It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 07:59 AM   #1

BEGALILLY HB User
Post I need some help....

I am 5'2" and I weigh about 130. I need some help with what is an ideal weight for me. I don't know where to start. I know I am not comfortable where I am. My thighs/legs are very chunky!! Does anyone know where I should be? Thanks in advance.

Nikki

Old 06-11-2003, 08:30 AM   #2

mishka1111 HB User
Wink

This is the WW ranges for 5'2
First it depends on how old you are
the maxiumn for ages up to 25 years of age is 125.
25-45 y.o is 131
45+ is 136
I am 5'2 & I want to be where you are at. Actually, I did feel comfortable @ 130. The lowest I ever got to was 118 & that was in high school & I was way too skinny. The minimum range for 5'2 according to WW is 109. I tried to be that weight when I was a teenager & never suceeded.
You will probably make those thighs look sleeker with cardio & weight lifting. Remember we have short legs & we will never look like the people who have long legs. I know how you feel, because I hate my chunky legs too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2003, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Nikki,

You'll get all kinds of answers to this question. If you do a search for "ideal weight" charts, you'll find plenty of charts that tell you what someone of your height and gender should weigh. Personally, I don't believe in these charts. I think they're only useful for insurance companies who like to simplify things as much as possible. Another formula I've come across says that for a woman who's 5 feet tall, her weight should be 100 pounds and for every additional inch above 5 feet, add 5 or 6 pounds, can't remember which. That would mean your ideal weight is around 110-112. But keep in mind that ideal weight can't be determined without knowing what kind of frame a person has. So the first thing you should do is determine what kind of frame you have. I happen to think body fat percentage is a much better measure of a person's health than their weight. I don't know off hand what the healthy range is for a woman, although I do know it's higher for women than it is for men. I think that should be your starting point. Look up body fat charts and see what they recommend for you and then find out what yours is. Forget about weight. It's a misleading measure.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #4

WVSLP HB User
DNC - You mentioned the fact that you thought body fat was a better measurement than actual weight. I remember I had my body fat measured in college a few years back and it was like 19%. Hmmm - I'm not even sure if that good or bad. But, that's not my question. I can't really remember how it was done. Do you have to go to someone to have that done or what? Isn't there a tool called a caliper? Sp? I'm getting flashbacks from high school health class. Yikes! How often do you have yours measured or do you do your own? Thanks ... WV

Old 06-11-2003, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
WVSLP,

The most accurate technique is one where you're lowered into a tank of water. But you have to pay someone to do this and it's inconvenient. Calipers are good but generally, you need someone else to take the measurements if you want it to be accurate. I use a fat scale. They're not that accurate, but they're consistent and at least are useful in telling you which direction your body fat is headed. I check mine almost daily. I also compare that to what some online calculators tell me. Those calculators basically ask you to input your weight, gender, height, and certain measurements. So far the numbers I get from the formulas and my scale are pretty close to one another.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
WVSLP, check with the wellness center at your local hospital, many have underwater testing there and you can have it done fairly cheap... my gym does it with calipers and with a handheld machine, but they are generally off by up to 7%, I don't like calipers primarily because you measure above your hips... I have no fat above my hips and the calipers would show 8% which was very inaccurate... as I have lots of fat elsewhere! LOL! But mine say to measure there, so I never get an accurate reading! Also, check the YWCA, they sometimes offer this testing as well... Once you get the real test done, you can get the body fat scales and use those, as you will have an idea how off they are.... for ex: if your actual BF is 20% and the scales show 17%, you can pretty much assume your scales are 3% off and go from there, maybe that will help? Good luck!

Old 06-11-2003, 09:59 AM   #7

WVSLP HB User
DNC and GC - Thanks for the replies! I seriously doubt there is anything like the underwater technique you spoke of around my hometown. I live in a little town in West Virginia. But, I will at least check into it. I'm quite curious now! I think they have a caliper at my gym, at the very least. Thanks! WV

Old 06-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #8

BEGALILLY HB User
Thanks for all the replies. I think I have a better idea of what I need to do. From past experiences I don't lose weight in my legs very easily, so this will be a challenge, but I am determined to lose the weight!!!

Nikki

Closed Thread