It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
Red face Afraid...

I am afraid I am loosing my motivation to loose weight.

I don't think about it constantly like I did when I frist started this, and I am cheating more (well, I didn't cheat AT ALL for about a month and now I cheat once or twice per week).

I sometimes only work out once per day now (whereas before I ALWAYS did it twice).

My eating is okay, I think- I have been eating salads everyday for lunch just about (from McDonald's or ChickFilA). I know the dressing is high in fat, but the grilled chicken and lettuce are better than the alternaitve, right??

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? I still want to loose about 5-10 more pounds. I look pretty good right now (I wore a red bikini yesterday!!), but I know that I could look better.

I am just not obsessed about it like I was, and I am afraid that the obsession was what drove me.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
That is why I stopped dieting!!! Unless you choose a healthy lifestyle that you can stick with, where you allow yourself an indulgence every so often, you are doomed to fail... If you choose something you can stick with, you won't find a need to "cheat", but have a treat every so often without feeling that guilt. Try to get yourself out of the "diet" mindset and into a healthy lifestyle mindset, it really changes things. As for salads at fast food restaurants, they do have fat free dressings... never get the others. Watched a study the other night that the new salads at McD's and Wendy's have as much fat as burger and fries... so what's the point? LOL! You can get back to it, but you have to want it... and realize that if you don't eat healthy and exercise, you won't look the way you want... and it gets harder and harder as we get older. You can do it!! Sounds like you are still doing well... obsessing over it is not healthy either. Working out once a day is plenty, and gives you a chance to have a life outside of working out and eating healthy! Don't fret

[This message has been edited by GoinCruisin (edited 06-09-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
Thanks- I was concerned about the salad issue (with the amount of fat and calories).

I agree about the "diet" mindset. I don't want to obsess over it, and perhaps the reason I am not obsessing as much is that I have become accustomed to eating healthy foods- it's second nature and I don't have to think about it as often.

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement. Now I need to find some healthy lunch ideas. I have 45 minutes, so I guess I could go home and sautee some veggies or something...

Old 06-09-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Froggie98,

I'm going through exactly the same thing. Well, except for the bikini part.

I don't seem quite as motivated as I did in the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm closer to my target. In the past, I hated the way I looked and hated the size of my clothes. But now I wear smaller clothes that aren't tight and I no longer hate how I look. I'm pretty sure that's my problem. What kept me motivated was hating the image in the mirror and feeling self-conscious. Now I don't get grossed out looking in the mirror and I don't feel as self-conscious. There's less urgency to lose the rest of the fat. I still have another 10-15 pounds to lose, but I'm not in such a rush anymore. The obsession is gone.

In the past, I would only cheat on my designated cheat day. Now I'm cheating during the week several times. I still work out as much as I did before though.

I think I need to find something to make myself self-conscious again. Something that'll scare me back into eating better.

By the way, I would avoid salads at fast food joints. Even without dressing, they're loaded with calories. Just go to their websites and look up the nutritional info. You might as well get a burger.

If you think of a way to get the motivation back, let me know.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:48 PM   #5
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
YES- that's exactly my problem, I think. Everyone is telling me how great I look... and it makes me think I can let up a little bit.

I haven't let up much- I am just worried that I will.

I'm thinking that, if I keep weighing and realizing that I still have only 4 pounds to go I will keep pushing. I also think that I can adjust my goals as I go. Once I hit 130, I might try for 125.

Anyway, I think we can stay motivated by remembering how awful we felt about ourselves before and realize that we never want to feel that way again. When we start to gain a little, we'll realize that we must "get back on the wagon."

Old 06-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
The problem is that I fall into the trap where I start to think that one candy bar won't be a big deal. After all, it's only 230 extra calories, which is not even a pound. But then you say that everyday and before long, it adds up to a pound. That happened to me last week. I saw some candy and said, "What's the harm in having one candy bar?" And I kept saying that so that by the end of the week, the scale showed a big increase in my weight. When it comes to junk food, it's kind of an all-or-none deal thing with me. I can't seem to moderate it.

I think I need to scare myself back on track. Where I work, I'm one of the thinnest. Maybe I need to surround myself with people who are in better shape than me. I wish I could find a job where people paid me to eat healthy and exercise and stay in shape. Oh wait, that's called being an actor.

Old 06-09-2003, 02:35 PM   #7
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
LOL!! You are so right. They have hours to work out daily PLUS they have a trainer that tells them what to eat and stuff. Must be nice! But, I'm sure there are downsides to being famous and having lots of money... but I can't think of any right now.

I am one of the thinnest at my office, too, but I am also the youngest (except for some of the secretaries). My friends, however, are all thinnner than me... at least they used to be. Now I look like them since I have lost this 20 pounds.

Anyway, I think I am ready to get back on track, too. We just need to rememeber that it's not the things we do every once in a while that affect our weight- it's the things we do every day. If we can keep that in mind, it'll allow us a treat now and then, but it'll remind us that a candy bar every day is not a treat- that's a way of eating that we DON'T want to start.

Thanks for the replies!!! You are fun to "talk" to. Plus, it sounds like we have much in common in the weight loss arena. It's nice to find someone who understands- that's why I love this board. Everyone is so supportive.

Well, I should get back to work- I have to analyze some data- YUCK. Not in the mood for that this afternoon!

Old 06-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #8

skybornmusic HB User
I have a couple things I have been doing when my motivation lapses (which happens pretty often -- there are just SO many Snickers bars in the world!) and I would say that they help about half the time. I wish I had a surefire way to ward off the chocolate monsters, but whenever I feel them sneaking up, I try to take these two steps before giving in:

1) I have a picture that I cut out of a magazine of somebody who looks like I want to look. This is NOT a picture of a tall, leggy, inhuman supermodel, but rather someone with a similar body type to mine, except in REALLY great shape. (I think it's really essential that the person have a body that I know I could theoretically have.) Looking at the picture can be really inspiring. Also, the person in this picture is mid-walk, so sometimes it makes me want to get up and walk around instead of eating.

2) I go back and read my journal entries from right after I have eaten a bunch of junk. (This is not strictly a food journal, but much of what I write relates to food.) If I break my diet or binge, it is usually because I was unhappy or lonely, and reading my journal entries reminds me that overeating NEVER helps those feelings, plus it makes me feel physically digusting. Even if that doesn't stop me from eating things I shouldn't, it almost always makes me eat a lot less than I would have.

Those are definitely no panacea and I still struggle with this a lot, but they can definitely boost me when I'm wavering.

Old 06-10-2003, 10:15 PM   #9

luvmisailor32 HB User
I know exactly what you mean about the motivation. I went to the gym for 10 hours a week for 8 months and only lost like 10 pounds. I got so discouraged that I gave up trying for about a year. I'm back on the low carb lifestyle because that's what seems to work for me; I still can't make myself work out- though, I found that when I work out all I want to do is eat massive amounts of carbs! It's a horrible cycle.

My plan is to get close to my goal weight and then start working out. My advice is to have a long talk with yourself about what you want to achieve and then realize that the only way to achieve long term success is to stick with whatever plan you're currently on. For me it's munching on nuts and drinking decaf all day. But I take a multi so I still figure I'm getting what I need. But i don't recommend my plan to anyone; it's just what works for me. I eat meat a few times a week and salads. But mostly I just eat the nuts.

Good luck to you.

peace
dana

------------------
Luvmisailor32

Old 06-11-2003, 05:37 AM   #10
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
Thank you all for the replies! I like the suggestion about keeping a journal- and I also think I WILL have a long talk with myself about what I want to do.

I think I have step throat or something! My throat hurts and I am coughing, etc. I only walked for a few minutes yesterday because I felt so crappy. I feel better today, so I am going to try to go to an aerobics class.

Anyway, thanks! I kind of feel like I am back on track- except for the exercise. I'll get back on that when I feel better.

You all are GREAT. I love this board!!!!!

Old 06-11-2003, 06:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by luvmisailor32:
I found that when I work out all I want to do is eat massive amounts of carbs! It's a horrible cycle.
That's a normal reaction. By working out, you've lowered your blood sugar and your body reacts by asking for more carbs so it can bring that sugar level back to normal. This is why I don't believe in low-carbing. Instead, I believe in being smarter about what carbs you have and when. If I didn't eat something with complex carbs in it after my workouts, I wouldn't have lasted this long.

Old 06-12-2003, 03:51 AM   #12

Las70 HB User
GO FROGGIE...IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY.....GO FROGGIE IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY

FROGGIE, FROGGIE
LOSE THAT WIEGHT
DO IT NOW
DON'T HESITATE

FROGGIE FROGGIE..SHE'S OUR MAN(MAKES NO SENSE I KNOW BUT IT RHYMES)
SHE'LL LOSE THAT WIEGHT WE KNOW SHE CAN!!!

Just a few cheers for moral. I am such a goober.

Closed Thread