It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #1
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Question How precise are you?

I'm just curious... My diet consists of counting calories 5 days per week. On those "diet days" I count every single tiny thing that I eat. I even count gum. I just ate some mini Teddy Grahams a few minutes ago - the package says a serving is 51, so I carefully counted out exactly 51. Sometimes I snack on grapes, and I count how many I'm going to allow myself so I know exactly how many calories to enter into ******. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif Is this weird, or do some of you do it too?

I tried just estimating how much I'm eating, but found that I tend to go a little overboard on my portions, so that's why I started doing exact measurements. I measure or count everything to precisely the serving size I'm going to eat. Do any of you get this detailed about whatever you're counting (calories, carbs, fat, etc.), or am I obsessing?
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

[This message has been edited by Houdini (edited 06-10-2003).]

Old 06-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #2
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
houdini,

no. its called portion control. you should count if that works. i just wish there were a better way of measuring mayo. grrrrr!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #3

Julie-K HB User
Smile

Hi Houdini

My husband accuses me of being obsessive with calorie and food counting and I know I am, I figure it gives me something to do and actually takes my mind off what I am not allowed to eat, and well..... I figure I must be burning calories doing all that mental arithmetic!
The main thing is does it work? It does for me.
You know you have problems (and your diet is inadequate) when you start working out how many calories the 10 sheets of paper in the printer would contain! Wonder if the pink ones have more YUM(lol)?!
Happy dieting!
Jules

Old 06-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
Inactive

Whirl HB User
Cool

Houdini:

I wrote in the summer challenge earlier this week, that I started using ****** yesterday . .and I even ran to the computer to list one (1) - yes that's right one (1) cherry! No . . I don't think that you are wierd. I'm doing it too ...b/c everything that you put in your mouth COUNTS . .its has some value, whether it be nutritional or otherwise. . . it COUNTS http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif I wished I had found ****** earlier!

I love ****** and I told my husband about it . . he smiled when I told him I listed 1 cherry in it...this is all new to me and this accurate counting is new to me but GREAT. I love it. I AM WHAT I EAT!

I just started to read every label and calculate exactly what I'm eating. If you don't how will you ever learn portion control and/or how much you can/can't eat to maintain your weight loss once you get to your desired weight?

I'm no where near close to my goal like you are, but I love ****** and I'd LOVE TO meet whoever invented it. . . they are diet geniuses!!!

Keep up the good work.....sometimes you need to wear pretend you are wearing earplugs.. . want to borrow mine? LOL!! Only kidding http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 06-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Thanks for the replies, you guys! Guess I'm not quite as weird as I thought! Although my husband would beg to differ, LOL!

Thanks again!

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Old 06-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I hit goal and beyond using ****** and yes, like you, counted every single morsel of food. The hardest thing was batter. Just how many calories is in cake batter that you lick from the mixer beaters?

****** really opened my eyes to how many calories I was eating a day. It's amazing how those little things you sneak add up. I counted the cream in my coffee and yes, gum too. I'd have counted one cherry.

One of the things I liked also about the ****** was that strick calorie control also helped once I hit goal. If you know at what level you're losing, it's a lot easier to find a level that will let you maintain once you hit that goal.

I don't use ****** anymore since goal. I'm still compulsive about serving size and NEVER eat more than a serving of any one thing in a day. So far, so good.

I see far too many people say, "I hardly eat a thing yet can't lose weight." Wrong! Use ****** and you'll see you're eating way more than you ever dreamed you were.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #7

luvPeace HB User
whatz ****** where do I find it????

Old 06-11-2003, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I only count stuff that I know is at least 100 calories. The cough drops I have are 15 calories each, but I never count that. I think there's such a thing as being too obsessed with calories.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:33 AM   #9
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
When I first started with my dietician, she recommended ****** and told me to count everything, including a tic tac! It trained me to realize that everything is caloric and it all adds up... a few lifesavers here, a cup of gatorade, butter spray, etc. It adds up so much!!!! Especially if you are trying to stay around 1200 calories... I learned quickly that I did not want to consume wasted calories and learned to really make them count!!!! I have recently gone back to ****** because I am restricting my calories a little more and need to be precise again. What a great tool for weight loss!!! Also, I like to see my trends as time goes on.... don't worry about being too precise... obviously it works!!! Keep up the great work!

Old 06-11-2003, 07:38 AM   #10
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
I was more obsessed when I first started- I even used a kitchen scale to meaure portions of chicken and other meats to be sure I was eating 3-4 ounces.

I think this obsession with portion size is okay at first, because it really is a wake-up call about normal portion sizes.

Now I can eyeball most things, but I still SHOULD check with the scale, measuring cups, ect every now and then to be sure I am still on the right track.

When I go to a restaurant, I try to order healthy items, but I don't worry about portions- because I don't go out very often and it's a real treat for me.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Froggie98, I used to do the same thing. I'd cut up the chicken, weigh it, and make sure it was exactly 4 ounces. Boy, was I anal. I don't do that anymore. Like you, I can now eyeball things.

As for going to restaurants, I treat it as a luxury which is why I won't pay any attention to portion size. My feeling is that if you're paying attention to portion size, then you're indirectly counting calories, and that takes all the fun out of going out to eat. When I'm in a restaurant, I switch my calorie counter off.

GoinCruisin, I agree that calories adds up, but I've learned to worry more about calories per meal rather than calories per day. The potential to gain or lose weight is there with each meal. It's not like the body totals up your calories at the end of the day and then decides whether to gain or lose weight. That's why I don't worry if a given meal had an extra 50 calories. There's still time in the day for me to make up for it. If I ate a bit too much, I just take a 10 minute walk.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #12
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I guess that is what makes a board like this so great!!! Different things work for different people and while none of us are experts, we all have our own ideas from our own experiences Like I said, I stopped counting calories and was eyeballing, but now I am needing to be a little more restrictive and need to get back on track, so I am back to doing it... some people need to count calories, weigh food, etc in order for their plan to be succesful, others don't have to...doesnt make one person weaker just because they choose to count calories strictly and it doesnt make one anal either... some of us need a little more discipline than others... we are all unique and should find something that works for us... that is why I love this board, we are all so different... I learn something new everyday!!!!

Old 06-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #13
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
And I agree about calories per day are more important definitely!!! I have never calculated calories per meal... I know when I need my calories based on when my workouts are scheduled, how many times I am working out, etc... I don't think I have ever calculated calories per meal, but I know there are plans out there that require people to do that... seems a bit more restrictive than I care to be, but whatever works

Old 06-11-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Linda: you are right - using ****** will really open your eyes as to what you're eating. Sure did for me!

luvPeace: go to Yahoo or another search engine & just type in ****** (all one word). You'll find it. It's a very useful tool for keeping track of your calories, carbs, nutrients, exercise, weight - even has a section for everyday journaling. Check it out!

Donuts: I definitely have to count everything. If I said I wasn't going to count things that were under 100 calories, I know I'd just load up on those things too much. I don't count cal's every day of my life, though - just when I'm trying to lose weight. I don't count them while I'm maintaining (unless I stop maintaining! LOL).

I can eyeball most foods, but am afraid that if I don't measure, I'll eventually eyeball more than I need. So measuring is my insurance that I'm doing this right. I don't try to hit a certain goal per meal, but I do try to stick to around 1200 cal per day. Seems to be working!

Cruisin is right: "Different things work for different people and while none of us are experts, we all have our own ideas from our own experiences." It's all just a matter of finding out what works best for you and what permanent changes you can make in your lifestyle. Thanks for all the responses! You guys are great!

------------------

- Will Rogers

Closed Thread