It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #1

FlaxGirl HB User
Post QUESTION ABOUT CALORIES BURNT

I hear over and over again.... you will lose weight if you burn more calories then you consume.. and this seems right on... the only question i have is its easy to see on the elliptical, treadmills, and bikes exactly (or approximately) you have burnt... besides actual exercises.. I am a full time waitress at a fridays (ALWAYS SO BUSY)i run around for 12 hours a shift! How do i factor this into my exercise per day when i always go to the gym for an hour a day! I am of a good healthy weight for my height and im not complaining about my weight i just was wondering.. for self knowledge....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2003, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
FlaxGirl,

I have no idea how much it is, but I would not count it anyway. The problem with factoring it in is that you might use it as an excuse not to do your regular exercise. I've seen a lot of people who have where they're on their feet all day and when it comes time to exercise, they say they don't really need it cause they've been walking around all day anyway. Just think of it as bonus exercise.

Also don't pay attention to the readout on a treadmill or other equipment. The people who program those displays make assumptions about the average height, age, build, etc. about a person. Usually the number displayed is higher than what you really burned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2003, 01:04 AM   #3

Anonymid HB User
On the machines, I'd take ur BMR away from the number cos you usually already have counted those calories. If your on your feet more than 2 hours a day, then try and think what else makes u feel that breathless. If you dont get breathless then it's not really worth counting.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:43 PM   #4

FlaxGirl HB User
I understand both your points.. although i dont completely agree with the only thing that matters is what keeps you breathless.. nothing actually should keep you breathless....even running you should be able to hold up a short convo... for normal breathing.. but the thing is i do rapidly walk for 8-12 hours a day.. plus my hour at the gym.... ive had this schedule so long and lost weight from it.. but im at my beloved plateau so jsut looking for help in overcoming that...

Old 06-12-2003, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I'm not sure that I would count it either.... if anything, it is a bonus... it basically counts more towards your b metabolic rate and throws you into an active category, so yes, your body is burning more calories through your normal activities, but does not count towards your aerobic activity... good luck and keep up the good work!

Closed Thread