'll just end up hurting myself. She said that most people use her for about a month and once they get the program down they can handle it themselves. Of corse, she said if I ever had any question or anything or wanted to change things up a bit to just let her know. I am not easily offended and I am not quick to judge. I've been up and down alot of roads in my 32 years and some of them weren't pleasant so who am I to ...wait before I get off into some story that has no end I'll stop myself. Y'know now that I have been up for a while The soreness has actually gotten a little better.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:27 AM   #6
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Check PT companies outside the gym... usually a PT will come to your gym as they usually have memberships at a couple places. I paid $30 for each 30 minute session.... it was worth it. I used him for 3 months, and I loved it! I really learned SO MUCH about working out, toning, gaining muscle/losing fat, when to drink water, when not to, how to eat, etc. It was so worth it... when I look at how I use to work out and how I workout now, what a difference. Good luck, the soreness will pass but don't give up!

Closed Thread